Piping Air Lines From Air Compressor

Tim C

I just built a new garage and I want to pipe air lines from my compressor around my garage and I'm looking for some options. Is there plastic lines I can use instead of copper that will withstand the pressure (about 140PSI) and is not too expensive.

I've looked at the Garage-Pak systems - very nice but very $$$$. I'm looking for a cheaper alternitive. I don't want to be dragging a long hose from one end to the other all the time

Edited by Tim C

some 1 inch steel pipe just plumb it to where you want it in your shop. tough and just make sure you make a t fitting where your air chuck plugs in to drain any moisture.

sounds like a cool shop. must be nice

a few nice options

most guys run plain old black pipe fromt he hardware store

have multiple hose reels in the garage and a few shutoff valves

i would want a shutoff so i can turn the whole sustem off at night incase of a leak the compressor wont run itself to death

for flexible air lines

the special nylon tubing and fittings used for air brake lines on a semi trailer

my dad works at a place that services and sells trailers and customers buy the stuff all the time for air bag setups on there cars

a few nice options

most guys run plain old black pipe fromt he hardware store

have multiple hose reels in the garage and a few shutoff valves

i would want a shutoff so i can turn the whole sustem off at night incase of a leak the compressor wont run itself to death

for flexible air lines

the special nylon tubing and fittings used for air brake lines on a semi trailer

my dad works at a place that services and sells trailers and customers buy the stuff all the time for air bag setups on there cars

Thats what I did in the new barn

What kind of compressor? single stage or two stage? Two stage are right around 175 psi and single is usualy around 125- 135 psi. Really depends on how much pressure you plan on running compared to what kind of piping. I've use all types from nylon tubing with quick locks to schedule 40 and 80 pipe. I piped my garage using the nylon tubing but I'm only running 125 psi. I also hung up on the rafters one of those retactable hose reels with 50 feet of hose, I just reach up and drag it to where I need it, also mounted one of the manual wind up reels on one wall which I use for my plasma cutter. I piped in a water trap and regulator right of the compressor. Just some food for thought. :beer:

The best way to do it IMO, is use the retractable hose reals and hang them from the ceiling. Just pipe the air to them with regular air hose and run the air hose through pvc pipe for a cleaner look. This way you will never have to roll hose up again and extra hose isn't always laying around in your work area around your feet, tipping over items on your work bench etc.. Here's mine, just use as many reals as you like or need.

PDR_0084-1.jpg

We used to run 1" PVC but we'd have a blow out about 3 times per year. A real hassle in our situation because we'd have to shut the whole damn shop down until the new line was ready.

In the shop we built 9 years ago we ran copper and haven't had a single problem. No leaks, and no breaks.

Just make sure when you run your line you have it slope downwards away from the tank to a common area that has a down pipe and a spigot so you can drain the water from the lines.

What kind of compressor? single stage or two stage? Two stage are right around 175 psi and single is usualy around 125- 135 psi. Really depends on how much pressure you plan on running compared to what kind of piping. I've use all types from nylon tubing with quick locks to schedule 40 and 80 pipe. I piped my garage using the nylon tubing but I'm only running 125 psi. I also hung up on the rafters one of those retactable hose reels with 50 feet of hose, I just reach up and drag it to where I need it, also mounted one of the manual wind up reels on one wall which I use for my plasma cutter. I piped in a water trap and regulator right of the compressor. Just some food for thought. :beer:

It's a single stage 5HP - 60gal tank. The garage is 30 x 40 so I'd like to pipe it so I'm not lugging airlines everywhere. I'll eventually put in 1 recoil hose but I'm looking for something not to expensive

Just make sure when you run your line you have it slope downwards away from the tank to a common area that has a down pipe and a spigot so you can drain the water from the lines.

i was about to add that in.

neat thread, im getting ready to remote locate my compressor to the attic to save some space, so this helps out a lot.

I have been at our shop for 23 years now,piped with pvc and probably haven't had 5 problems in that time and was usually a broken fitting or glue failure at the fitting. Also running a 2 stage at about 125# with moisture traps w/drains. It is a diesel repair shop all piping run above the top of 12' roll up doors (6 bays).

At my work we used to use 1" PVC that was made for the use of air pipeing. As time went we had alot of problems with it. PVC over time when there are drastic temp changes (like in a garage) will become brittle and start to crack and have leaks. We have since switched to 1" black pipe and 1" brass valves. We have a 25hp Screw compressor that puts out 90cfm at 120 psi.

The black pipe has lowered our water in air lines and has proven to have less leaks. Plus it's really not that expensive.