elka front shocks

jet mech

:thumbsup: just got done putting my new elka front shocks to the test it took me 2 good days of hard trail rideing to adjust to were i felt they were perfect for my level these shocks are the real deal the people at elka have it down 100% satisfied I can hit jumps and go right into technical tight turns at high speeds and those shocks eat it up man they are compresion and preload adjust only and i say if you want the good shit hands down go elka baby they also look bad ass :thumbsup:

what valving did you ask for?..MX, XC, dune Ect?? Beginner, Novice, expert ect... I only ask because when I got mine a while back I asked for XC valving so they could do a little bit of everything and now after I've been riding them for a while. I always thought that they were too soft. I came to find out that they were valved for xc beginner after i called to ask for service in terms of revalving from sebastian and I was a little pissed. I told him that I'd been riding for 20 years when I first ordered the shocks and rode hard but he gave me something for a beginner right off of the shelf. One shock is blown so I got them boxed today and I'm sending them out to get them both serviced and revalved...I'm leaning towards mx expert but I'm not sure what I should get exactly. Problem is they'll never be perfect unless the guy building your shocks watches the way that you ride first. What I would really like to do is talk to the guy who's building my shocks not the guy who's trying to sell me on the product. Thanks for any input or suggestions.

are you haveing Elka rebuild them? I bet that they will do you right. I want to call them now and verify my build specs. I told them that I do it all so it is going to see some air and that i ride some pretty heavy trails so I wonder what I ended up with I hope that your set was just a mistake made on their part

Yup, elka is rebuilding them. they said that they would call me when they get my shocks just to go over valving options even though I refiled a new work order with new options like mx expert valving ect.. The shipping costs are a bitch though. Hopefully they get tuned a little better to my style. I mean I don't just ride mx so that why I figured initially that XC would be my best option but maybe mx is better all around for riding hard. we'll see what happens.. I told them pretty much the same thing you said when I ordered mine too but like you said your's feel pretty good so I'll bet you're setup is closer to what you asked for. oh yeah and all you have to do is give them the serial #'s on your shocks and they can tell you your valving setup.

what valving did you ask for?..MX, XC, dune Ect?? Beginner, Novice, expert ect... I only ask because when I got mine a while back I asked for XC valving so they could do a little bit of everything and now after I've been riding them for a while. I always thought that they were too soft. I came to find out that they were valved for xc beginner after i called to ask for service in terms of revalving from sebastian and I was a little pissed. I told him that I'd been riding for 20 years when I first ordered the shocks and rode hard but he gave me something for a beginner right off of the shelf. One shock is blown so I got them boxed today and I'm sending them out to get them both serviced and revalved...I'm leaning towards mx expert but I'm not sure what I should get exactly. Problem is they'll never be perfect unless the guy building your shocks watches the way that you ride first. What I would really like to do is talk to the guy who's building my shocks not the guy who's trying to sell me on the product. Thanks for any input or suggestions.

I had the same problem. Can you PM me the information to get them revalved. Pretty bad when LTR shocks perform better than my Elkas. They were set way to soft. it feels like the front end wants to roll in the corners.

In case anyone wants to know how to send their Shocks back to Elka for Servicing I wrote what I did to help anyone's return process go a little more smoothly.

What you need to do is take your shocks and clean them well with water and light soap or whatever to get them pretty clean. I wrapped mine in bubble wrap and boxed them individually so that they wouldn't rub and scratch. I used a set of car shock boxes from my auto shop. After that get a box to put both boxes in together. I Used a windshield washer solvent box. Ups has boxes that you can purchase too. what you want to do next is download and print out these 3 sheets of paper...here are the links to each one. Now before you do anything with these sheets, make sure that you call elka first and get an RGA # or Returned Goods Authorization #. Write these #'s on all 3 sheets. Elka will ask when you call why you are returning them for service. This first one is the one you want to package in your box on top for them to open..

SERVICE WORK ORDER FORM: http://www.elkasuspension.com/sharedfiles/...ceWorkOrder.pdf

The next 2 go outside the box but just bring them to UPS and they'll take care of posting these sheets to the box.

COMMERCIAL INVOICE: http://www.elkasuspension.com/sharedfiles/...cialInvoice.pdf

DIRECT SHIPPING LABEL: this one is preferred over the US shipping label. I was told that if you use the US label it will take forever to get to Elka in Quebec. http://www.elkasuspension.com/sharedfiles/...abel-DIRECT.pdf

Also make sure that you use your Social Security # or Tax ID # from your business as authorization for Customs in Canada. Write these #'s down on the Service Work Order and Commercial Invoice. When I got to UPS I insured them for $850 Which cost an extra $7 and sent them out standard shipping. Total Cost of Shipping From NJ was about $30. Would get there in 2 days. Turn around time from the time they get your shocks is supposedly about 10 to 14 days I wrote down in the Description of Problem Area on the bottom of the Service work order page that I wanted to be contacted when they received my package so I could go over valving options. This time I want to make sure that it's done more thoroughly. Hope this Helps.

Sorry the links didn't work: Here is a link right to that page from elka's site. http://www.elkasuspension.com/service/forms.html

Edited by floyd398

Interesting I was going to have my elkas serviced localy by Percision conceptz instead. I think I'm going to keep elaks valving though, I'm actualy happy with it. I asked them for Expert at all levels and ordered dune eddition shocks with dune valving.

if i was going to have them revalved I would probably go with percision concepts valving since they used to re-valve elka shocks for pro riders all the time before elka changed their sponsorship rules.

OOOOOh just got a pair of dune edition dual rate's for my oscar meyer shee, can't wait to try them out! :ninja:

Those Elkas should look nice with all that red! Which shocks are you going with for the Bud Light Banshee? Kaotik1 has some Works Tripples for a nice price!

Thanks! I'm not too sure what is going on the Bud Light shee, I was going to buy Steves works shocks, but he ended up not getting his Elkas. I might go with the same dune editions, I just ordered some +2+1 LSR a arms after our last ride at Pismo everyone agreed that it was to tipsy. Don't know they are so pricy I am going broke with upgrading my 4 bikes.

While we're on the topic of Valving, I was curious if someone could Give some experience related advice on one of Elka's valving options over the other for the type of riding I do. First of all I like to hit whoops sections riding pretty hard . that means like 4th gear wide open which makes me want to lean towards XC valving and I do ride some tighter trails on occasion when neccasary. Also, I like to go to the track a couple times a year....rausch creek PA. My question is should I stick with XC valving but at expert level instead of the beginner shit they gave me off of the shelf or should I go with MX at expert? I would like to keep the shocks a little responsive over the the flat and choppy shit but in terms of getting air, at most I'll be hitting a jump where I get 6-8 feet of air. I know it's a detailed question but any advice would be appreciated. Also I am getting the shocks resprung for +2 A-Arms cause I'm looking to order a set of quicksand's soon. I know that they might be a little stiff for a while but I'll deal until I get the extended A- Arms. I'm expecting a call from elka tomorrow and am leaning towards XC expert but would like a second or third opinion. Thanks for any feedback.