anyone used big bore sleaves..

twinrock

Just get a decent port job. Several builder told me you lose the radius on the transfer ports and hurts power potential, even with just a 68mm sleeve in stock jugs. I you want a big bore get aftermarket cylinders.

ditto..

Just get a decent port job. Several builder told me you lose the radius on the transfer ports and hurts power potential, even with just a 68mm sleeve in stock jugs. I you want a big bore get aftermarket cylinders.

i had the 68mm big bore and had it ported and it pulls hard instantly

for the cost and performance a set of cubs would out work a bb set of stock cylinders... for cost only get the stockers ported and you will be happy with the results.. the bb i wouldnt go to unless you ruin a sleeve..

for the technical side, when you put a bb sleeve into a stock cylinder the transfer ports are made smaller and cannot be cut enough to even get it back to stock size unless you plan on welding on the cylinders.. then you can get some room back but still not as much.. the rest of the ports would stay pretty much the same..

a bb sleeved motor will run well but not as well as a stock sleeved motor if both tuned properly given that the port specs are equal..

what i would do if you are wanting to do something that will use 400-500 skins would be to get a 4mm crank instead of bb sleeves and then have the stock head cut and rechambered with the port job.. that would end up costing about the same as putting in big bore sleeves into the stock jugs, and will net you more power in the end..

for the technical side, when you put a bb sleeve into a stock cylinder the transfer ports are made smaller and cannot be cut enough to even get it back to stock size unless you plan on welding on the cylinders.. then you can get some room back but still not as much.. the rest of the ports would stay pretty much the same..

I dont get where people say that Big Bore Sleeves make the transfer ports smaller. I am looking at my cylinders that I just got back from Patriot Racing. They were resleeved for 66mm to 68mm final bore. When I am looking in to the transfers from the bottom There is still aluminum on the out side of the Big Bore Sleeve. So how does the transfer port get smaller when there is still aluminum?

unless they changed how to put more steel in the sleeve then, the sleeve is a bigger diameter than the stock sleeve, the extra space area being taken up has to go into the transfer port area as well making the transfers smaller.. there are a few different types of sleeves out there so someone may have wised up and started making the sleeves thinner at that may mean you get less bores out of that big bore sleeve..

for the cost and performance a set of cubs would out work a bb set of stock cylinders... for cost only get the stockers ported and you will be happy with the results.. the bb i wouldnt go to unless you ruin a sleeve..

a bb sleeved motor will run well but not as well as a stock sleeved motor if both tuned properly given that the port specs are equal..

what i would do if you are wanting to do something that will use 400-500 skins would be to get a 4mm crank instead of bb sleeves and then have the stock head cut and rechambered with the port job.. that would end up costing about the same as putting in big bore sleeves into the stock jugs, and will net you more power in the end..

i agree. i went the big bore route on my stock jugs before i went to the 421 cub. it ran well, but i wish i would have went 4mm crank route to begin with.

unless they changed how to put more steel in the sleeve then, the sleeve is a bigger diameter than the stock sleeve, the extra space area being taken up has to go into the transfer port area as well making the transfers smaller.. there are a few different types of sleeves out there so someone may have wised up and started making the sleeves thinner at that may mean you get less bores out of that big bore sleeve..

My sleeves start at 66mm and end at 68mm. When you look at the transfers from the bottom there is still some aluminum on the outside of the sleeve. I dont know. I just figued resleeving costs the same for stock 64mm as 66mm so why not. :thumbsup: