LTZ400 or YFZ 450 Shocks

Nitmare67

I know the LTZ400 shocks are supposed to be about an inch longer so that would be a bit more ground clearance but how good are the shocks. I dont want to spend over 200 for the fronts really so I'm looking at either stock yfz shocks with rezzis or the LTZ shocks with rezzis. I won the arms and spindles, hubs off ebay yesterday so I hope to get this project underway soon. Already made my tie rods at work so thats out of the way. Really appreciate all the help and input into this from anyone with experience with this sort of swap.

i rode a ltz400 last weekend while my buddy was on my banshee i was on his ltz, all i can say is it might as well not had any shocks on it at all it rode like a brick!!!

I wonder if that has more to do with the shocks or with them just not set properly? Anybody else?

there is no adjustments on them, well ok they have the same preload adjuster as stock banshee shocks if you want to call that a adjustment

for the early Z400 shocks, this is correct. for the later Z400 shocks with reservoirs, they have the same adjustments as a YFZ shock. plus the rezy's are in the same location. but they are a bit longer.

for the early Z400 shocks, this is correct. for the later Z400 shocks with reservoirs, they have the same adjustments as a YFZ shock. plus the rezy's are in the same location. but they are a bit longer.

Thats what I was thinking as long as the shocks are as good as the yfz then it would give me a bit more ride height. Is the height really an issue with yfz shocks. I know they go for about the same price on the internet and such so which way should I really go. I know using the yfz spindles will help the camber and front end alignment and such. I am a 230lbs rider though and I think yfz shocks are valved for 220lb stock or I read that some place. I hope to be back down to 220 soon haha. Then again I am 6'3". Well what do you guys think. I appreciate all the help and especially your write up Mullet Man.

the front of the z400 feels really soft to me compared to my yfz or my other buddies kfx450r. but none the less they are still better then stock shee shocks... i personally like the feel of the yfz shocks stock for stock over every bike i have rode. but then again im only 175 pounds :shrug:

the front of the z400 feels really soft to me compared to my yfz or my other buddies kfx450r. but none the less they are still better then stock shee shocks... i personally like the feel of the yfz shocks stock for stock over every bike i have rode. but then again im only 175 pounds :shrug:

Here is a link to an ebay auction for a set of the newer LTZ400 shocks...the seller measures 17" from eye to eye...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/suzuki-ltz4...1QQcmdZViewItem

I might try a set of these since the 450r shocks won't work. With the yfz spindles, with the front end in the air, I measure 17" from center to center on the bolt holes, so these shocks should slide right in without compressing even. Just a little worried it might sit too high.

Edited by melon350

I have a set of 05 Z400 shocks I will sell for 225.00 shipped. I would also look at the 450r shocks, that is what I have on my z400 now and they are a much nicer ride. The 450r shocks are 5/8" shorter than the Z400 shocks. I also have a buddy with 2 sets of yfz450 shocks ( he went to fox floats ). I can see what he wants for them if you would like.

I have a set of 05 Z400 shocks I will sell for 225.00 shipped. I would also look at the 450r shocks, that is what I have on my z400 now and they are a much nicer ride. The 450r shocks are 5/8" shorter than the Z400 shocks. I also have a buddy with 2 sets of yfz450 shocks ( he went to fox floats ). I can see what he wants for them if you would like.

I dont believe the 450r shocks with work. I saw another thread a member started and his rezis hit the upper a arms under compression. From the pic he posted I dont see a way to avoid it. Let me know what your buddy wants for a set of those yfz shocks. I really wanted to run the 450r shocks but I just dont think they will work...