welded crank

yamaha04

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I want to know the same thing. What surfaces do you indicate on? How do you check the phase? Why are boobs good? haha.

But seriously I would like to know the first two things. I'm a machinist with access to a well tooled shop so anything of that nature is a non-issue, I just need to know where to put the indicator stylus.

I want to know the same thing. What surfaces do you indicate on? How do you check the phase? Why are boobs good? haha.

But seriously I would like to know the first two things. I'm a machinist with access to a well tooled shop so anything of that nature is a non-issue, I just need to know where to put the indicator stylus.

1.) No one is keying the pins.

2.) Checking the phase is very simple. In fact you can do it while you are trueing the crank (I know I explained how to do that to you before, Cole). You need a degree wheel ( print one out of the internert and tape/glue it to a piece of ally) which you need to index to a feature on the crankshaft (preferably thew axial center line of a pin). Then it's a simple matter of touching off a pin and rolling the crank over on its mains (snout and flange on a balancing stand or chucked in to a lathe) and subtraction the diameter of one pin. This will then give you the total degrees between pin center.

3.) If you don't know why boobs are good, I can't help you. I cannot think of any case where boobs would not help a situation.

2.) Checking the phase is very simple. In fact you can do it while you are trueing the crank (I know I explained how to do that to you before, Cole). You need a degree wheel ( print one out of the internert and tape/glue it to a piece of ally) which you need to index to a feature on the crankshaft (preferably thew axial center line of a pin). Then it's a simple matter of touching off a pin and rolling the crank over on its mains (snout and flange on a balancing stand or chucked in to a lathe) and subtraction the diameter of one pin. This will then give you the total degrees between pin center.

That is what I needed, thanks Mark. I went and reread over the posts about truing in a lathe, and it's something I can definitely do. I am just getting around to it because splitting my case isn't an everyday occurrence. Now about the degree wheel, I can't touch off on a pin because the rods are on there. Are there any other suitable places?

Edited by gimmeabeer

That is what I needed, thanks Mark. I went and reread over the posts about truing in a lathe, and it's something I can definitely do. I am just getting around to it because splitting my case isn't an everyday occurrence. Now about the degree wheel, I can't touch off on a pin because the rods are on there. Are there any other suitable places?

The surface plate and v-blocks will do the trick as long as the v-blocks are not homemade trurds or have been beat on like Ike beat Tina.

With regard on what you can touch off, it's basically got to be a pin. However if you have some v-style feeler gauges, you could swipe one from the set and solder it to the removable portion of the stylus on the dial indicator. I know its a bit of scince project to make a tool, but if your pins don't have centers drilled in the ends of them, then you don't have much choice.

.................oh yeah, and what do you mean you don't make splitting your cases an everyday occurence? I thought everyone was like BigRed and simply used it as an excuse to drink beer. :biggrin:

Who needs an excuse? ha. Ya, no centers drilled in the pins for me. Shit.

The little measuring tool modification should work fine, but there is some added effort involved in buying a new stylus and feeler gauge, and then of course putting it together. If I get a chance today, I will stare at a picture of a Banshee cranks and see if I can think of another way to do things that would be easier in your situation. :geek: