Locked up cub motor. Don't know why.

J-Madd

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's exactly what I'm going to do. Anyone know the quickest place to get new nikasil on these cylinders, assuming they're scarred beyond honing (I'll know tonight; too disgusted yesterday to work on it.)

How many people have ran these things out of gas? I read a thread last week where a guy ran his brand new

Cub out of gas also, but he just lost compression. I guess it's easy to underestimate how fast these monsters pull gas out of the carbs, versus how fast gravity can feed it in.

That was me.

I will have the Cylinders off and apart this weekend.

I lost all compression in mine. I have a pingel as well, running 39mm carbs. I never thought it would run out of fuel, but im almost certain that it did. I ran the bike flat drags for an entire weekend and it ran great. The folowing weekend it was hill racing and it would cut off in 5th gear pinned up olds in glamis.

My only hope is that it is not to bad.

Sound similar, but werent you on flat ground?

That was me.

I will have the Cylinders off and apart this weekend.

I lost all compression in mine. I have a pingel as well, running 39mm carbs. I never thought it would run out of fuel, but im almost certain that it did. I ran the bike flat drags for an entire weekend and it ran great. The folowing weekend it was hill racing and it would cut off in 5th gear pinned up olds in glamis.

My only hope is that it is not to bad.

Sound similar, but werent you on flat ground?

Yeah, on flat ground, but I'd been flying down a long gravel. I guess each time I pinned the throttle it sucked a little more gas than it let back in while I was off the gas. After a mile or so, it eventually drained the right carb, I guess. A contributing factor is likely the billet gas cap. It flows air fine, but I don't know if it flows fast enough for this motor. I took the cylinders off and it just looks like melted aluminum that can be taken off, but no one around here is familiar with nikasil, so I'm just shipping them back to Jeff today. In the future, I'll never ride that far at or near WOT again. I'll probably get the billett bowls, even if I'll never need them again.

Thanks all. I hope this thread helps others keep this from happening. Live and learn and open up the wallett!! :banghead:

This is precisely why I'm running a fuel pump on my alky 10 mil I'm building...

Minimal work, carbs from snomobiles can be found all day long....and a fuel pump is 47 bucks.

If it melted the right side, I'd say it ran out of fuel too, sine it takes a hair longer to get fuel to that carb.

there is an acid you can wash the piston out of the cylinder. did it scratch the walls at all?

Yeah, that's what Jeff said. I didn't think the cylinder was damaged at all, just aluminum smeared on the inside, but the local machine shop guy said it looked like the nikasil plating was damaged, so I just boxed 'em up, waiting for UPS to pickup as we speak. If they can just be washed out and honed, maybe Jeff can do that and not send them off to the nikasil plating people.