Could someone explain what ring gap is

with out installing them on your pistons.. slide them into your cylinders.. then use the top of the piston to push them down a little bit to insure they are flat.... with a feeler gauge...(Click here) you messur how big the gap is... per inch of bore you need a certain amount of gap to insure you dont weld the two ends together and fry your motor. when you buy new pistons they come with a peice of paper that should tell you how to do the math... stock 64mm bore you need .010-.012 gap...

So how do you measure the rings when they are in the cylinders. I dont get it.

If the cylinder is off and the piston out you can check ring gap. Take a ring and place it in the cylinder as if it were on the piston a inch or so down the bore. Then take the piston and push the ring down another inch or with the doom side to insure the ring is square in the bore. Now you measure the gap between the two ends of the ring.

Damn looks like Bansh-eman posted while i was typing.

Edited by MFIC

each piston manufacutre is a little differant but wiesco should be around the same... i dont remember the math but if there is a change its probly... .012-.014 but without doing the math i cant say for sure... converting 65mm to inches is 2.54 i bleive