got a question

Hey guys I noticed some anti-freeze the other day when i was riding. I started it up today and let it get to about 160 because thats what the temp was when i noticed it the other day. It got there and nothing happenned so, I let it get to about 180 and still nothing. so I started shaking the shit out of it lifting the front up and letting it slam down like it would if I was riding it. There it was. It is comming out of a black hose the is probably 3/4 OD or mabye smaller and it is running down by the frame dwn to about a lil lower than wear the lights sit. It come from what looks to be the radiator it looks like some sort of over flow tube or something> I dunno? Do you think that it could have been filled to full or something just dont wanna run outta antifreeze and not know it.

Oh and I kept bouncing it a few more times but it quite comming out, but i dunno if i was bouncing it as hard as I wouod have been riding it. What do you guys think?

Edited by trueraiderfan

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey guys I noticed some anti-freeze the other day when i was riding. I started it up today and let it get to about 160 because thats what the temp was when i noticed it the other day. It got there and nothing happenned so, I let it get to about 180 and still nothing. so I started shaking the shit out of it lifting the front up and letting it slam down like it would if I was riding it. There it was. It is comming out of a black hose the is probably 3/4 OD or mabye smaller and it is running down by the frame dwn to about a lil lower than wear the lights sit. It come from what looks to be the radiator it looks like some sort of over flow tube or something> I dunno? Do you think that it could have been filled to full or something just dont wanna run outta antifreeze and not know it.

Oh and I kept bouncing it a few more times but it quite comming out, but i dunno if i was bouncing it as hard as I wouod have been riding it. What do you guys think?

If it is the hose that is about .25" i.d. then it is the vent / overflow line. If it's leaking just a little bit it's probably because the hose is cracked or something. If it's leaking alot, then you have another problem. :thumbsup:

Do you have your stock coolant overflow tank?

I'd bet the radiator was overfull, my guess.

The stock design traps coolant and air since the hose passes under your tank to your seat...some people relocate them to the font of the bike.

I don't run one. There's a big to do discussion about if that's a recirculation tank or not.

I say it's not. Others say it is. My point is I never had one on any of my CR dirt bikes....so...how can it recirculate?

Anyways, keep an eye on it at the radiator, and check your plugs....probably just a cracked hose would be my guess too....

Do you have your stock coolant overflow tank?

I'd bet the radiator was overfull, my guess.

The stock design traps coolant and air since the hose passes under your tank to your seat...some people relocate them to the font of the bike.

I don't run one. There's a big to do discussion about if that's a recirculation tank or not.

I say it's not. Others say it is. My point is I never had one on any of my CR dirt bikes....so...how can it recirculate?

Anyways, keep an eye on it at the radiator, and check your plugs....probably just a cracked hose would be my guess too....

Its good to here that someone doesnt run the overflow tank either. I just got most of my parts in this week now Im just waiting on my air filters I ordered yesterday. When I bought my roller chassis there wasnt a overflow tank on it and I was like damn I have to order another part. My question to you Dajogejr is how much coolant do you usually put in without putting in to much and making a mess?

To be honest...capacity wise I'm not sure.

I fill the radiator to the top, then I squeeze the lower hose going from the water pump to the bottom of the radiator to "burb" any air bubbles. Fill it to the top again.

And ride. Then...check it again.

However, for the pavement drag strip, you're required to run 100% water, and have a catch can. So...for that I'll just fasten up a pop bottle, etc., just like everyone else.

If you dont have an overflow tank it inevitable that it will be seen coming out sometimes. If it cools off and the top tank of the radiator doesn't have any you can see in it, then you may want to look into a cool head or add a overflow bottle.

However, for the pavement drag strip, you're required to run 100% water, and have a catch can. So...for that I'll just fasten up a pop bottle, etc., just like everyone else.

I am one of the guys that runs the recovery tank on the front of the bike.

I think the rule at a formal drag strip is not that you have to rune pure water, but that you can't run anything with ethylene glycol in it. Correct me if I am wrong. :geek:

To be honest, very good question.

I just run straight water because I know your day to day antifreeze coolant is a no no. I also ran straight water all year in my cub, regardless....but I did drain some and added antifreeze once the temps dipped end of last year...

thanks for all the replys guys. I got to talking with my builder and he said to check and see if the hose was running from the reserve and it is. So long story short I over filled the reserve tank evidently so I guess I got that taken care of.

To be honest, very good question.

I just run straight water because I know your day to day antifreeze coolant is a no no. I also ran straight water all year in my cub, regardless....but I did drain some and added antifreeze once the temps dipped end of last year...

Obviously, each track and race sanctioning body have their own sets of rules. From my experience the coolant rules always seem to similair. The two common coolant related rules usually are to disallow the use of ethylene glycol and to enforce the use of a recovery tank. I cannot speak intelligently about the reason for not allowing ethylene glycol based coolant, but I would guess that it's environmental as ehtylene glycol is the chemical in coolant that kills your pets if they drink it. The spirit of the rule for requiring a coolant catch can is fairly straight forward in that water on the track with rubber worn into it = slippery as ice. Furthermore, you should be able to run something like Redline's Water Wetter in you cooling system, or one of the organic coolants as they do not contain ethylene glycol. On all of our pavement based race series we run a coolant that is proprietary to us. Somebody told me that our company in Japan developed it, but that could all be bs. All I know is it comes in relatively unmarked drums from Japan, and it looks and smell funny. :ermm:

Obviously, each track and race sanctioning body have their own sets of rules. From my experience the coolant rules always seem to similair. The two common coolant related rules usually are to disallow the use of ethylene glycol and to enforce the use of a recovery tank. I cannot speak intelligently about the reason for not allowing ethylene glycol based coolant, but I would guess that it's environmental as ehtylene glycol is the chemical in coolant that kills your pets if they drink it. The spirit of the rule for requiring a coolant catch can is fairly straight forward in that water on the track with rubber worn into it = slippery as ice. Furthermore, you should be able to run something like Redline's Water Wetter in you cooling system, or one of the organic coolants as they do not contain ethylene glycol. On all of our pavement based race series we run a coolant that is proprietary to us. Somebody told me that our company in Japan developed it, but that could all be bs. All I know is it comes in relatively unmarked drums from Japan, and it looks and smell funny. :ermm:

Yep yep....was thinking the same thing, you just have more than enough time on your hands to type all that...LOL.

I think it's based on the "ice slick" and less cleanup time as well in case someone goes pop down the strip....

Never had an overheating problem with straight water...and that was on race fuel. With alky, the bikes only gonna run cooler, so...I'll be sticking with water!!