im buying a banshee what should i look to be wrong

hey im looking at a 1998 banshee. Im trading a 2004 polaris scrambler 500 for it. I hate the four wheel drive and my buddy has a banshee and all it took was one ride and i was hooked. Now your probly wondering why i would trade the 04 for a 98. Well to be honest i just dont want to bother with selling it and i've waited long enough for a banshee. The shee is all stock or at least the kidd thinks it is, he just traded a truck for it a week ago and he wants a 4x4. he doesnt know anything about it. So i was wondering what are some things that i should look out for. The chain tensioner(the thing to tighten the chain when loose) broke so hes goin to fix that and take a link out of the chain. What should i do? thanks for any imput on the whole situation.

hey im looking at a 1998 banshee. Im trading a 2004 polaris scrambler 500 for it. I hate the four wheel drive and my buddy has a banshee and all it took was one ride and i was hooked. Now your probly wondering why i would trade the 04 for a 98. Well to be honest i just dont want to bother with selling it and i've waited long enough for a banshee. The shee is all stock or at least the kidd thinks it is, he just traded a truck for it a week ago and he wants a 4x4. he doesnt know anything about it. So i was wondering what are some things that i should look out for. The chain tensioner(the thing to tighten the chain when loose) broke so hes goin to fix that and take a link out of the chain. What should i do? thanks for any imput on the whole situation.

This might be way off on a limb......but I like to see how hard or abuse the bike has.....by looking at the sides of the frame......(where the paint rubs off).........thats is a very good starting point.........Im just picky ......so I would pick the bike apart if I was buying it.......there is A LOT of things to look for but that just comes with Knowledge..............goood luck :beer:

Yeah, sell your Scrambler and buy a used banshee and still pocket money.

YOu are literally throwing money away, and can use that to hop up any other banshee you might buy.

If he wanted to trade the banshee and cash for you, I'd say go for it.

A BONE Stock 98 in pristine condition around here is only worth 2000 to 2250 or so.

Your scrambler in good shape has to be worth 3200 or more...

make sure that all the bolts and the heads of them arent stripped!!!! learned from experiance :blush: .. and also look how clean it is and if any rust or anything in that matter.. the rest is just common sense, like compression and leaks and all that good stuff... good luck and let us know how it goes..... :beer:

Yeah, sell your Scrambler and buy a used banshee and still pocket money.

YOu are literally throwing money away, and can use that to hop up any other banshee you might buy.

If he wanted to trade the banshee and cash for you, I'd say go for it.

A BONE Stock 98 in pristine condition around here is only worth 2000 to 2250 or so.

Your scrambler in good shape has to be worth 3200 or more...

he offered me 300 extra cash but i no i would be lossing money i just dont want to wait to sell ir . It would probly take untill next summer :confused:

Kinda off topic but this girl I talk to has a brother with a 2wd 2 stroke scrambler I think its the 400. He was up at the bar with us and was braging about how fast it is and how he will smoke me in a drag. I said put your money where your mouth is and bet me a hun. He said no I want to do it for slips. I said no for a couple reasons 1 I would feel bad just taking someones bike off of them like that 2 what if I stalled or something and lost mine. So I said 200 and he said no slips. I probably wont do it.

and yeah put it up in your local cycle trader. It might take you a month or less. It would be well worth it. Be patient and you will get the Banshee of your dreams but when you jump at a deal it usualy ends up not being what you want. then you have to throw all kinds of $$$$ at it. Trust me on this one. If your gonna do it do it rite.

if your realy serious and just have too have it and dont care about losing the money then i would take the bike to a local dealer or builder that you trust and have them check it out i would think a good yamaha mechanic could do a compression check and go over the bike pretty good for a hour or 2 in labor and make the other guy foot the bill to make up the difference . like the others said theres many things too look for and if you have never owned a banshee it would be worth having someone that has the experiance look it over could save you lots of dollars down the road