Whats the difference between the 450 arms and a set of aftermarket arms?

cat

if they give increased travel, are two inches wider, and make the wheels sit an inch further forward, whats the big difference? to me the 450 arms should be a no brainer for those who arent mechanically retarded and are low on cash...am i missing something?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i looked into doing this myself and from what i was told by precision concepts they dont fit right and you end up with more hastles and problems down the line..if you really want a good set of extended arms with a good set of shocks look at alba. they are offring a set of +2+ 1 with elka shocks for under $1000 here is a link to the site...

http://store.albaaction.com/shop/AL210-110-AV-KIT.html

i looked into doing this myself and from what i was told by precision concepts they dont fit right and you end up with more hastles and problems down the line..if you really want a good set of extended arms with a good set of shocks look at alba. they are offring a set of +2+ 1 with elka shocks for under $1000 here is a link to the site...

http://store.albaaction.com/shop/AL210-110-AV-KIT.html

that entire reply is funny :biggrin:

1 you recommend Alba

2 who is precision concepts?

3 "looked into doing it yourself", as in without any help or guidance, or refering to the 21 page topic in this forum on that very subject?

and 4, you are comparing "good pricing" of $1,000 vs. something that will cost you right around $300-$350 when said and done.

btw, what hastles and problems down the line are they (Precision Concepts) knowledgeable of?

I have to agree with Mullet Man here. I haven't heard or experienced and hassles yet with my 450 front end. Of course, I was trying to sell you a $1000 front suspension setup, your 450 front end would rank right up there with Model T suspension anyway. That rec kit from Alba includes Elka's Rec shocks, which don't get me wrong are good shocks, but if you want Adj. compression and rebound like the stock 450 shocks have, that Alba kit jumps to about $1600. Also, Alba's newer kits are not +2+1, they are just +2, FYI. The other argument I made to myself was whether or not I really needed a $1600 suspension setup. I'm just a duner, fairly aggressive, but I'm not airing my quad 40 ft in the air, and my bet is that many aren't either. So, I'm not saying their isn't a time or place for that setup, but I bet most people would say they didn't need it if they honestly asked themselves.

As far as fit is concerned, I know mine fit just fine and a few others I've talked with that have also converted their bikes fit just fine. But like I say if I were selling you a suspension setup, the 450 stuff is junk, unless I was selling you 450 stuff.

so 450 arms and shocks will bolt up with no other mods needed other than maybe brake lines??

also i've seen many bent yfz a arms from hitting rocks and trees and such :biggrin: seems like stock banshees a arms are stronger if you are the kind of rider that crashes into things or rides agressively in the woods, but i guess thats not what they're made for. lol

also i've done a couple mx races with my banshee and the stock suspension is ok if the track is groomed nicely and if you dont plan on doing any of the big gaps or racing competitively. i never attempted any gap jumps with the quad for fear of breaking it or myself, because if you screw up one big jump :ohmy: ..... im sure many people on here know exactly what im talkin about.

so 450 arms and shocks will bolt up with no other mods needed other than maybe brake lines??

also i've seen many bent yfz a arms from hitting rocks and trees and such :biggrin: seems like stock banshees a arms are stronger if you are the kind of rider that crashes into things or rides agressively in the woods, but i guess thats not what they're made for. lol

Not really. You cannot bolt up unmodified YFZ450 a-arms to a stock banshee frame. There is a very extensive, to say the least, thread on this page about the entire conversion. Actually, the stock brake lines will reach, at least with Banshee spindles (reference that thread), with YFZ450 spindles it is still to be determined. All in all it is a very good conversion for the budget minded. As far as hitting trees and rocks, I wouldn't bet money on either A-arm for that.

if u said u did a MX race with a stock banshee suspension and it was fine, then u got issues... hop on a 450 in stock form, not even set for your weight or anything, right out of the factory, and its worlds ahead of the stock banshee suspension, no conmparison, the front end on the banshee is absolutley hjorrible, all it does is nose dive and wana tip

if u said u did a MX race with a stock banshee suspension and it was fine, then u got issues... hop on a 450 in stock form, not even set for your weight or anything, right out of the factory, and its worlds ahead of the stock banshee suspension, no conmparison, the front end on the banshee is absolutley hjorrible, all it does is nose dive and wana tip

I've rode 450s and i agree that the stock suspension on them is light years ahead of banshee suspension.a banshee is a tank on the track. I also said that I wasnt riding that hard or really going for the win. I was wearing jeans and a wifebeater so i really shouldnt have been "racing" anyway :shrug: I also said if the track is groomed well and as long as you DON'T plan on doing ANY of the big jumps. If you want to feel really good suspension on the track, ride a dirtbike that the suspensions been revalved for your weight.

oh and thanks 2003limitedbanshee, i'll check that out :beer:

Edited by shee rips

that entire reply is funny :biggrin:

1 you recommend Alba

2 who is precision concepts?

3 "looked into doing it yourself", as in without any help or guidance, or refering to the 21 page topic in this forum on that very subject?

and 4, you are comparing "good pricing" of $1,000 vs. something that will cost you right around $300-$350 when said and done.

btw, what hastles and problems down the line are they (Precision Concepts) knowledgeable of?

I'd have to disagree with you there.

Elkas > stock YFZ shocks, if you want adjustable then get adjustable elkas instead (or some other shock).

The shocks will likely be better setup, and dialed in for the bike (banshee shocks on banshee arms) unless you valving them yourself of course.

1) Nothing wrong with Albas arms they are Chromoly! There are other arms out there that are excelent as well, Not some cheap ass, stock heavy Mild steel YFZ arms

2) Percision Conceptz valves shocks for alot of pro riders, they used to re-valve pro's elkas until Elka Starting forcing sponsored riders to use their valving. They are a great company and know their shit.

3)$1000 gets you Chromoly and Somewhat Adjustable Arms, Brake Lines, And Elka Shocks. Vs stock heavy mild steel with crappy stock brake lines, and alot of extra work.

Hassles and problems down the line, likely means when you need to rebuild/recharge your shocks. I don't know if YFZ shocks are easily rebuildable or not but if they use the save kinds of seals as the stock rear shock on the banshee all that needs to be replaced and will cost more money.

Do it right the first time IMO.

Now if I had some old YFZ arms laying around, that would be another story.

You get what you pay for...

Edited by Justintoxicated

Hassles and problems down the line, likely means when you need to rebuild/recharge your shocks. I don't know if YFZ shocks are easily rebuildable or not but if they use the save kinds of seals as the stock rear shock on the banshee all that needs to be replaced and will cost more money.

They are easy to service Justin. I have one of mine sitting here on the left side of my desk. It already had the coil off, but the only other tools I needed to get to the valving was a screwdriver to let the nitrogen out of the reservoir and a pick to remove the circlip. Very simple to service.