Broken bolt now with extractor snapped in it

One of my engine mount bolts completely snapped off. It was the one that connects to the frame so I drilled it out slowly, then put an extractor bit in it and apparently the extractor bit was shit and snapped off inside the bolt now. Is there anyway to drill this out again? None of the bits I have will cut through the extractor and keep going. I dont know where to go from here, I have never had this type of problem before extracting a broken bolt.

Oh and the bolt isnt sticking out at all

One of my engine mount bolts completely snapped off. It was the one that connects to the frame so I drilled it out slowly, then put an extractor bit in it and apparently the extractor bit was shit and snapped off inside the bolt now. Is there anyway to drill this out again? None of the bits I have will cut through the extractor and keep going. I dont know where to go from here, I have never had this type of problem before extracting a broken bolt.

Oh and the bolt isnt sticking out at all

Do you have access to a welder? If not how about at least a propane torch?

You can get a good hard center punch and chip away at the extractor. The best bet is to tig weld a nut onto the broken extractor and unscrew it. Put a little heat on the outside of the boss and use WD-40 or bee's wax after you take the heat off. It should come out. If you can not get it or don't think you can, find a machine shop in your area and they will get it out. EDM is the best way, but that is not a home fix it yourself deal.

get a colbalt bit. they are cheaper and easier to find. i done the same thing, and the colbalt bit cut right thru it.

word :thumbsup:

use a batterry drill with a clutch at a slow speed. clutch drill will stop toque from breakin bits. try using cutting oil too.

If you can get a carbide drill bit (hard to find) , that will work.

Another trick is to get a carbide tipped concrete bit (easy to find) and sharpen it on a grinder.

1, a carbide drill will be very expensive too.

2, dont touch your grinder with any carbide surface. it will eat your wheel faster than it will take an edge.

1, a carbide drill will be very expensive too.

2, dont touch your grinder with any carbide surface. it will eat your wheel faster than it will take an edge.

I offered my advice because I have done it before and it works well.

A carbide tipped concrete bit costs less than $5 and can easily be shapened on a standard grinding wheel in under a minute without doing damage to the wheel.

get a colbalt bit. they are cheaper and easier to find. i done the same thing, and the colbalt bit cut right thru it.

went through 2 of them so far and they broke, would not grab for shit. I used a carbide bit I have for my dremel and so far I am picking away at the extractor slowly. Its taking a while but seems to be cutting away at it better than anything else. Couldnt find a carbide tipped concrete bit yet though

Carbide is very hard. The only thing that is going to cut through carbide is a carbide drill bit. If you used a colbalt drill bit then your extractor wasnt made of carbide.

A carbide tipped concrete bit costs less than $5 and can easily be shapened on a standard grinding wheel in under a minute without doing damage to the wheel.

Ya, my bad, Im looking at too many things. Im a machinist; and the pure carbides we use will eat any wheel, other than diamond. I dont think the concrete bits use that high of quality probably. So that probably is feasible, or you have some sweet ass wheels.

Its funny cause we were sharpening tools today and the grinder ate up every M-42 or HSS tool we had, no questions asked. But we saved the single carbide center as the last job. It ate a 4inch wheel to ~3.5inches before it put a 60* point on the tool. haha

What about them carbide bits used with dremels?

If you've tried these other tips & the broken extracter & bolt are still in, a dremel hand grinder with a carbide grinding tip can be used to grind away all of it. Why don't you try this?