Found out why my motor blew...

Not to long ago I posted this topic trying to get advice on what might of happened to my banshee. (previous post) Basically what happened is that we took my banshee, my cousins, and my dads to dougs shop. We basically gave him a blank check, we told him to completely check out each one, fix the problems, port my dads and cousins (mine done my Kenz)(good work), dyno it, and tune the carbs. Well on mine he fixed the clutch, water pump, adv the timing, welded the crank, tuned the carbs, and extented the swingarm. ($1800)

So on my second trip out since the work (thanksgiving 2 days into trip) , it starts blowing coolent, and the motor blows up, leaving the right cylinder destroyed and the left looking absolutly normal. Then about the same time my dads banshee also starts blowing coolent, and my cousins has this irregular knocking noise in the clutch.

When I got home I took my banshee to Kenz instead of D&M to have it checked out. According to him (kenz) my banshee's carbs, which were tuned by doug, were way too lean causing the head gasket to blow. The needle, the air to fuel mixture, bowls and slide were all fucked up. To add to that Kenz said my motor was showing signs of sand damage, which I paid Doug to check and he said it was perfect.So which of course tells me that he didn't take the motor apart. Which to me makes no sense since he could only gain by doing it.

So I paid Kenz $560 to reset, rejet, recheck, and rebuild my motor. You know I don't know for sure if doug (the owner of D&M) worked on my banshee, or one of his workers did. But whoever did fucked my shit up. :banghead:

first off, you got fucked..1800 for that stuff?? so kenz told you that the carbs being lean caused the head gasket to blow?? hmmm, never heard that one before..and how were your carbs so fucked up? if they were sofucked up how did it run at all?? not accusing you, just wondering how it even ran if kenz says they were so fucked up. and then again, you got fucked when you paid kenz 560 to rebuild your motor and jet your carbs.. so far id say that kenz doesnt know what theyre talkin about and are severely overpriced. and d and m is waaaaay overpriced...

Well you were probably jetted way to lean or your waterpump stoped working. Either way you got screwed over on price and service. I would have taken my bike back to D&M and demanded they fix it with the part you supply. Everyone who is in buisness should take care of their mistakes because people in business KNOW good words about their shop/skills go 5 miles in radius and bad words go 50 miles in radius. Plus they should be in it to make their coustmers happy. Though I have heard a mechanic tell me anything with splitting the cases is 1500 dollars I laughed at him and I said you must have people comming to you left and right then. Another thing I would do if I took my bike to someone I dident know is supply a camera and tell them to snap a few pics of the cases being split and some of the new parts they are putting in. That is by no means unreasonable.

Ahhhh, this is why I work on all my shit myself. Once you start getting in with different builders and shops, it's justa mess, everybody seems like their out to make a buck, often at your expense. Too many cooks spoil the soup you know. All of the stuff your talking about you probably could have done yourself with the help of a Clymer. FYI your save a buttload of money turning wrenches yourself.

Ahhhh, this is why I work on all my shit myself. Once you start getting in with different builders and shops, it's justa mess, everybody seems like their out to make a buck, often at your expense. Too many cooks spoil the soup you know. All of the stuff your talking about you probably could have done yourself with the help of a Clymer. FYI your save a buttload of money turning wrenches yourself.

I agree 100%. I do all of my own work even though Buchanan Racing (Best mechanic Ive ever seen) knows me Im building his website and we are childhood riding partners he still told me $$ dollars to install my Noss Head and put in my V3s. but I figured why spend the $$ bucks when I can just do it myself. Its when you mess something up you take it somewhere. But 2 strokes are very easy to work on espically with a Clymers manual and the HQ. But some people just cant or dont want to work on their own stuff and thats why I said get as much info as possible on your build as you can and if they mess it up take it back and demand they do it for next to nothing.

How did he weld the crank without splitting the cases?

He did.. Sorry didn't write that. Anyways I try to do my own work whenever I can. Majority of the time I disassemble the part and give it to the builder. D&m was the only time I took the entire quad to the bulider.