Coolant system

nicktoney

i was looking through the clymer here at work to pass some time and read the coolant section... now ive read on here you can delete the coolant res because its just an overflow catch can... so why does the clymer say that you should add coolant to the res after you drain the old stuff? it says not to add it to the radiator? whats the deal here?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was looking through the clymer here at work to pass some time and read the coolant section... now ive read on here you can delete the coolant res because its just an overflow catch can... so why does the clymer say that you should add coolant to the res after you drain the old stuff? it says not to add it to the radiator? whats the deal here?

there are probably a couple of reasons it says to add coolant to the overflow rather than the radiator. first, to get to the radiator, you gotta pull the shroud off - so, it's more easily accessible than the radiator. second, if the bike is hot and you jerking the cap off the radiator, it could result in injury from a nice steam burn since the radiator is pressurized and reach temperatures above normal boiling points. there are some other reasons too, but it's really not a big deal whichever way you choose if the bike is cooled off. you'll just spill more on the ground and have some spit out the overflow of the radiator.

I think what your asking is if the bottle has no purpose then why remove it? The bottle serves as an overflow just like an auto. When the coolant gets hot and expands the coolant goes to the overflow. When it cools down it gets sucked back into the radiator.

I think what your asking is if the bottle has no purpose then why remove it? The bottle serves as an overflow just like an auto. When the coolant gets hot and expands the coolant goes to the overflow. When it cools down it gets sucked back into the radiator.

Incorrect....it does not get sucked back into the radiator...

it serves as an over flow only....

This should be the correct answer and the reason you can just add coolant to the overflow. This is why the overflow tube is at the very bottom of the canister. Without the overflow canister you will have to check your radiator more frequently because what is lost is not replaced.

While I'm not causing problems, my bike has Never sucked any coolant/water/engine ice out of the overflow bottle, and I even relocated it to the front of the frame since the factory design traps coolant in the line run under the gas tank.

I didn't have to add coolant all year to my bike, only when I drained the distilled water out of it and mixed 50/50 coolant/water since it gets below freezing here in MI.

So...if it does in fact suck it back from the overflow, it has yet to do that on mine in the two years I've owned it.

Not saying the statement is incorrect, just stating my own experiences.

My CRs never had an over flow, either....:)

:beer:

I don't think mine has either, though mine never looses any coolant as yours probably doesn't either. I remember years ago though when mine would spit it out on the right expansion chamber I was filling the overflow up frequently. But with all my cooling mods I haven't done it in years. But I'm pretty sure it is designed like a cars system as where it will maintain a pretty full level as long as the overflow is maintained.

It most certainly can serve as a recirculating tank, which is distinctly different than an overflow tank. The main problem why most people don't believe they are anything more than an overflow is because of the stock tube routing and the fact that most bikes typically will not recirc without a rerouting of the tubes. Think about it, why would Yamaha design the "overflow" with two tubes (one high on the bottle and the other at the very bottom) if it was simply an overflow. If it were just an overflow, it would only need one. I'm suprised at some that stated boldly it was NOT a recirc. as I respect their opinions. Just a more thorough check of the theory I guess.

I cant see how it is impossible to not suck any back in. As the collant heats up, it expands. That flows some coolant into the tank. Now when it cools, it dosent take any back in? Now the collent has condensed into its ambient temperature state. Then the rad would have to be under slight vaccume, or you have a small leak and air is replacing the overflowed fluid. It HAS to take some back in, i dont see how it can work without it.