welded crank

yamaha04

where do they weld the crank when you get it trued and welded. also i was trying not to have to send it away to get this done so i was wondering if i get some pics could i just give them to a machine shop an have them do it.? what do you guys think. probably not suggested eh?

where do they weld the crank when you get it trued and welded. also i was trying not to have to send it away to get this done so i was wondering if i get some pics could i just give them to a machine shop an have them do it.? what do you guys think. probably not suggested eh?

They weld the crank pin on the crank web !

As stated above, the pin that holds your connecting rods is welded to the outer web. It prevents the crank from pulling apart when you start to bump up compression and timing. Its also a safety thing you should do to any crank to prevent it from comming apart anyway.

You will need a TIG welder to do it yourself. A competant machine shop and do it for you no problem.

Here's one I welded up last night at work... Nothing really too fancy. Its going in a stock stroke, stock compression bike that won't ever see anything higher than stock-ish compression so these welds will be plenty for it. On other cranks that will see a lot more compression and timing I use a little more heat to get better penetration.

DSC00084-1.jpg

DSC00083.jpg

you should have the crank checked to make sure its true if you have ran it for any length of time! my buddys crank was out of phase by 14 degrees, in other words the crank had spun on the pin and the rods where not where they where suposed to be!! and also make sure you weld all the pins! inners and outters! I had one come apart and it made a big mess of things!

you should have the crank checked to make sure its true if you have ran it for any length of time! my buddys crank was out of phase by 14 degrees, in other words the crank had spun on the pin and the rods where not where they where suposed to be!! and also make sure you weld all the pins! inners and outters! I had one come apart and it made a big mess of things!

alright thanks guys been lots of help now for trueing the crank could a non banshee machine shop do this work aswell? oh yeah and bigred your welds are sick awsome work dude

Edited by yamaha04

Thanks for the compliments guys. I'm no professional by any means. I know enough to get by and that's about it. :beer: Yes, you should weld the inner AND outer webs if you get it done. This crank was trued before I welded it. There's some other pictures of different welding I've done, especially on the frames, in other parts of the HQ.

Edited by BigRed350x

Thanks for the compliments guys. I'm no professional by any means. I know enough to get by and that's about it. :beer: Yes, you should weld the inner AND outer webs if you get it done. This crank was trued before I welded it. There's some other pictures of different welding I've done, especially on the frames, in other parts of the HQ.

so what happends after you weld your crank then sal a year down the road it needs to be rebuilt how would you go about getting it rebuilt or is it cheaoer to just get a whole new crank

Thats a damn good weld BIGRED. Damn good. Theyalways say it should look like a stck of quarters layered. Like I said. Damn good job buddie. Wish I could weld like that.

a good way to spot a really good weld is looking for splatter... if there is any splatter the welder either isnt very experianced or has the wire feed speed wrong or the power is off..

also the amount of metal on the weld should be slightly raised and even across the weld...

and to check the technique, it should looks like half moons linedup in a row.

anyone can weld... but welding right... now thats an art!

Edited by Bansh-eman

a good way to spot a really good weld is looking for splatter... if there is any splatter the welder either isnt very experianced or has the wire feed speed wrong or the power is off..

also the amount of metal on the weld should be slightly raised and even across the weld...

and to check the technique, it should looks like half moons linedup in a row.

anyone can weld... but welding right... now thats an art!

I'd say its more experience than anything else. The more you do it the better you get at it. I play around with welders almost on a daily basis some weeks. I'm no pro, but I'm pretty happy with what I can do on my own. I know I save myself a lot of money doing my own work most times.