cluster *&^%

strokin500

I have a 95 banshee that is really giving me a hard time. I rebuilt the carbs and put in new pistons but the problem I am having is the damn thing never starts without the choke and will not stay running. If I try to rev it up it just bogs and backfires unless I pull the chocke then it clears up for a second but will go back to bogging and backfireing. I am at a loss and would really appreciate some help. :banghead:

well first off a properly jetted motor shouldnt start unless the choke is pulled when cold... if you can start it without the choke being pulled you got to big of a pilot jet... in your case even after its started it only wants to run when its pulled even after its warm??? if so your pilot is probly too small what size jets you have in there and what elevation are you at?

Your probably sucking air in somewhere or your jets are really cloged up. Check your carb boots/intakes reeds check the head for any air leaks. Change your gas and plugs make sure your getting spark. Look into those areas and you will find the problem.

The quad is all stock. I replaced all of the jets and needle seats in the carbs along with the boots andall top end gaskets with new ones and I have had the carbs off several times to make sure there is nothing in them and they are clean. It runs normal at start up and for a few seconds then it starts to die and if i give it any throttle it bogs and will stall if i keep on the throttle unless i hit the choke for a sec then it clears up but then it will do the same all over again. what about the float height can someone give me a setting.My elevation is around 950 feet my pilot is 25 and my mains are 190 and the needle is on the 3rd position.Thanks for any help

The quad is all stock. I replaced all of the jets and needle seats in the carbs along with the boots andall top end gaskets with new ones and I have had the carbs off several times to make sure there is nothing in them and they are clean. It runs normal at start up and for a few seconds then it starts to die and if i give it any throttle it bogs and will stall if i keep on the throttle unless i hit the choke for a sec then it clears up but then it will do the same all over again. what about the float height can someone give me a setting.My elevation is around 950 feet my pilot is 25 and my mains are 190 and the needle is on the 3rd position.Thanks for any help

your jetting seems off..

try 27.5 pilots.. and your main should be much higher then 190 at that elev... i was at 1000 or more and i was running 320's so you unpiped should be at least 250 mains... buttry the 27.5 pilot and jump your main way up and go from there... go to pepboys and get your self a box of plugs... BR8ES cost like 18 bucks and start doing plug chops and youl get her going right... just takes some time man...

Totally stock? No pipes or any kind of aftermarket filters?

Pull your plugs, what do they look like? When you try and start it and it sits there and dies, pull them. Do they look wet, really dry, etc? Have you checked to be sure you are getting good, consistant spark? Put your bike in a dark spot and kick it over and have a friend watch your plugs and see if you are getting a good hot spark. Whats your compression at? Even though you just did a rebuild doesn't mean soemthing could be messed up... check your compression. Did you do a leak-down test when you rebuilt it? Tried new gas? Try and go up a step on your pilot and try it and see if that helps or makes it worse...

190 on the main jet seems a little low to me for your elevation, even on a stock bike. My totally stock banshee at 7500ft runs a 190. At that close to sea level I would think you would need something bigger. Try a 27.5 pilot and see what it does...

EDIT: Damnit you beat me to it!

Edited by BigRed350x

mine used to do that. i had 27.5 pilots and 230 mains. mine had a little motor work and i had t-6s on it. i ended up melting my piston and haveing to put a new topend in. when i was in the process i seen the guy that put my top end in before only had 230s and they should have been around 300 to 320 mains. if i was u i would make sure u didn't fuck up ur pistons and put in a bigger main jet. it fixed my bike so i thought i would let u know. it could be something differnt but i bet that is ur main problem running 190s.