450 KIts!

2003LimitedBanshee

Good news folks, spacer production is just about back up and running! Sredish, I should have a little more time later this evening to address your questions, but should be able to answer them completely. Thanks for the continued interest everyone, I hope I can help a lot of you with this budget friendly conversion; we can all stand to save a buck these days!

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That sounds great. do you still have the jigs and willing to do the modification? What modification is necessary, I don't think I ever got that part?

So, we'd need the YFZ arms and shocks, then the spacers, modify the arms somehow then pair them back up with the Banshee spindles and hook on some YFZ tie rods and we're good to go.

Once done, on the Banshee, are the shocks stiffer or softer than the stock Banshee setup and how does it compare to when the setup is on the YFZ? Anyone do any revalves of the shocks?

Sredish, yes I do still have my jigs, I actually dug them out and dusted them off just the other day. Essentially what you are doing is trimming the A-arm mounting tube on the rear of the rear cross tube and the front of the front cross tube. If you check out the close up pics of at the beginning of the post, or in the quoted reply on page 8, the last two pictures in the sequence show what I am trying to explain. Essentially the YFZ450 A-arm is slightly too wide for the stock frame mounts on the banshee, but by trimming the "outside" of each mount (on the A-arm) the 450 arms will fit within the frame mount dimensions. But, this leaves a gap where the inner cross tubes are not supported by the frame mount. Without this support, it would be possible for A-arm to be flexed, at least in theory. The spacer/sleeve I designed replaces the inner steel sleeve of the stock design and incorporates the spacer that will properly support the A-arm. In my modification I also modify the stock bushing in the A-arm so that the grease zerk isn't blocked by the stock spacer and it can still be properly greased.

The 450 A-arms will work just fine with the stock banshee spindles. If at some point you went with different shocks (i.e. longer shocks than the stockers from the 450) the banshee spindle design will limit the travel downwards of the a-arms, they will bind. However, if you do not switch to different shocks or if you do but you also add 450 spindles you will eliminate this problem. The stock 450 tie rods will barely, BARELY work, but I would recommend going with an aftermarket tie rod. I may be able to resume offering the tie rods in addition to the spacers shortly as well.

Hopefully I've answered some lingering questions, but please feel free to shoot them out here and I will do my best to answer them promptly. That is one thing I pride myself on. I think you will find anyone you ask who purchased parts from me in the past always got their parts fast and always received good communication through the process. Thanks for the continued interest!!!! - Brian

How much?

It is looking like the price on just the spacers is going to go up very slightly to $55 shipped to the lower 48 states. I am still going to offer my modification service where I would modify your lower arms (which you ship to me), modify the bushings, install my spacer/sleeves and cover the ground UPS freight back to you. I was doing that service for $125 total. I am trying to come up with core parts right now for the complete swap, shocks being the harder find still. But it is looking like A-arm kits (no shocks yet) are going to be right around $265. At that price you would need to supply shocks and tie rods are still up in the air. I may be able to provide tie rods also, but that is not for sure yet. Thanks for all the interest, I'm getting PM's right and left, so thank you! - Brian

Thanks Brian, I'm watching closely, and I'd probably be interested in a 'core - ready to go' unit. In fact, I'll take dibs on first full a-arm order and I'll probably pair them with a set of non-rezzie elkas or something.

Edited by sredish

Spacers are in and ready to ship out via USPS Priority Mail. Final cost on spacers is $55 shipped to any location in continental US. Sredish, will also have two complete A-arm kits available; one in silver one in orange. I'm not completely sure yet if I will have shocks to go with these kits at this time or not.

• 2 weeks later...

Currently have a set of orange arms and a set of blue arms (new balljoints lower) prepped for shipping. Also, still have a few sets of spacers in this initial run.

ALSO, have a new twist on this conversion that has me excited! Hope to be able to post pics up within about a week or so!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I dont mean to hijack the thread but figured this is related. I just bought some 450 a arms but havent recieved them yet and I've read that the stock ball joints will bind if the suspension is allowed to move further down than the 450 shocks will allow such as with aftermarket shocks that are longer. By looking at pictures it appears that it is the uppers that will bind because the banshee spindle is designed for ball joints that are installed on the end of an arm that is bent up like a banshee stock a arm, whereas the 450 upper a arms appear to be almost straight so the ball joint is on a different angle. The lower ball joint looks like it is on the same angle as one in a banshee a arm so it should have no problems right? I was thinking of taking the stock banshee spindles and heating the upper ball joint mounts and bending them upwards a bit to change the angle to that of a 450 spindle. Im sure if you let the spindle cool off slow enough and then bake it in an oven to normalize it you shouldnt have any problems with hardening the spindle and making it brittle. I know you can just buy yfz spindles and hubs but I thought of just trying this, I like to try and make things work instead of replacing them and im on a limited budget, any input or ideas?

I dont mean to hijack the thread but figured this is related. I just bought some 450 a arms but havent recieved them yet and I've read that the stock ball joints will bind if the suspension is allowed to move further down than the 450 shocks will allow such as with aftermarket shocks that are longer. By looking at pictures it appears that it is the uppers that will bind because the banshee spindle is designed for ball joints that are installed on the end of an arm that is bent up like a banshee stock a arm, whereas the 450 upper a arms appear to be almost straight so the ball joint is on a different angle. The lower ball joint looks like it is on the same angle as one in a banshee a arm so it should have no problems right? I was thinking of taking the stock banshee spindles and heating the upper ball joint mounts and bending them upwards a bit to change the angle to that of a 450 spindle. Im sure if you let the spindle cool off slow enough and then bake it in an oven to normalize it you shouldnt have any problems with hardening the spindle and making it brittle. I know you can just buy yfz spindles and hubs but I thought of just trying this, I like to try and make things work instead of replacing them and im on a limited budget, any input or ideas?

I see your way of thinking and you are correct on the upper being the problem however i would be a little iffy on heating up the spindle it could make them weaker and not worth the money you can find spindles for. i ran my 450 arms/shocks for a couple weeks and had the chance to test it at glamis and was very happy but i would like to bring it up a bit so i found a set of complete 450 spindles,rotor,calipers and hubs for $70 shipped now i am looking for longer shocks, here is a picture after swapping one spindle over to the 450 (right in picture) it gives me about 3 more inches of travel not to mention another benefit is the much better dual piston brakes. now with that being said just using the stock 450 arms/shocks is a great improvement over stock and i would have been more than happy with that but thats not me.

post-31113-1238912218_thumb.jpg

damn thats a big difference,im runninf the 450 spindles and am considering getting some fox shocks for the front. what suspension are you planning on using?

also, thanks for the spacers brian, bolted up perfect!

Edited by doorslammer

damn thats a big difference,im runninf the 450 spindles and am considering getting some fox shocks for the front. what suspension are you planning on using?

Yea i could not believe the difference either, as far as my set up i will be keeping the yfz arms now that i have the spindles and noss tie rods but i will be changing the shocks. fully dropped it measures a little more than 17.5 inches so ideally i am looking for a shock no more than than 17.0 i am kind of bum because i found a guy locally that has a couple pairs of brand new nice can-am rez. shocks but they are 18.5 inches so i think it would put to much stress on my ball joints when i jump i thought about adding 17inch limiting straps but i think it would sit to high so the search continues hell since i plan on keeping this set up i might even just bite the bullet and by a new set of works.

Glad to hear they worked out for you and made it across the ocean fine!

Yea i could not believe the difference either, as far as my set up i will be keeping the yfz arms now that i have the spindles and noss tie rods but i will be changing the shocks. fully dropped it measures a little more than 17.5 inches so ideally i am looking for a shock no more than than 17.0 i am kind of bum because i found a guy locally that has a couple pairs of brand new nice can-am rez. shocks but they are 18.5 inches so i think it would put to much stress on my ball joints when i jump i thought about adding 17inch limiting straps but i think it would sit to high so the search continues hell since i plan on keeping this set up i might even just bite the bullet and by a new set of works.

Limiting straps would be a good idea, I might look into that for my new YFZ450R shocks. I actually like the idea of limiting straps, that way neither the ball joints or the shocks and providing the limitation on the suspension.