Want To BUY Excursion

I'm shopping for a diesel Excursion. I'm gonna look at one on Saturday. I know they don't make the excursion any more but I need a Suv for the family, and diesel because I want to buy a Toy hauler. I drive a 94 suburban at the moment and its towing capacity sucks! :down:

A lot of people say that a diesel engines don't start to break in until 100k miles. That is how many miles this one has. He is asking $23k. The reason why I really like it because it's hooked up: lift, 38" muds, sounds, chip, air lockers, air bags, trailer brakes, DVD, TVs, PS2, motorized nerfs, K&N, 5" exhaust system, and more.

What do you guys think? Need some opinions. Is 100K miles too much?

Anyone own an Excursion, F250 with the 7.3L diesel engine, how do you like it?

Exc5.jpg

Exc4.jpg

Exc3.jpg

Exc2.jpg

Exc1.jpg

problem would be 100k miles and has big tires and shit prolly been pulling boats it whole life.. dont look like a bad excursion but price seems lil high too me... i bet its had the pis ran out of it.. prolly be a good truck but i wouldnt pay that much for it myself...

Find out when or if the transmission has been rebuilt. Also find out if the front and rear end has been geared lower to compinsate for the big tires. Buying that thing with the big tires and not having the gears to get you where you need to be, you wont be far ahead of your suburban when towing. 7.3 is a good engine but its not a rocket by any means. Ive had two and had good luck with both.

Dave

Find out when or if the transmission has been rebuilt. Also find out if the front and rear end has been geared lower to compinsate for the big tires. Buying that thing with the big tires and not having the gears to get you where you need to be, you wont be far ahead of your suburban when towing. 7.3 is a good engine but its not a rocket by any means. Ive had two and had good luck with both.

Dave

He did tell me that the gearing was done on it to sompenstate for the larger tires.

How can I find out if the tranny was rebuilt or when other than him telling me? If the tranny was rebuilt is that a good thing or not?

My 94 Suburban only has 6K lbs. tow capacity :down:

i've got a v10 excursion here. i've pulled as much as any diesel and it's nice and quiet. now, i'd take a diesel if i could afford one. i just took my 7" lift and 35's off mine. i want my wife to haul around the baby in it...it is a tank! and, the ride was starting to wear on me. that reminds me, drive the truck and listen for any noise/vibration from the driveshafts...i could feel my rear driveshaft vibrate on decel. an excursion is pretty short to get crazy on the lift the pinion angle can get bad real quick!

yea, i'd check on the gears too....if he's been pulling that boat with 37's and stock gears it's not the easiest on the trans. for that tire size i'd think 4.88's would be good. i'd also be curious to know if he had some kind of programmer in it. i may be gunshy if it did/does....all that power is just too much fun to not dip into it all the time!

other than that, it looks like a nice rig with lots of nice toys...it'll look real nice with a 30' toy box on the back too!!!!

matt

He did tell me that the gearing was done on it to sompenstate for the larger tires.

How can I find out if the tranny was rebuilt or when other than him telling me? If the tranny was rebuilt is that a good thing or not?

My 94 Suburban only has 6K lbs. tow capacity :down:

I don't think that 23K is a bad price... Remember, he is in SoCal. Prices on everyhthing is a lot higher than the rest of the US.

I have a 2003 7.3L F250 on 35's. Love the motor... I have 83K on mine and it's still pulling like a new truck. I'm pulling a 35' slick side 5th wheel toy hauler with mine. I'm not doing 80 up any grades, but the fuel milage is not bad, and it gets me where I'm going. I'd say get it!

My tranny is still factory, and it's been towing stuff from day one.

i've got a v10 excursion here. i've pulled as much as any diesel and it's nice and quiet.

I'm not sure if I believe that... The quiet part I do for sure! Diesels are made to tow... Plain and simple. I have a buddy that tows with a V10 and loves it, but he says all the time... "It's no diesel!"

You have to remember... Towing or not, the fuel milage is going to be a HELL of a lot better on the diesel.

Is there a visual way to check the gearing other than opening up the diff. I remember someone a while back telling that if you turn the wheel on revolution, watch the drive shaft to see how many turns which will equal the gear ration.

Is this true?

Yea you can do that. but it is hard to tell that way. Try telling the difference between 4.10, 4.30, 4.56, 4.88.

For example 4.56. 1 turn of the tire = 4.56 turns of the drive shaft. Going to be hard to tell the difference between those ratios. The best way is to count the ring teeth then count the pinion teeth. Divied the # of ring teeth by the # of pinion teeth. = your axle ratio.

I don't think that 23K is a bad price... Remember, he is in SoCal. Prices on everyhthing is a lot higher than the rest of the US.

I have a 2003 7.3L F250 on 35's. Love the motor... I have 83K on mine and it's still pulling like a new truck. I'm pulling a 35' slick side 5th wheel toy hauler with mine. I'm not doing 80 up any grades, but the fuel milage is not bad, and it gets me where I'm going. I'd say get it!

My tranny is still factory, and it's been towing stuff from day one.

yeah i guess things do go lil higher in cali.. i would just go to kbb.com with all the info and see what it says and judge the price there... looks clean thou... and i too know there hard to find in a deisel..

that reminds me, drive the truck and listen for any noise/vibration from the driveshafts...i could feel my rear driveshaft vibrate on decel. an excursion is pretty short to get crazy on the lift the pinion angle can get bad real quick!

matt

Off topic here some, but how can you say "an excursion is pretty short to get crazy on the lift the pinion angle can get bad real quick!" Is that not one of the longest 4WD vehicles out?? I have a shortbed chevy on 40's and have no vibration problems. You have to get the pinion angle right for what you do regardless of wheelbase. If you lift it, and want it right, you have to adjust the pinion angle no matter what vehicle your talking about.

Edited by dave95.1

I'm not sure if I believe that... The quiet part I do for sure! Diesels are made to tow... Plain and simple. I have a buddy that tows with a V10 and loves it, but he says all the time... "It's no diesel!"

You have to remember... Towing or not, the fuel milage is going to be a HELL of a lot better on the diesel.

Not to mention that there is a 50 to 60 cent diff from regular unleaded, can't beat that.

i mean compared to the four door f250/350 long bed trucks. my X had a 6 1/2" lift, i could feel a vibration in the driveshaft, granted it was at 75+mph but it was there. this was after i put in block to correct for the pinion angle. now, the same lift on my brothers longer f350 had a very very slight vibration until he dropped the carrier bearing down about 2.5". ultimately i was meaning that there's not a lot of things to adjust on an excursion to correct for the pinion angle except for blocks or shims in the springs...you still have a pretty steep angle at the output shaft on the trans so maybe that's what i felt in mine.

it sounds like you have your chevy set up right....never had a chevy myself, i was only trying to speak from what i know.

-edit- it's a long 4wd SUV but i'm 99% sure it's still on the 3/4 ton regular cab longbed frame which (to me) isn't too long in the truck world.

Off topic here some, but how can you say "an excursion is pretty short to get crazy on the lift the pinion angle can get bad real quick!" Is that not one of the longest 4WD vehicles out?? I have a shortbed chevy on 40's and have no vibration problems. You have to get the pinion angle right for what you do regardless of wheelbase. If you lift it, and want it right, you have to adjust the pinion angle no matter what vehicle your talking about.
Edited by Matt96shee