preload adjustment on works!

endofitall9

Got a set of work double rate valved for 185-95 rider (i'ma buck 70) anyway the problem is that the preload on one shock is set lower then the other My banshe is leanin like a gangsta....lol anywho I read the threads about this but really couldn't get anything from them.......

the preload on one shock is the 3rd groove down from the top on the second shock its the second...I know compress the spring but how do i get the ring that hold the spring up top to move down? will it just fall or what....thanks alot!

Josh

Got a set of work double rate valved for 185-95 rider (i'ma buck 70) anyway the problem is that the preload on one shock is set lower then the other My banshe is leanin like a gangsta....lol anywho I read the threads about this but really couldn't get anything from them.......

the preload on one shock is the 3rd groove down from the top on the second shock its the second...I know compress the spring but how do i get the ring that hold the spring up top to move down? will it just fall or what....thanks alot!

Josh

Can you post a picture of you shocks or a picture of shocks that are like yours? I am not sure which type of preload adjuster you have. I think works has used a couple different kinds over the years. :thumbsup:

Just to make sure that you and others learn while enjoying their time on the HQ, iwould like to make sure that you understand what the preload adjustment is used for. You correct in assuming that the preload on both front shocks should be near the same. With that said, the preload effects ride height and weight balance. It really doesn't have much to do with how heavy you are. One might adjust the preload to set the ride height of your bike, which is pretty self explanatory. One might also adjust the preload if you were trying to make sure the weight of the bike is distributes evenly across all of it's axles. For example, if you had scales (chassis corner weight scales or in most ATV enthusiast's case, bathroom scales) under each tire, you would add or subtract to one or both of the front shocks so that all the scales read close to the same weight. In some cases a front to rear 50/50 weight split is not desired, then you would be looking to balance the front wheels equal to each other on the scales and then adjust the front to rear weight bias with the preload adjustment on the rear shock.

There is a pretty good chance what I just wrote does not make sense, so let me know what parts you don't understand and we can work from there. :thumbsup:

totally understandable firehead........in no way am i doing this for a weight issue..just wanted to put out there what I have..this is strictly a ride height issue the preload strictly is not set the way i would like to to be so i though i would adj. a bit and since Kevin (proaction guy) is in Cancun i thought I would just do it myself..........pictures up soon

Well, apparently there is a third type of preload adjustment that Works has used. I haven't seen the one you have before. The picture clarity doesn't help matter much. Is the shock body threaded in a way that the top collar on the shock moves on the threads? I don't see any place to get a spanner wrench on the collar, nor do I see any of the notches that would be there if it was the other kind of adjustment method I have seen on Works shocks. Not to be a pain, but could you get a clearer picture of the shock collar and maybe one of the entire shock? :thumbsup:

Yeah sorry about the pics I've been taking them all day and cannot get the camera to give me one worth using........BOOOOO..... anyway no there are no threads... the only thing there is...is like little grooves and that top spring stop.. under this top washer though there are spacers ...I don't know I guess I'll have to wait on kevin I rode it today for the first time and I'm inlove with them ...its a totally different bike ...think I'm going to have rezzies put on them though..............

Josh

Yeah sorry about the pics I've been taking them all day and cannot get the camera to give me one worth using........BOOOOO..... anyway no there are no threads... the only thing there is...is like little grooves and that top spring stop.. under this top washer though there are spacers ...I don't know I guess I'll have to wait on kevin I rode it today for the first time and I'm inlove with them ...its a totally different bike ...think I'm going to have rezzies put on them though..............

Josh

The banshee i just got last week looks like it has the same shocks as yours. Wheres the best place to get the external rezy's? Is there a way I can measure what a-arms came on it? Kid said +1,+1 but not sure. My springs look like hell too.

Josh

If I were to guess at how the adjusting mechanism on your shocks work, is that there is a split ring that goes in the grooves on the shock body. Thus when the collar vocer the ring it locks it in place. This tpe of deal would be similair in concept to how the brake side of an aftermarket rear axle is retained.

To make the adjustment you need to compress the spring. Then once you've done that you should be able to slide the collar down the shock body to expose the spring clip. Finally move the spring clip to the groove you want it to be in, slide the collar back over it, and release the spring.

Let me know if you think that is how your preload adjustment works and/or if the method I described actually works. :confused:

evolve...you can send you shock to works and have them upgraded pretty much anything you want done to them can be done.........

Firehead I don't know never thought about it like that I'll check it out though havn't really messed with it here lately been really pissed of at the bike............

Firehead I don't know never thought about it like that I'll check it out though havn't really messed with it here lately been really pissed of at the bike............

Let me know if what I said previously works. If it doesn't I will see if I can grow another idea for you. :thumbsup: