*RANT* Car Shopping

Ok, so usually I try not to bitch to much about my personal life on here, but this one really pissed me off. Both my mom, and significant other think I'm just fuckin' crazy, so I figured someone here mght sympathize with me.

Ok, first off, I have been looking into buying a new truck for a while. I have a 01 4Runner that is my daily driver and it has 85K miles on it, but what's worse is it loks more like a 91. I have been thinking about replacing it with a new Toyota for a while. I'm a cheap abstard though, so I don't want to buy a brand new 4Runner(35k) or even a 4x4 Tacoma(26K). I want a Tacoma Pre-Runner I4 with a 5 speed(18k), which for those who don't know is a 2 wheel drive light pickup, with a high suspension and locking rear differential. http://autos.yahoo.com/toyota_truck_tacoma...2o3OU4OXVRaer8F It's all I need for around town, and a locking rear diff will go anywhere a 4x4 with open diffs will. Plus, Toyotas last forever.

So here's my problem, of course it being New Jersey, all of the lots only carry the top of the line trucks, everything has leather, and automatic tranny, heated seats, all that shit. NOT what I'm looking for, but I pretty much expected that. So I checked out 3 lots. All of the salesmen I talked to had no fuckin' clue about anything. Not a single one has ever heard of a prerunner, or even knew that a Tacoma was availible as a 2wd. So, fine, it's an odd choice, but still, you would think you would be familiar with the products your selling.

So anyway, I asked to order one. Retail on them is 18k, invoice is 16k, so even if I got stuck for full boat, I wouldn't really care. NOPE, I get the generic answer, "By the time I order one it would be cheaper to buy the fully loaded Tacoma on the lot". Yeah fuckin' right! I know it isnt 10k extra to order one! Now, I have cash in hand, don't want to make payments, and I was ready as hell to buy today. You wouldn't think it would ever be so hard to have a car salesman take your money. I was sooo clear about what I wanted, and I've had buddies order cars in the past that weren't on the lot, you don't get as good of a discount, but they still sell a car. I even got the answer "it might take a couple of months". Still, not a problem! I could wait like 3-4 months, my 4Runner is still fine yet, and 3-4 month wait isnt bad if I'm going to keep the truck for the next 10 years.

Basically, after 4 hours today, 3 car lots, 4 sales people, and 3 sales managers, nobody really knew what the fuck I was talking about, and nobody wanted to sell it to me. I couldn't even believe this shit. My gf and my mom, both accept this as the way things are. I think those cocksuckers should be bending over backwards to sell somebody a car at full boat, for cash. Bullshit, lazy motherfuckers, don't even know their own product line. And I don't expect them to know all the gear ratios of the truck, but at least know what the fuck a prerunner is! And what kind of engies it comes with.

When I bought my 4Runner, it was an older guy that helped me, and he knew everything about the truck, displacement, how many speeds, how the 4wd worked, etc. Was nice as could be, and I bought itfrom him without quibbling too much on the price. That was 5 years ago though, and I couldn't find anyone who knew shit this time around.

Anybody have a similar experience? Anybody just think I'm fuckin' nuts? I guess in a way, it is only an 18k truck, that they arent making a hell of a lot on, but still, word of mouth business always helps, and I do have buddies that have more dough to spend then me, and I would have definately reccomended a place that helped me out. I don't know....

I work at a Chevy dealership and I know what you are talking about. If the car is not something that is very common the salesmen dont know shit about them. If they arent going to make any money on a sale they dont even want to help you. That bullshit about costing the same as one of the higher end vehicles just because you order it is a way to scare you off. They should be able to "locate" one for you and have it transported to their lot for around $500. Dont give up, you will find one. If they dont want to help you, ask for the new car manager or the general manager and tell them your situation. It will be handled from there.

You could try building your own at http://www.toyota.com . When my bro Ordered his 2006 Mustang GT he did it on fords web page. Then dealers contacted him if they had the car that he wanted.

It's all I need for around town, and a locking rear diff will go anywhere a 4x4 with open diffs will.

Off road they do ok but they drive like crap on Ice and snow. Since both tires spin the back end gets squirly. You about need 4 wheel dirve if you have a locker in the rear end. It helps keep the back from being so squirly. My 2001 Mustang GT Bullitt drive like crap in the wenter time. It does have wider tires and more hp under the hood than what your toyota, wich componds the problem even more.

Ok, so usually I try not to bitch to much about my personal life on here, but this one really pissed me off. Both my mom, and significant other think I'm just fuckin' crazy, so I figured someone here mght sympathize with me.

Ok, first off, I have been looking into buying a new truck for a while. I have a 01 4Runner that is my daily driver and it has 85K miles on it, but what's worse is it loks more like a 91. I have been thinking about replacing it with a new Toyota for a while. I'm a cheap abstard though, so I don't want to buy a brand new 4Runner(35k) or even a 4x4 Tacoma(26K). I want a Tacoma Pre-Runner I4 with a 5 speed(18k), which for those who don't know is a 2 wheel drive light pickup, with a high suspension and locking rear differential. http://autos.yahoo.com/toyota_truck_tacoma...2o3OU4OXVRaer8F It's all I need for around town, and a locking rear diff will go anywhere a 4x4 with open diffs will. Plus, Toyotas last forever.

So here's my problem, of course it being New Jersey, all of the lots only carry the top of the line trucks, everything has leather, and automatic tranny, heated seats, all that shit. NOT what I'm looking for, but I pretty much expected that. So I checked out 3 lots. All of the salesmen I talked to had no fuckin' clue about anything. Not a single one has ever heard of a prerunner, or even knew that a Tacoma was availible as a 2wd. So, fine, it's an odd choice, but still, you would think you would be familiar with the products your selling.

So anyway, I asked to order one. Retail on them is 18k, invoice is 16k, so even if I got stuck for full boat, I wouldn't really care. NOPE, I get the generic answer, "By the time I order one it would be cheaper to buy the fully loaded Tacoma on the lot". Yeah fuckin' right! I know it isnt 10k extra to order one! Now, I have cash in hand, don't want to make payments, and I was ready as hell to buy today. You wouldn't think it would ever be so hard to have a car salesman take your money. I was sooo clear about what I wanted, and I've had buddies order cars in the past that weren't on the lot, you don't get as good of a discount, but they still sell a car. I even got the answer "it might take a couple of months". Still, not a problem! I could wait like 3-4 months, my 4Runner is still fine yet, and 3-4 month wait isnt bad if I'm going to keep the truck for the next 10 years.

Basically, after 4 hours today, 3 car lots, 4 sales people, and 3 sales managers, nobody really knew what the fuck I was talking about, and nobody wanted to sell it to me. I couldn't even believe this shit. My gf and my mom, both accept this as the way things are. I think those cocksuckers should be bending over backwards to sell somebody a car at full boat, for cash. Bullshit, lazy motherfuckers, don't even know their own product line. And I don't expect them to know all the gear ratios of the truck, but at least know what the fuck a prerunner is! And what kind of engies it comes with.

When I bought my 4Runner, it was an older guy that helped me, and he knew everything about the truck, displacement, how many speeds, how the 4wd worked, etc. Was nice as could be, and I bought itfrom him without quibbling too much on the price. That was 5 years ago though, and I couldn't find anyone who knew shit this time around.

Anybody have a similar experience? Anybody just think I'm fuckin' nuts? I guess in a way, it is only an 18k truck, that they arent making a hell of a lot on, but still, word of mouth business always helps, and I do have buddies that have more dough to spend then me, and I would have definately reccomended a place that helped me out. I don't know....

It sounds like the people working at the car lots are the same people that work at the Oregon DMV. :shoothead:

Wow, glad it's not just me that thinks this is f'ed up. I'm stil kinda pissed, thi whole thing kind of left a bad taste in my mouth, when I get back at it again, I think I'm just gonna bring the cash there, and tell them, look, this is what I want, here's the money, order it for me. Just makes me pissed, that no one really gives a fuck.

About the pre-runners out west, that's what I heard, they are easy as hell to find in Florida, Arizona, places like that. I had a 98 prerunner that I bought in 99 as a left over(stupid me traded it for the 4runner in 02), and there were a few on the lot then as I remember.

I didn't realize how long this post was either, I was kinda pissed, still am as a matter of fact.