Pilot Jet Jetting

jayzx10r

My pilot circuit is running kinda rich so I'm thinking of swithing out my 52 for a 48 or 45. Is this a typical change for these carbs with my setup?

I have experience with Mikuni's but the jet numbers for the Keihins seem to be a different calibration (I think) so I'd appreciate yor opinions. Is the change from 52 to 45 or 48 a HUGE jump?

It runs well at night even though it's still on the rich side, but in the daytime it doesn't want to make the transition from mid-range to top end...kind of like hitting a wall and having to break through...

I started with a 165 main and it was horrible...couldn't even climb Olds. Dropped the needle to position 2 and was at least able to force it to get on the pipe occasionally...barely!! I went to a 155 main and the middle position (#3) for the needle but am gonna try a 152.

So I'm thinking 152 main, leave the needle in the center position, and go with the 45 or 48 pilot.

I had Toomey's on my RZ350 and at idle the best way to describe the sound would be to say it "cracked" with every cylinder firing. I don't know if it's the Fatty's, but the note is not what I'd call "sharp" like the sound of my YZ (has a Fatty too)...kind'o dull. Like comparing an exhaust sound of TTa-TTa-TTa to da-da-da...use your imagination.. :sorcerer: Like I said, it just may be the pipes...

What'cha think?? Is the pilot change too drastic??

Thanks, Jay from SanD.

Jetting for 300ft altitude and 90 degree weather...sand use only.

Edited by jayzx750

42 to 48 pilot is the norm....should be ok with that.

I ran a 48 in my 35PWKs in my 4 mil cub, was still a hair rich....but safe!

Thanks for the replies....

Was the change from 52 to 48 a pretty big change to your jetting? As it is now, there is a definite difference in the way my motor performs at noon versus 10:00PM. At noon, it kinda "4-strokes" until I force it into the powerband...at night it rips.

I'm thinking that there is probably a LOT more power there than I'm realizing now!! :biggrin:

Thanks, Jay from SanD.

42 to 48 is normal in 33, 35 and 39 mm pwk carbs. ive never run anything smaller than a 42 or bigger than a 48 on a stock stroke, 4mm or 10mm motor..

also, my main jet ranges have always run from 158 to 162 all year round in all these motors..

I just put some 48s in it and it sounds WAAAYYY better just revving it up in my garage!!

My mistake on the original pilot numbers....they were 55s, not 52s. :geek:

Gonna try it out on Friday at Glamis!!

Thanks for the help guys....

Jay From SanD.

Edited by jayzx750