Whats the difference between the 450 arms and a set of aftermarket arms?

cat

What I was referencing there was that it is possible to do the work and have it look like a factory install, not trick them into thinking it was a factory part, which obviously it is. That was meant as a response to dawarrior's reference to it being a hack job.

I realize this and Im calling it a hack job too. Call a pot a pot. Youre putting some parts off another bike that do not belong there, it is by definition a hack. So yours looks good, you only trimmed some metal, how could it not? I have 450 shocks on my shee and the second I broke out the die grinder to make them fit it became a hack job. In the end its still bad factory metal, with the same bad geometry the frame has always had, just with a little better control.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did I ever mention your name? Did I even try to imply that I was talking about you? NO

I didn't say ALL teenagers, I was talking about the ones that come on here asking what a powerband is. The ones that don't necessarily even reply to a thread like this, but think its a good idea and go try it. The kind of people that won't think to put the dust caps on the arms, or forget the bushings. Theres plenty of ways to screw this up. Notice I said "Sure if you do it right, and know what you're doing, it will most likely be fine."

Sorry, I didnt mean to be a dick. I can see where you're coming from. there are a lot of retards in this world. some of which own a banshee :shoothead: . scary thought hey. by the way I dont mean anyone in particular. :whistling:

the kind of people that buy a set of pipes and then take them to the dealer to get them installed. then think they need titanium gears :yelrotflmao: because they cant learn to shift properly with a clutch and not drop out of powerband so instead just hold it wide open and bang through the gears without touching the clutch :ohmy: the same kind of person that thinks the spider gears in a truck differential will weld themselves together if you do burnouts. these are things people have actually said to me, and you're right that these people shouldnt attemp a mod like this. ill go one step further and say that SOME of these people shouldnt even own a banshee. :shoothead:

Unless you have said one of thoe things to me, disregard that last remark. I dont mean anyone on the BHQ.

dawarriorman,

it seems like you always have something negative to say esp. when it has to do with people on this forum trying to build a better front end for the banshee. Last time you it was about bumpsteer in another thread, now its about the yfz 450 a arm swap. Not to mention the knocking of alot of hq members saying they dont have the know how to work on bikes because of there age.

get over it. you seem to know alot about banshees but sometimes you go over the top. your not the end say all about the a arm swap out. let that be known. this is a new concept so lets check it out and see what happens.

I give props to mullet man for his great write up on this subject. Also give props to many of the hqers who dared to try it and test it out. 2003limitedbanshee is also moveing forward for the development of this subject and i hope he continues. i hope your insults dont stop him from keeping the ball moveing in the advancement of the swap out.

and one more thing some of these younger hq members who you dont think have the know how to work on bikes are the same people that will continue to keep advancing this outdated bike to todays standards.

I haven't knocked a single member that Im aware of. I was speaking in generalizations, not speaking about anyone in particular. And I was only mentioning age because GENERALLY SPEAKING the people that come on here and don't know anything are young kids. I wasn't speaking about only kids, I was talking about anyone (of any age) that comes on here and doesn't know what a powerband is. You (and a couple others) seemed to latch on to the age statement and ignore the rest of what I said. IF YOU KNOW WHAT A TORQUE WRENCH IS, THEN I WASN'T TALKING ABOUT YOU.

Look at the thread title "Whats the difference between the 450 arms and a set of aftermarket arms?"

The feeling I got from reading this thread was that 450 arms are as good as aftermarket, and cheaper (which would make them a better choice). I don't think anybody actually said that, but thats the message that seems to come across.

Im not trying to stop anybody from doing this, I just don't want people to be convinced that they are better off doing this instead of saving their money. If you could save up enough money in a couple of months to buy aftermarket arms and shocks, and you ride in anything other than sand dunes (and before anybody jumps off the handle, im not implying anything about you duners other than you ride in smooth terrain) then do it. I promise that you will appreciate the difference, and you will be happier down the road.

Sorry, I didnt mean to be a dick. I can see where you're coming from. there are a lot of retards in this world. some of which own a banshee :shoothead: . scary thought hey. by the way I dont mean anyone in particular. :whistling:

the kind of people that buy a set of pipes and then take them to the dealer to get them installed. then think they need titanium gears :yelrotflmao: because they cant learn to shift properly with a clutch and not drop out of powerband so instead just hold it wide open and bang through the gears without touching the clutch :ohmy: the same kind of person that thinks the spider gears in a truck differential will weld themselves together if you do burnouts. these are things people have actually said to me, and you're right that these people shouldnt attemp a mod like this. ill go one step further and say that SOME of these people shouldnt even own a banshee. :shoothead:

Unless you have said one of thoe things to me, disregard that last remark. I dont mean anyone on the BHQ.

No problem :thumbsup:

Just think of me as that warning label that we all ignore. Im there to stop the short bus people from killing themselves (now that I think about it, maybe that wouldn't be such a bad thing after all :shrug: )

I haven't knocked a single member that Im aware of. I was speaking in generalizations, not speaking about anyone in particular. And I was only mentioning age because GENERALLY SPEAKING the people that come on here and don't know anything are young kids. I wasn't speaking about only kids, I was talking about anyone (of any age) that comes on here and doesn't know what a powerband is. You (and a couple others) seemed to latch on to the age statement and ignore the rest of what I said. IF YOU KNOW WHAT A TORQUE WRENCH IS, THEN I WASN'T TALKING ABOUT YOU.

Look at the thread title "Whats the difference between the 450 arms and a set of aftermarket arms?"

The feeling I got from reading this thread was that 450 arms are as good as aftermarket, and cheaper (which would make them a better choice). I don't think anybody actually said that, but thats the message that seems to come across.

Im not trying to stop anybody from doing this, I just don't want people to be convinced that they are better off doing this instead of saving their money. If you could save up enough money in a couple of months to buy aftermarket arms and shocks, and you ride in anything other than sand dunes (and before anybody jumps off the handle, im not implying anything about you duners other than you ride in smooth terrain) then do it. I promise that you will appreciate the difference, and you will be happier down the road.

See now I can respect that opinion. You are right, I never said that this conversion provided exactly the same results at 1/3 the cost. I most certainly said that it was a significant improvement over stock, at a reasonable price. Also, you commented on what I pointed out about my riding from the very start. I only ride dunes, so I don't need a set of MX arms, and triple rate springs as I'm not airing my bike out. Like I've said several times, it comes down to evaluating how YOU will use the bike. I guarantee that done right (ie. safely etc.) this conversion will outperform many riders skill level. This of course assumes that they take the time to dial it in so that it works for them. You are also right that most people don't take the time to understand any of the details. I would bet that 50% of riders never mess with preload, compression, rebound or revalving; whether they opt for an aftermarket kit or a conversion. For those people, it may be best to buy a package where you can tell the manufacturer how, where etc. you ride the bike and have them ballpark it for you. Will it be spot on, probably not, but will it be better than buying a set of YFZ shocks that some other guy may or may not have adjusted and never adjusting them, probably yes. All I am really aksing for here is that people recognize that this is a viable upgrade and an improvement over the stock banshee suspension, that when done properly should not be any less reliable or more hazardous than the factory front end. Let the people decide which option better fits their build and if it's a strictly aftermarket kit, I can respect that. :beer: