What MOD next? Done with bolt ons?

(First post but I've been lurking for a while)

I purchased an almost stock 1996 Banshee for $1400 and decided to tear it down since the previous owner said the top end had never been done. It rode fine during the test run but seemed to be running a little rich on the right side. I wanted a Banshee pretty bad so I jumped on the deal since it was in great physical (cosmetic) condition. I would have checked the compression but I couldn

well with the things you listed your headed in the right direction for sure...the only way to be 100% on if you need to use race gas is to do a compression test once its back together... but you named all the bolt ons that id say to start off with.. maybe some 28mm PWK carbs being the stocker carbs are crap...

well with the things you listed your headed in the right direction for sure...the only way to be 100% on if you need to use race gas is to do a compression test once its back together... but you named all the bolt ons that id say to start off with.. maybe some 28mm PWK carbs being the stocker carbs are crap...

I've got the bike back together now and I've taken it though the break-in. I used the one listed on the Duncan Racing web page. I've dragged it against some other Banshees and it seems to hang with like modded bikes. Bob (the guy that did the port work) hooked me up on specs for running it. It runs fine on pump gas. I want to make sure I keep it that way for now. I though of 20cc domes but that's in the gray area of race/pump gas mix from what I can tell.

How much better would the 28mm PWK carbs work out?

I would try to trade in those FMFs plus mabey a hundred bucks or so for some toomey T5s and get some bigger carbs for more all around power with that agressive dune port. Mabey some 33pwks 35s if you plan on getting a bigger port job. That should do the trick.

i wouldnt go that big on carbs... his motor is stock stroke and bore ... only change was the porting...

If his agressive dune port is as big as Im thinking even with stock bore I dont think the 33s would be too big and if he were to get a bigger port later on they would come in even more handy. I dont think going from 26 to 28 would make as noticable a diffrence as say 28s bored out to 30 or just 33 with ports being open that much and the type or riding he does. Thats just my oppion.

I say 33PWKs.

He says split 50/50 between rec. riding and MX vs. play drag racing.

So..being on the ropes, 33PWKs would probably match up with a dune port, and some T5 or Trinity Stage IV pipes as well...

Hate to say it, but...if that crank isn't welded, it might not be a bad idea to start thinking about that.

Bob @ RB does great work for the price he charges. I rode a motor of his @ Silver Lake...it was fun!!

your not going to gain so much throttle response from going to 28s tha your going to shit your pants... but youll notice a differance for sure..

remember once you get the 4mil your going to have to get it port at the same time to change the port timings ...so plan on doing alot at one time to turn it into a stroker.

as far as the unwelded crank goes its hit or miss... there not really a give away answer that this many do it and this is why... some let go fairly soon and other can go years and then let go....

I've got my eye open for a deal on the 28s now. I just missed a set on eBay for $260 plus shipping. I don't even know if that's a good deal really. As for the stroker, Bob told me the existing port work would be fine but I'd have to upgrade to another style of piston to match the port work. They way I understand it, if I was to go with the 4 mil it would only be case porting, the stroker crank (welded etc) and the new pistons. I've tried to include a photo of the intake side of the port work that Bob did. I don't know much about porting but it sure looks agressive to me and it pulls as hard as my buddies $500 port job. I am hoping that I don't have to re-do the port work again. What do you think?

post-24248-1169191643.jpg

Edited by charles_in_houston

I've got my eye open for a deal on the 28s now. I just missed a set on eBay for $260 plus shipping. I don't even know if that's a good deal really. As for the stroker, Bob told me the existing port work would be fine but I'd have to upgrade to another style of piston to match the port work. They way I understand it, if I was to go with the 4 mil it would only be case porting, the stroker crank (welded etc) and the new pistons. I've tried to include a photo of the intake side of the port work that Bob did. I don't know much about porting but it sure looks agressive to me and it pulls as hard as my buddies $500 port job. I am hoping that I don't have to re-do the port work again. What do you think?

thats sounds about normal for them... call jeff at fast ... he can set you up with a set im sure.. hes mine and many others on here go to guy for parts...

as for the porting... when you go to a 4mil your port timings change so your jugs are going to have to be redone... unless your plan is a spacer plate... you dont need anything done to the case to run a 4mil... once you move to a 7mil or bigger you got to have it trenched...

im no porter so im not going to try and give advice on the pict... maybe someone thats done some porting can chime in...

Edited by Bansh-eman

What do you think about these carbs?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...mMakeTrack=true

Do you guys know who makes them?

i just got those carbs and they are awsome , one of the best mods i did so far , way better than stock carbs .

they come set up for your mods and the guy i called really good to deal with ,

throttle resonse and bottom end power i never had . call them up and talk to them.

there is also a open topic about them , do a search