my YFZ450 a-arm install

Mullet Man

Yes '06 I think is when they went to larger diameter tie rods. That's a good thing tho heh, your arms are newer (supposedly the arms themselves haven't changed over the years). I just got my set of rods from Noss and they are sweet :cool:

I did the same on the dust caps, although for a cleaner look I did what someone else did (don't remember who posted the pic); stacked the two dust caps on one end and left the other capless. Sand does have a nasty habit of coating every speck of grease it can find, but I would think that as long as you grease the zerks regularly it wouldn't be an issue. Water would be more likely to try to get inside but I'd guess that sand would just coat the grease...either way I'm not real worried about it myself, but I do grease the piss out of mine...

Well that would make sense on the tie rods then, as my arms are off an '06. Yes, they are newer, they literally have NO scratches on them at all. Well, I'll just order a set from Dave to solve my problems

As far as the dust caps go, I'll just cap the one end and do accordingly. I grease my bike very regularly as well, so I'll take my chances for the significant added benefit of the YFZ arms.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have my dust caps on. i had to trim them a little where they hit the a arm tubes. why do you say they won't work?

I have mine 450 arms trimmed within about 1/32" of the stock weld and it is a snug fit to the frame brackets. At least on mine there is no conceivable way to trim them enough to fit the dust caps.

Not that he needs any more bolstering around here, but I wanted to throw another good word in for Dave Noss. Like I said above my '06 came with the larger tie rod sleeves, so I ordered a set through NOSS at 12:45 today, by just after 2:00 I received an email saying that the UPS had been generated for it!! Plus the sleeves are super tough and not at all expensive. :thanks: :thumbsup:

I have mine 450 arms trimmed within about 1/32" of the stock weld and it is a snug fit to the frame brackets. At least on mine there is no conceivable way to trim them enough to fit the dust caps.

it's possible the arms are just a little bit different. i ground down the weld a little, but only because it was real thick. if nothing else, new bushings are cheap if they wear faster.

i think another option if someone is really worried about it, is the Brass or Bronze bushings (i think thats what metal they are), that Cascade has on thier website.

i'm not worried about and havent noticed any excessive wear and tear, FWIW.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...