CYL. PORTED?

HELLO TO ALL AND I HAFTA SAY THIS IS A GREAT SITE FIRST POST AND FIRST TIME BANSHEE OWNER HERE WAS WONDERING HOW TO TELL IF MY MOTOR WAS PORTED IVE GOT A 89 J ARM SHEE WITH TOOMY T4'S K&N FILTER STILL HAVE THE FILTER BOX NO LID ON IT ITS GOT HOT ROD CRANK STOCK STROKE THIS IS MY FIRST BANSHEE BUT IVE RODE SEVERAL ALL MY BUDDIES HAVE HAD THEM FOR YEARS AND THE REASON IM ASKING IS MINE SEEMS LIKE IT HAS ALOT MORE POWER THAN ANY IVE RODE ITS HARD TO KEEP THE FRON END ON THE GROUND EVEN WITH A 2 INCH EXTENSION ON THE SWINGARM IM PLANNING ON TEARING IT DOWN SOON TO CHECK THE TOP END OUT I DID COMPRESSION CHECK ON IT AND WAS AROUND 115PSI ON ONE CYL AND 110PSI ON THE OTHER ONE AND WAS WANTING TO KNOW IF I COULD TELL WEATHER IT WAS PORTED AFTER I GET IT TORE APART I DONT KNOW WHO BUILT THE MOTOR BUT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE HOPPED UP PRETTY GOOD AND FROM THE POWER IT HAS I BELIVE IT THANKS FOR YOUR TIME

You can look at the intake ports behind the reed vavles. These are just pictures of the intake ports. Where you get the power from is work done to the exhaust and transfer ports. You jugs could look like they are ported by the intake ports but it could aslo be some body doing there home made clean up port job. Look at the transfer ports in the sides of the cylinders. See if they look like cast aluminum or if somebody has been in there with some porting tools.

Ported

BansheePorting2.jpg

Stock

CIMG3622.jpg

THANKS FOR THE PICS IT SHOULD BE EASY TO TELL WHEN I TAKE IT APART I AM JUST TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT ALL HAS BEEN DONE TO THE MOTOR SINCE I DONT KNOW WHO BUILT IT AND THE COMPRESSION DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO CYL. HAVE ME WORRIED SO IM GONNA TAKE IT APART AND GO THROUGH IT BEFORE RIDING WEATHER HITS THANKS AGAIN

It isnt real easy to tell what kind of port job you will have. Weather it is a woods, mx, dune, drag, or what ever. The differences between different port jobs can be just a few mm's in port hight. (distance from the top of the jug to the top of the port) You would really need a builder to look them over and use a degree wheel to see what kind of port job you had. Other wise just look for grinder marks instad of the rought cast aluminum of the stock cylinders. That will let you know if you have a port job or not.

josh

You can look at the intake ports behind the reed vavles. These are just pictures of the intake ports. Where you get the power from is work done to the exhaust and transfer ports. You jugs could look like they are ported by the intake ports but it could aslo be some body doing there home made clean up port job. Look at the transfer ports in the sides of the cylinders. See if they look like cast aluminum or if somebody has been in there with some porting tools.

Ported

BansheePorting2.jpg

Stock

CIMG3622.jpg

ok i tore mine down tonight and my ports look just like the ones pictured here but i cant tell from the pics right above where they sharpened the center of it is a hole they have opened up pretty good that sorta v shapes down to the sharp edge of the center piece (sorry not very port smart here hope you understand what in saying

Here is another pic. Like i said before look in the ports on the sides of the cylinders. Is there any grinder marks in there? Anybody can do what these pictures look like with a dremel. Where the power is made from is the transfers. I will post som pics of some other cylinders tomarrow. I will get my digital camera out and snap some pics for you.

BansheePorting1.jpg

HELLO TO ALL AND I HAFTA SAY THIS IS A GREAT SITE FIRST POST AND FIRST TIME BANSHEE OWNER HERE WAS WONDERING HOW TO TELL IF MY MOTOR WAS PORTED IVE GOT A 89 J ARM SHEE WITH TOOMY T4'S K&N FILTER STILL HAVE THE FILTER BOX NO LID ON IT ITS GOT HOT ROD CRANK STOCK STROKE THIS IS MY FIRST BANSHEE BUT IVE RODE SEVERAL ALL MY BUDDIES HAVE HAD THEM FOR YEARS AND THE REASON IM ASKING IS MINE SEEMS LIKE IT HAS ALOT MORE POWER THAN ANY IVE RODE ITS HARD TO KEEP THE FRON END ON THE GROUND EVEN WITH A 2 INCH EXTENSION ON THE SWINGARM IM PLANNING ON TEARING IT DOWN SOON TO CHECK THE TOP END OUT I DID COMPRESSION CHECK ON IT AND WAS AROUND 115PSI ON ONE CYL AND 110PSI ON THE OTHER ONE AND WAS WANTING TO KNOW IF I COULD TELL WEATHER IT WAS PORTED AFTER I GET IT TORE APART I DONT KNOW WHO BUILT THE MOTOR BUT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE HOPPED UP PRETTY GOOD AND FROM THE POWER IT HAS I BELIVE IT THANKS FOR YOUR TIME

pull out a reedcage and check to see if the intake is all shiny and the corners going in to the piston area are sharpened off.

Here is another pic. Like i said before look in the ports on the sides of the cylinders. Is there any grinder marks in there? Anybody can do what these pictures look like with a dremel. Where the power is made from is the transfers. I will post som pics of some other cylinders tomarrow. I will get my digital camera out and snap some pics for you.

BansheePorting1.jpg

ok here is what i can see looking at it from the same way your pic is they look just alike now if i turn the cyl. over there is two holes on each side of the sleeve that has also had work done in them and all the little holes inside the cyl. have grinder marks also ill try to find a cam to get some pics of them thanks

its safe to say its not a woods trail port considering it has very little bottom end any idea to what it is from the pics ? since its already 80 over im gonna look into finding some stock heads to go back on it it has the wrong type of power for my type riding and its a handfull in the woods the cyl.s dont look like they have been done very long so im gonna have them check and rering it and put it back together till i can trade or buy some stock cyl.s anyone looking for ported cyl.s :whistling: thanks for the input guys it helps alot to have you guys to ask for help