how to do powdercoating

well i have my frame completely stripped already.... just need some tips on how to do it my self not trying to be perfect for the first time just trying to learn how to do it...........what kind of tools i need i have a 125psi compressor and a regular paint gun and thats it is that good enough.........ill have the frame sand blasted before i paint it...................how to melt the powder coat without the oven is there anyone in miami or cutler ridge area that could do it for me........

I was planning to build myself an oven and get a nice setup for powder coating. At first it didn't seem expensive, around $200-300. But I don't like to half ass stuff, and so little things kept making it cost more and more. Plus 8000 watts will raise the electric bill pretty quick. Ended up I would have spent around $600 to do it, so I scrapped the whole idea.

To answer your question though:

Small parts you can just get an oven from the classifieds or junkyard. For something like a frame you have to build one. Use insulation and galvanized steel, rivet it all together. You need a fan, a couple heating elements. And then the thermostat/controls. There was a kit on ebay that was decent priced, I'll see if I can find it. You also need a powdercoating gun, and a moisture filter for your air compressor, as well as a regulator. The guns use fairly low pressure < 20 psi. http://www.caswellplating.com/ This place and their forums have tons of info.

Edited by dawarriorman

You will NEED a PC gun they negatively charge the powder and positively charge the metal so to will stick like a magnet. Craftman sells one for a decent price and it does a good job with some practice. I also know a guy that can get them and if you are interested PM me I will get you price. You can use your oven at home to cure your stuff its nontoxic. The lamp work good with small stuff but you will need a heat gun. You can use a lamp on a frame but it will take you ALL day. What can you make at a day of work? Do the math should you work one day or PC your frame one day. Good luck like I said if you really want a gun PM me. Here some pics from pcing a frame with a lamp

camjan453.jpg

camjan457.jpg

camjan462.jpg

camjan470.jpg

Don't forget then you will need to start over for clear

camfeb554.jpg

Summit racing also sells a powder gun pretty cheap. Wouldn't be bad for small things like a-arms and stuff. Dont know if I'd try a frame though... But thats just me.. I'm kinda lazy when it comes to stuff like that.

Hey guys I own a Powdercoating shop in Arkansas, probably doesnt help you much. I am a compete sandblast and powdercoat facility with 6 yrs experience. you have to have a powdercoat gun to spray with and in my opinion the lamp process is a waste of time. it takes wayyy too long and not a good even heat distribution on the powder flow out. to give you an idea of the proper set up on my banshee I stripped it down completely took it out and started sandblasting it at 8 a.m. and started to RE-ASSEMBLE the bike by noon and my frame was a 3 coat process. if you would like me to do your frame you can ship it to me and ill blast it, coat it, and clear coat it any color $300 and ship it back to you. Thankx Justin

• 4 weeks later...
I was planning to build myself an oven and get a nice setup for powder coating. At first it didn't seem expensive, around $200-300. But I don't like to half ass stuff, and so little things kept making it cost more and more. Plus 8000 watts will raise the electric bill pretty quick. Ended up I would have spent around $600 to do it, so I scrapped the whole idea.

To answer your question though:

Small parts you can just get an oven from the classifieds or junkyard. For something like a frame you have to build one. Use insulation and galvanized steel, rivet it all together. You need a fan, a couple heating elements. And then the thermostat/controls. There was a kit on ebay that was decent priced, I'll see if I can find it. You also need a powdercoating gun, and a moisture filter for your air compressor, as well as a regulator. The guns use fairly low pressure < 20 psi. http://www.caswellplating.com/ This place and their forums have tons of info.

I am searching ebay for that kit you are talking about. I am not having any luck. What are some good keywords to finsing it?