Question pertaining to Cool Head domes.

Trick2stroke

Most people that do engine coatings use there products. The products that they sell for professional applications are solvent base. The ones that they sell for retail use are water based. Wether they work or not who knows.

WSX is just a powder. When I did my raptor i had the cam laying in the journal on the head and i spun it. I then rubbed the powder on the cam and in the berring journals on the head. Spun it again and it spun way eaiser and longer. When I get ready to tear in to my banshee again I will take pictures of the coated parts for an update. See how it held up.

josh

I guess what I am trying to get at is that if these type of coating were to be applied as these products suggest and performed reasonably, then you would think that the people who do coating work like this would apply it the same way, it would be less expensive, and more people would do it. It really seems like something you would see on a late night infomercial on the Speed channel.

You'll have to let us know how they hold up and if you notice and performance differences. I am guessing that the coatings will come off pretty quickly and/or not do much, but as always....................there is a good chance that I am wrong. :thumbsup:

I wasnt really looking for huge performance gain. More of a protection against burning holes in pistons, and excessive heat build up. If something didnt happen that was the goal.

That company you listed only charges 25 a piston and that is to coat the head, skirt and under side with different coatings. That isnt to bad. I would almost have somebody do it. It is a real pain in the butt to do it. Media Blasting, Putting on the coating, Baking it. Then if you put it on to thick staring over and doing all over again. Pluse those 3 products that bought were 100 bucks for all three. Pluse if you need to buy a cheap sand blaster, and air brush. On my next build I think I will just have some body do it.

Most people that do engine coatings use there products. The products that they sell for professional applications are solvent base. The ones that they sell for retail use are water based. Wether they work or not who knows.

WSX is just a powder. When I did my raptor i had the cam laying in the journal on the head and i spun it. I then rubbed the powder on the cam and in the berring journals on the head. Spun it again and it spun way eaiser and longer. When I get ready to tear in to my banshee again I will take pictures of the coated parts for an update. See how it held up.

josh

The WSX coating is a dry moly coating that is suspended in water I assume. There are alot of different application techniques for that style of coating and I probably shouldn't have said anything about that one inparticular. However, none of the techniques that I am familiar with involve the coating being suspended in water. :confused:

You are right about the solvent base for some coatings that are out there, but there are several other dry application method as well.

Are the cam bearings on your Raptor roller bearings or hydrodynamic wedge style bearings?

The WSX coating is a dry moly coating that is suspended in water I assume. There are alot of different application techniques for that style of coating and I probably shouldn't have said anything about that one inparticular. However, none of the techniques that I am familiar with involve the coating being suspended in water. :confused:

You are right about the solvent base for some coatings that are out there, but there are several other dry application method as well.

Are the cam bearings on your Raptor roller bearings or hydrodynamic wedge style bearings?

The wsx is in a powder form. It is dry. The cam bearings in my raptor i think would be the hydrodynamic style. The cam just rests in the journals. (No roller bearings at all) There is no bearing halfs just a machine fit.

I am getting am buying parts to build my 400 stroker. Maybe I will take the old pistons and put a little propane bottle toarch on the piston head to simulate buring in the combustion chamber. Leave it on ther for say a minute or two. Check the temp from the underer side. Then do the same with an old uncoated piston. See if the coating helps or not.

josh

The wsx is in a powder form. It is dry. The cam bearings in my raptor i think would be the hydrodynamic style. The cam just rests in the journals. (No roller bearings at all) There is no bearing halfs just a machine fit.

I am getting am buying parts to build my 400 stroker. Maybe I will take the old pistons and put a little propane bottle toarch on the piston head to simulate buring in the combustion chamber. Leave it on ther for say a minute or two. Check the temp from the underer side. Then do the same with an old uncoated piston. See if the coating helps or not.

josh

The reason I asked about the bearing style was because if it was a hydrodynamic wedge style bearing, it doesn't make a bit of difference what the surface treatment of the cam or head is. The only time the parts ever touch is when the engine is not running a briefly at startup. :thumbsup: