Spacer plate or Domes

Swaie

So what is the deal. Is the space plate or the stroker domes better? It would seem to me that they are both the same. Do people tend to have problems with the spacer plate? People say the cut domes are better, but why? If your cylinders are ported for the stock stroke, I would think that you could use them if you used the spacer plate. Is that true? I just don't understand the difference. It seems like they both do the same thing. I am also running stock carbs I will replace them later. How much more fuel does the stroker kit need? Will I damage any thing if I use the stockers?

Like Dajogejr said. No spacer plate is one less place for and air leak to happen.

Your cylinders are ported for the stock crank now right? All the port timings are optimal. The ports all opean at the right time, makes for a smooth running engine. Throw that spacer plate in there and you have now just raised all the port highs. All the ports now opean sooner. It is like on any 4 stroke engine. Put the cam shaft in the engine a tooth off. Yea it will run. You might not notice it, but is it going to be the best thing for power?

IF your cylinders are already ported and your going to do the stroker and not get different cylinders, the cut head is the only way to go. Other wise you just advance the ports 2mm (thickness of the spacer plate) to much.

my motor has a plate and cut domes.. guess it'll be a leaking sob.. but runs fine for now.. a plate is no diff then a gasket.. every motor no matter what is done to it has a gasket or a plate between the cases and the cyls .. so not sure why this would be another place for something to leak.. but i would agree if your porting is not designed for a plate there is no need for you to run one..

Edited by bansheefreak

There is 2 seals that are made. It could leak betweent the cylinders and the plate or the cases and the plate. If you didnt have a plate then it would just be between the cases and the cylinder.

Why do you run a plate and have the head cut for the stroker crank?

either way you have case then gasket then cyls.. on a plate you have case then plate the cyls.. its all the same... the plate is just thicker... mine is not cut for the recess mine cut for the sqiush/compression my is set up for.. and that 10mil is freaking huge..lol j/k

he has a plate, and domes cut to squish and compression that is desired for his motor.

with a good amt of gray permatex a plate will seal just a good or better than a gasket. imo.

So since my cylinders are ported already for the stock stroke, I don't have to run the plate? I can just run the stroker domes in my coolhead, correct? But I could get even more power with stroker ported cylinders? I'm going to have to keep my stock cylinders for a little while so I will get the cut domes and not run the plate with my stock stroke ported cylinders. Is that the best way to go? Either way I will have to keep the stock cylinders and stock carbs(for now). Will this still be a good power increase over stock, without the stroker cylinders and stock carbs? Or will it be running like poo. :down:

Edited by Swaie

if you already have the porting you want.. just get domes cut to allow for the stroker crank and you should be done.. no need to get another set of cyls for a spacerplate. it will run the same unless you get more porting done.. so just get domes cut for a stroker and run the porting you have be done with it...

you will need to have your porting changed to met the 4mm stroker.

so find a builder adn put a plate under it or domes. they will have to adjust stuff to make it run correctly.

See that is the question I have been torn against. Somebody says the porting won't work and some say just get the domes for now. My problem is that there are no real bashee builders here in Southeast Missouri that I know of. Seems like everybody knows a good ole boy that has a very fast banshee, but a stock banshee is fast to what most of these farmers ride.

Most builders say to get new cylinders. By the time they opean the ports up for the stock stroke crank and go back and opean them up ferther the ports are to big. I am sure some builder could make due it just inst the Ideal thing. Your best bet for doing the stroker and keeping your cylinderes is getting the head cut or buying 4mm stroker domes. Dont run a plate.