Check out this Head Temp Gauge!

jayzx10r

here are a couple of links to what i've been using for over three years. i mainly use it to make sure that the engine is warmed up before i start ripping on it. even though it's small i can read it fine while riding, i don't try to read it when i'm ripping a$$ though. when i'm riding i just glance down and look at the need position not the numbers, if the needle is sticking directly to the right then it's at 180 degrees, if the needle is below that position then i know that it's getting hot. basically it's a stick thermometer that is soldered in a hole at an angle in a piece of copper tubing that is painted black. you cut your main coolant return line near the top of the radiator then you hose clamp the gauge in between the two pieces of hose, pretty simple.

http://www.warpdriveperformance.com/index.htm

http://www.warpdriveperformance.com/bansheeside_large.htm

I got one of those ESR ones on my raptor. They are a great product. The only problem with the banshee is that the radiator hose that you need to put it in is the one that goes to the center of the head to the top of the radiator. Makes it impossible to read while riding. If you put it in the one that goes to the water pump then your reading the coolant temperature after it has been cooled through the radiator. Not really an accurate way to tell what operating temperature the engine is running at.

I like the heatseekers that sre visable thriugh the holes in the tank plastics, super clean, as is that setup of jbooker82's.....very nicely done, I'm tryin to figure out where to put mine without hackin holes into the plastics...& that gives me a few more ideas!

You wouldnt need the trail tech bar clamp like it got. I would think you could mount it like mine with just a regular clamp. You just take the mounting bracket that they come with and flatten it out. Notch the corners off so it will clear the bolts in the front of the bar clamp. Put it inbetween the upper and lower bar clamp and pintch it down.