my YFZ450 a-arm install

Mullet Man

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks heavy and over engineered. You shouldn't need that much reinforcement there.

well yeah.... but the good news is, its not gonna break from being too strong. i think the extra plate MIGHT have weighed a pound... ill make up for the two pounds gained somwhere else for sure. like my aluminum airbox vs. the heavy plastic piece of junk. also i really do not think it TOO over-built, if you remember the new shock mounting point is now 2.25 inches further in. now if you consider that to be the new fulcrum point (which it most definately is) then the added leverage ON that fulcrum is almost exponential. i dont know the formula for it all, but stands to reason that there is ALOT more added strain, with the added length of the arms PAST the shock mount point (width) that being said... i dont think its over-built (very much, if at all)... and once again... things break when theyre under-built, not over built.... as for the weight... its onlt a couple pounds on a dune/play bike... not a dragger.

finished results:

100_0508.jpg

100_0509.jpg

• 5 months later...

Holy crap! I got out of riding years ago and i just got another banshee frame and parts bike. Just looking over this thread and the first few post my typing was HORRIBLE ! lol. I have no clue how anyone could understand it. but Im in the market for some 450 a arms. just looking for the right deal to come along !

• 3 weeks later...

i used all raptor 700 stuff (all the same as 450 except taller shocks, also i have an 06 700 so i didnt have ressi shocks) and i dont have as bad of a ball joint angle and ride height as the ones with 450 shocks. i have the shocks at the softest setting so it sits a little lower than it could but i dont need the clearance for the sand.

mms_picturejpg256.jpg?t=1312776943

mms_picture-17.jpg?t=1312776848

fully compressed

mms_picturejpg257-1.jpg?t=1312776895

• 2 weeks later...

a quick question, i have a j arm frame, and i've been kickin' around the idea of doing this for some time. is the front top mount in the same location as a a arm frame? would i just have to weld a seccond tab beind it? i know i have to weld new mounts for the rear of the arm, but i don't want suspension geometry to be outta wack. does anyone have experience with this swap on a j arm frame?