Shock help

snazman

Hey everyone. I just put yfz 450 a-arms on my bike. Now I need some shocks. I want to buy some aftermarket ones like TCS or Elka or maybe the new fox floats without rezies. When I buy them I order them for a 450 correct? And also what brand do you recommend I have about $900 to spend. I ride in the dunes about 90% of the time and the rest is desert. I don't get to crazy jumping but i do jump in the dunes from time to time and hit the whoops pretty hard. I have heard of people having problems with valving on Elkas otherwise I would just buy them because they look awesome. TCS is pretty close to my house so I could just drive down there if I had any problems, that

Hey Mullet Man. First i would like to thank you for the how to on the yfz 450 a arms it was very helpful when installing the arms. Why do you think i should look into long travel shocks?? Wont they be to long?? Or are the stock 450 shocks to short?? Thanks for your help!!!

Hey Mullet Man. First i would like to thank you for the how to on the yfz 450 a arms it was very helpful when installing the arms. Why do you think i should look into long travel shocks?? Wont they be to long?? Or are the stock 450 shocks to short?? Thanks for your help!!!

i'm content with the YFZ shocks. they provide more ability then what i will ever put my Banshee thru.

another member (DDQ) who MX's his YFZ setup with YFZ shocks is pleased with them also.

but if you are looking for more ride height, you will need a longer shock then the stock YFZ units.

the YFZ a-arms put more leverage on the stock YFZ shocks which means in essence, more travel and a more plush ride. but they dont, in my experience, sacrifice any handling or landing control.

but since the mounting points are different from Banshee too YFZ (wider on a Banshee with YFZ arms) this is what lowers the ride height on the Banshee.

a longer shock (17"-18" in length) should put the bike very close too stock height but with much better feel and control because of wider a-arms and obviously a bit better shock, albeit alot more expensive!

i'm sure someone else can explain it better then i can lol

EDIT; oh and no problem on the writeup, thats why i did it so others could benefit as well :thumbsup: not everyone can afford to buy (or wants to) a suspension package that can cost way over $1000!

Edited by Mullet Man