Pro-Tec ATV Gas Cap Web Site

Ok i will do that. I usually have plenty of acetone on hand. I use that for cleaning my pipes. Wet a rag down and do that for the final wipe down. Best way to get finger print free shiny chrome, because you dont even have any oil left on your fingers to leave prints. :biggrin:

Word. I learned awhile ago about the corrosive effect of finger prints. Sometime during the first year that I worked at TRD, one of my QC guys made it a point of making sure that everyone who handled finished, ferrous parts wore gloves. Apparently some asshole (me) fondled a couple of the front engine cover (made a dense form of stainless steel to conform to class weight rules (we were to light) and for car balance issues) our IRL engine and left a bunch of rusty finger prints on them which had to be polished out before the parts went to the build shop. After those shenanigans went down, most of my shop guys always brought up the Edward Rust Fingers incident every time I handled a part for several years afterwards. In reality it was all a stupid mistake on my part that came from being a green, young guy. :ohmy:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of those things where your friends wont ever let you forget. :biggrin:

There are guys that don't even know me personally at other racing organizations that call me that. I seem to also remember it being brought up in an Autosport Magazine article. :shoothead:

I just seen the acetone thing, i get plenty of Acetone i want at work since i work in a Petroleum Chemical Lab. Isopropyl Alcohol is a really good to use for cleaning also little bit safer it don't strip paint off like Acetone will.

I just seen the acetone thing, i get plenty of Acetone i want at work since i work in a Petroleum Chemical Lab. Isopropyl Alcohol is a really good to use for cleaning also little bit safer it don't strip paint off like Acetone will.

There isn't any paint on the cap, but there would be some rickj approaching a random, unidentified plastic with acetone, but since I already did it in this case (maybe you can trust me), I say go for the acetone. Great point about the isopropyl alcohol though! That is much safer to use in most cases and can be just as effective of a solvent in most cases.

Moving off topic a bit................what kind of chemical plant do you work in? :geek:

Probably is i was looking at those clear ones off one site that wanted almost a hundred bucks for em'. I can't see paying that much for a gas cap. But i would for the one on that link.....

I agree with you..................., but some of us have problems. It really doesn't make much sense to spen $100 on a gas cap. Those caps can be had for $80 shipped from a guy on eBayv (still probably doesn't make sense). :thumbsup:

There isn't any paint on the cap, but there would be some rickj approaching a random, unidentified plastic with acetone, but since I already did it in this case (maybe you can trust me), I say go for the acetone. Great point about the isopropyl alcohol though! That is much safer to use in most cases and can be just as effective of a solvent in most cases.

Moving off topic a bit................what kind of chemical plant do you work in? :geek:

I used to be an Inspector and would have to go to every plant in my area Exxon, Valero, Total, Fina, Motiva, Etc.... But i got a promotion and moved into the lab for my company so now i test all the chemicals that the plants make in my area. It's awesome i love my job plus i make good money and it's a big time career move. something i can do the rest of my life and won't have to worry about not having a job.

I used to be an Inspector and would have to go to every plant in my area Exxon, Valero, Total, Fina, Motiva, Etc.... But i got a promotion and moved into the lab for my company so now i test all the chemicals that the plants make in my area. It's awesome i love my job plus i make good money and it's a big time career move. something i can do the rest of my life and won't have to worry about not having a job.

That sounds cool. What sort of chemicals do you test? How do you test them? :geek:

Well I got my gas cap today. I see what you mean. That rubber O ring only really holds the clear window in. The groove needs to be up a little more so the o ring holds the window in tighter. I just used a little black gasket maker to seal it up. Just put a little on the lip on the top of the window and put it back together. Hopfully that should take care of it.

Man we test everything from Jet Fuel, Gasoline, 6 Oil, Condensate, Benzene, Cumene, Conosol, Coker Gas, Lube Oil, MTBE, etc. i mean there's hundreds of chemicals out there and we pretty much run test on all of them. There are ASTM Standard books on how the methods of each test should be ran and i think there's 9 books all 800 pages long so i'll be here for months telling you what we do...lol But it's a cool job all the left over jet fuel i bring home and use to start fires.