long travel rear suspension

socal_450rider

You ordered it and didnt tell me? Now you HAVE to CMM it.

I didn't order it, but I did look into it. I have a pretty good idea of what Elka did when they designed this product. I suspect tha they moved the pivot point where the shock attaches ot the linkage down and back. This effectively increases the motion ratio of the suspension. The only real problems I see with this is that it may lower your ride height and make your linkage hang down quite a bit farther below your swingarm. Besides that, I am pretty sure that you will always need a longer and differently valved shock. The shock valving is the thing that I don't really know that much about. I understand the concept, but doubt that I could figure out what the shock needed to perform properly without alot of trial and error.

If you wanter to a linkage, I would be happy to model and make prints for a couple things that I think might work. The other thing we would have to come up with is a shock that will work for the application, preferably off of another ATV. If we can find a shock that mounts to the frame without an modification and is a couple inches longer, then I can work to accomodate it into the linkage. Do you know how long any of the newer 450 shocks are? :thumbsup:

It was my understanding that the banshee had a relatively short rear shock in comparison to most all bikes, even the blaster.

I'll go measure my stocker and compare it to this 250R shock I have, I'm thinking it will be too long though. Maybe a 450R shock.

It was my understanding that the banshee had a relatively short rear shock in comparison to most all bikes, even the blaster.

I'll go measure my stocker and compare it to this 250R shock I have, I'm thinking it will be too long though. Maybe a 450R shock.

Length and virtual swing arm lenght would be the factors in picking a shock from another bike. Of course it would also be nice if the top of the shock bolted right up to the Banshee frame without any modification. :thumbsup:

Length and virtual swing arm lenght would be the factors in picking a shock from another bike. Of course it would also be nice if the top of the shock bolted right up to the Banshee frame without any modification. :thumbsup:

Ya, that would be nice. The new shocks are going to that fork type lower mounts, so just maybe the 450 shock if what youre lookin for. However, the resi mounts the right side, so clearance may be an issue.

In solidwork im doing OK at this point and extrusion thing. So when I model my new spindle should I put it together as an assembly? Or try to do it all in one piece? I dont really know the limits of the prog, so IM not real sure.

Ya, that would be nice. The new shocks are going to that fork type lower mounts, so just maybe the 450 shock if what youre lookin for. However, the resi mounts the right side, so clearance may be an issue.

In solidwork im doing OK at this point and extrusion thing. So when I model my new spindle should I put it together as an assembly? Or try to do it all in one piece? I dont really know the limits of the prog, so IM not real sure.

I saw that most of the new shocks were going to the fork type lower mount. I am sure we could make that work but the resevoir location may be a problem like you said. I ahven't looked into it that much. I will have to cruise the internet a bit and see what's out there.

As for the modeling technique goes, there are several ways to skin the proverbial cat. It all boils down to your design intent. In your case you would be looking to make an upright. Therefore, you would want to model all the parts that you would need to manufacture seperately and then assemble them. If you were then going to take this one step further and send the parts out to be made, then it would be very easy to make seperate prints based on your seperate parts, then you would also be able to cook a BOM and assembly instructions very easily based off of your assembly. :thumbsup:

In regards to the spindle itself, you should be looking to revolve that part, not extrude it. That may it's based off of one sketch and not three or more like would be needed if you extruded it.

Edited by FireHead

He also has a protrax frame.

Ahha. There are ton of options available if you are willing to relocate your frame side shock mount. If I were that interested in doing something like that then I would buy an aftermarket frame. I'd rather enhance what I have now as it is a little more unique that way. :thumbsup:

im sure it was implied by now, but were on the same page.

As a warning to others who might not have figured it out yet, it's not always a good idea to be on the same page with me. I will use my stock Banshee carb => 33mm stock Banshee carb project from a few years ago as evidence along with the catastrophic failure of one of our Truck engines in Milwaukie a couple years ago (I mention that because it was brought up in a meeting this morning). :yelrotflmao: :yelrotflmao: :yelrotflmao: