Need Rear Shock Stiffer

DaveVato

By shorter and taller you mean by adjusting preload right? (if you cut a spring, you change the spring rate).

Assuming a linear rate spring (easiest to talk about) they have a certain spring rate (200 pounds per inch as an example). When the spring is uncompressed, it takes 200 lbs to compress that spring one inch. To compress it another inch, it takes another 200 lbs. So to compress that spring 2 inches takes 400 lbs. Now say that spring is on the shock. If it is compressed 1 inch due to preload, it will take 200 lbs of force before the shock will start to compress. If its compressed 3 inches due to preload it will take 600 lbs of force before the shock starts to move. Once it starts moving though, its still a 200lb/in spring. All the preload is doing is determing how far the shock is compressed when the machine is sitting still. With a heavier rider, you use more preload to achieve the same ride height. Therefore the shock will act the same for the heavier rider with more preload as it will for the lighter rider with less preload (this is only taking spring rate into account, not valving).

That make any sense?

Edit: as far as coil bind, It shouldn't happen as long as the people that made the shocks paid attention to what they were doing and used long enough springs.

Cutting the spring does change the spring rate.............I excluded that from my previous statement as I figured that no one would want to do that.

I believe the rest of that makes sense, but it still doesn't change the fact that cranking down the preload allows the suspension system to carry any more weight and byy cranking down the preload you are using up your spring travel. Something from another medium that you might compare preload to is the gain adjustment on a car stereo amplifier. I know that's a stretch, but there seems to be a need for an alternative explanation here. :geek:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cutting the spring does change the spring rate.............I excluded that from my previous statement as I figured that no one would want to do that.

There have been some stupid people on here before. You never know. (better too much information than not enough)

Edited by dawarriorman

It is not so much that it travels more before binding..............you will always have the same amount of shock travel. It is that you are indexing the spring to the shock body. Basically you are changing the ratio of spring up travel available vs. shock up travel available or vice versa.

I think the big hang up here is that you have to buy into the fact that adjusting preload does not change the the rate (load capacity) of the spring. If a person is going to aregue about that, then I cannot help them. It's a straight, black and white fact. However, if you do believe otherwise I have a magic carburetor that runs on water that I would like to sell you.

so is what dawarriorman said correct, that explination made more sense to me but, maybe i'm one of those stupid people :shrug:

so is what dawarriorman said correct, that explination made more sense to me but, maybe i'm one of those stupid people :shrug:

Nah, I think I was having a hard time articulating this subject. This is definitely a subject that you need to be able to relate to something to understand it, especially if you hade been operating under the assumption that cranking down the preload will be the solution to the problem that is created when your swingarm gets longer and you get fatter. :geek:

Nah, I think I was having a hard time articulating this subject. This is definitely a subject that you need to be able to relate to something to understand it, especially if you hade been operating under the assumption that cranking down the preload will be the solution to the problem that is created when your swingarm gets longer and you get fatter. :geek:

There, thats it. I think what confuses some people is that even with a longer swingarm (or a-arms even), you might be able to crank down the preload to get an acceptable ride height. And THAT fools people into thinking that they stiffened their shock.

There, thats it. I think what confuses some people is that even with a longer swingarm (or a-arms even), you might be able to crank down the preload to get an acceptable ride height. And THAT fools people into thinking that they stiffened their shock.

Word. :thumbsup:

Word. :thumbsup:

Quick updated, everything firehead was discussing confirms it. I put the 425 spring on the stock shock, put it on and it didnt do jack, the thing still dropped to the ground. So needless to say I had to take the raptor to silverlake. I called TCS and they guy laughed at me when I told him about the 425 spring, said it wasnt even close. I am sending the shock out there sometime this week for the conversion. So I have a 425 hypercoil for sale now.

Quick updated, everything firehead was discussing confirms it. I put the 425 spring on the stock shock, put it on and it didnt do jack, the thing still dropped to the ground. So needless to say I had to take the raptor to silverlake. I called TCS and they guy laughed at me when I told him about the 425 spring, said it wasnt even close. I am sending the shock out there sometime this week for the conversion. So I have a 425 hypercoil for sale now.

That 425 spring would probably be great for someone with a little shorther arm and/or weighs less than 200lbs. :thumbsup:

TCS is awesome, by the way. If you happen to see them at their shop, in person, it's pretty interesting, but they are out in Lake Elsinore, and the folks out there can be kind of weird. :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...
If you happen to see them at their shop, in person, it's pretty interesting, but they are out in Lake Elsinore, and the folks out there can be kind of weird. :biggrin:

I'll second that...I hang glide with the "E Team" out in Elsinore once in a while... It's kinda cool to see guys/girls with guns and kids riding dirt bikes on the street.... :whistling:

I hear that New Years Eve can be interesting though...

I'll second that...I hang glide with the "E Team" out in Elsinore once in a while... It's kinda cool to see guys/girls with guns and kids riding dirt bikes on the street.... :whistling:

I hear that New Years Eve can be interesting though...

..............also, Lake Elsinore smells funny. :ermm: