Head Gakset removal

I am installing a new head gasket to get my bike to stop spitting coolant. I already put in a new impellar but it didn't solve it. My question is what is the best way to remove all the left over gasket from the top of the cylinders and the head?

Also is it time for a new top end? Look at these pics:

IMG_2064_2-1.jpg

IMG_2065.jpg

IMG_2066.jpg

Stuff some rags in the cyl walls and use a razor blade to scrape all of that shit off. Then get a scotchbrite pad some sandpaper and sand the rest off. You can use a cleaning solvent too but thats probably not necessary. Your pistons dont look that caked with carbon. Used definatly. time for a fresh topend Ide do a compression test like stated above.

Since you're already this far, it's only going to cost you another set of base gaskets at the very least....so, I'd take the cylinders off, get them and the pistons checked.

If they're within clearance tolerances, hone and rings. If it's in question or close...top end and bore.

Since you mentioned it's pissing coolant, now is the time to get the deck of the cylinder AND the head itself checked for flatness. You can do this pretty easily yourself.

Get a flat piece of wood or metal. Get some medium grit sand paper, place the gasket side of the head down and move it across the sandpaper on the flat wood or metal in a figure 8 motion for 30 seconds at a time, applying very light pressure. take a look at the gasket surface...it should be all getting scuffed or scratched by the sand paper. if you have gaps or spots that are not getting sanded, keep going until the whole gasket surface is clean.

Do the same thing with the jugs with the studs pulled out.

Is the radiator in good shape, as well? Bike jetted correctly?

I can also see you're running engine ice... I think you have a problem elsewhere...time to get checking!!

Since you're already this far, it's only going to cost you another set of base gaskets at the very least....so, I'd take the cylinders off, get them and the pistons checked.

If they're within clearance tolerances, hone and rings. If it's in question or close...top end and bore.

Since you mentioned it's pissing coolant, now is the time to get the deck of the cylinder AND the head itself checked for flatness. You can do this pretty easily yourself.

Get a flat piece of wood or metal. Get some medium grit sand paper, place the gasket side of the head down and move it across the sandpaper on the flat wood or metal in a figure 8 motion for 30 seconds at a time, applying very light pressure. take a look at the gasket surface...it should be all getting scuffed or scratched by the sand paper. if you have gaps or spots that are not getting sanded, keep going until the whole gasket surface is clean.

Do the same thing with the jugs with the studs pulled out.

Is the radiator in good shape, as well? Bike jetted correctly?

I can also see you're running engine ice... I think you have a problem elsewhere...time to get checking!!

Thanks for the advice, my bike is jetted great. The radiator is in good condition I guess.

Im kinda having a similar problem, the difference with mine is coolant is seeping out from under the # 7 stud and bolt on the head. Its been doing this since i had the head milled a couple months back, but it never has bothered me. Its not spitting enough coolant to make a difference I dont think.....I guess my question is should I be worried about this? Ive checked to make sure everyhting was torked properly and it was...

yeah i got problem like this but all my studs stripped :banghead: what do i do? i put bolts in instead, is this a good idea? i also think it is leaking compression from a bolt to. i have the new gasket in hand, but should i do something with the jugs being stripped and all. i need advise soon. i dont really want to be riding like this. i am thinking that coolent is leaking in the piston. i heard some bad stories about this happening. i dont have a good income so i dont want to spend money on a new top end again, being only a few months or so since the last time. thanks :beer: