Base gasket thickness

moneybags

Anybody know where I can get some different thickness base gaskets at?

Anybody know what thickness gasket Jim at Passion Racing uses on a 4mill stroker 421 cub set up?

Squish clearince is mesured from the top of the pistion at TDC to the top of the dome. Is that corect?

If not how do I mesure it.

Yes, I am still trying to fix my 421 cub. No the stator that I bought did not work to fix the cub.

As does Jeff @ FAST.

It really doesn't matter what size Jim uses on his, since every motor is different to a point.

He can give you a reference where to start, but...just like jetting...ultimately the end measurement is on you.

Moneybags, how exactly are you checking squish, and what squish measurement are you getting?

Also...I haven't run across your old post in a while, you checked for leaks and compression, right?

You basically use solder, tighten your motor down, slip a piece in the spark plug hole and make sure it is parallel to the piston pin (right to left, NOT front to back) or you'll get a false reading.

Kick the bike (by hand) over and it will "Squish" the solder, remove it...and check that for thickness.

Try it a few times and average the measurement.

If you thread it in and check it front or back, the piston can "rock, or tilt" slightly and will not give you a true reading.

RNBRAD has a thread on here I believe on how to check it....

Also, make sure you are purchasing BIG BORE Base gaskets as well...

I just called jim at passion and now I am waiting on him to call me back.

I have not checked squish measurement yet and still not sure how to. What is a (solder)

I looked for RNBRAD thread on here on how to check it.... but could not find it.

I have checked my top end compreshion and it is good. (175 in both) I have not done a leak down test yet.

My banshee keeps trying to starte but wont. :shoothead: :shoothead:

To be honest, you're wasting time trying any thing else other than checking it for leaks and checking squish.

I went through ALL of this when I bought my 4 mil. You might think it's a direct bolt on, it's not.

My top and bottom of my brand new cylinder were both uneven, and both had to be blocked (flattened)

After that...it purred!

Solder is the stuff you use for wires and electronic parts, with a soldering iron...kinda melt it to tie wires and electronics to circuit boards.

My bike actually started, idled perfectly, etc. If you sprayed carb cleaner around the left base side, it would die out.

Plus....there was a dip in the middle of the cylinder due to the sand blasting finish by Millenium after the cylinders were nikasiled....

Here's your leak down thread...how hard did you search?

http://www.bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?...c=49835&hl=

PM Machwon on here. he sells a relatively inexpensive leak down kit...if you don't have the time and/or resources to make your own...

Yes I found the leak down test from RNBRAD. I could not find the post of how to do a squish test with a pice of solder.

This motor was put together in 3-26-6 by Jim. The engine ran good for the previes owner. It ran good for me when I first got it but now nothing.

It all happend like this.

One day I went out the grauge and It started right up on 2 kick. I let it Idal for maby 3 minets.I killed it trying to pull it back into the grauge and it would not starte after that.

I am ready to put it into a coffin and send it to somebody. :whistling::whistling:

One day I went out the grauge and It started right up on 2 kick. I let it Idal for maby 3 minets.I killed it trying to pull it back into the grauge and it would not starte after that.

you need to go thru your stuff.

a motor needs air, fuel, spark to run.

i read your other thread. your going to have to work on it.

does it have spark?? is it good spark, your carbs cleaned up good??

like other said you need to check for air leaks.

i bet when you figure it out it will be something very simple.

what jetting you running. i would put your timing at 4 deg. sometime you should do what your motor will like not what some suggest cause theirs liked it.

i dont think its your compression and squish causing it to not run.

you need to go thru your stuff.

a motor needs air, fuel, spark to run.

i read your other thread. your going to have to work on it.

does it have spark?? is it good spark, your carbs cleaned up good??

like other said you need to check for air leaks.

i bet when you figure it out it will be something very simple.

what jetting you running. i would put your timing at 4 deg. sometime you should do what your motor will like not what some suggest cause theirs liked it.

i dont think its your compression and squish causing it to not run.

Last I checked...he put it at 0 timing and it still didn't run....

However...just to ease the mind of others, put it at 0 timing AGAIN...

That's not your problem, but just to make others happy.

I don't think there is a thread on here to check squish. But, I agree with Wes, that bike should at least attempt to start. DId you check the pickup gap and make sure the flywheel key didn't shear?