my YFZ450 a-arm install

Mullet Man

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anybody elses shocks hit their upper a arm when installed?? :confused::confused::confused:

sounds like you either took too much off the back mount, not enuf off the front mount, or a combination of the 2.

you should have almost a 1/4" of clearance between upper a-arm and shock/spring

can you get pictures posted of everything installed?

Edited by Mullet Man

are the steel sleeves inside the bushings the same for the banshee and yfz? i bought some yfz arms but they came without the sleeves.

yes they are, i used the sleeves and bolts from my Banshee, as the YFZ arms i bought did not come with them.

Edited by Mullet Man

yes they are, i used the sleeves and bolts from my Banshee, as the YFZ arms i bought did not come with them.

thanks, the guy i bought the arms from is shipping me the sleeves, but now i can get started if i get time. how do your noss tie rods work? the 13 3/8" length is good?

thanks, the guy i bought the arms from is shipping me the sleeves, but now i can get started if i get time. how do your noss tie rods work? the 13 3/8" length is good?

they work exactly like they should!

the diameter on them is almost as big as the diameter of a stock upper a-arm lol

yes, 13-3/8" is right

post up some pics :thumbsup:

I measured the length from shock mount to shock mount with the wheel lifted up about 1cm, and it is 16.75in, so the Honda 450 shocks would be good. Does anyone know what after market shocks that would be the about that length?

i'm partially done with my install, i had to steal a shock off my brother in laws yfz to mock it up since mine didn't come yet. i see that you have to put the upper a arms on backwards for it to work. looking at the mount locations i wouldn't have guessed it would work. good job mulletman.

i have the a arms on, now i just have to wait for my shocks and noss tie rods to show up. i just cut the front mount as close as possible, measured back 9 1/4" (same width as the stock arms) and cut it off. i then deburred the pieces i cut off and added them to the inside of the mount. i thought about welding them, but for now they are just held in place by the bushings. since i only lost a thin saw cut per mount they tightened up fine. i took some pics but it says the file is too big when i try to upload them.

i have the a arms on, now i just have to wait for my shocks and noss tie rods to show up. i just cut the front mount as close as possible, measured back 9 1/4" (same width as the stock arms) and cut it off. i then deburred the pieces i cut off and added them to the inside of the mount. i thought about welding them, but for now they are just held in place by the bushings. since i only lost a thin saw cut per mount they tightened up fine. i took some pics but it says the file is too big when i try to upload them.

try a free picture hosting site, like tinypic.com or photobucket or something like that

the flipping of the upper arms is something i forgot to put into the original writeup on the 1st page. i cant EDIT now, so that info is spread out thru this monster topic somewhere.

So I think I must have gotten the wrong tie rod sleeves from the guy I bought my arms off of, or is there a difference between some of the YFZ years? The ends of the sleeves I got are larger diameter and just slip over the stock tie rod ends. I think I'll just order some from Dave... they use the stock ends correct. Also, on his tie rod page he doesn't list the sleeves for the 450, they aren't the same as the Raptor are they? I'm wondering if I should just PM him and make a payment through his site.

The other "problem" or so I thought was in regards to the dust caps. There was no way I was going to get them to fit, but then I re-read the post and realized MM left them out too. Any thoughts on longetivity issues due to leaving them out? I ride strictly sand, which at first seems like it would be less of an issue than the guys who ride in water; but sand does have a tendency to get in every little place. :confused:

So I think I must have gotten the wrong tie rod sleeves from the guy I bought my arms off of, or is there a difference between some of the YFZ years? The ends of the sleeves I got are larger diameter and just slip over the stock tie rod ends. I think I'll just order some from Dave... they use the stock ends correct. Also, on his tie rod page he doesn't list the sleeves for the 450, they aren't the same as the Raptor are they? I'm wondering if I should just PM him and make a payment through his site.

The other "problem" or so I thought was in regards to the dust caps. There was no way I was going to get them to fit, but then I re-read the post and realized MM left them out too. Any thoughts on longetivity issues due to leaving them out? I ride strictly sand, which at first seems like it would be less of an issue than the guys who ride in water; but sand does have a tendency to get in every little place. :confused:

Yes '06 I think is when they went to larger diameter tie rods. That's a good thing tho heh, your arms are newer (supposedly the arms themselves haven't changed over the years). I just got my set of rods from Noss and they are sweet :cool:

I did the same on the dust caps, although for a cleaner look I did what someone else did (don't remember who posted the pic); stacked the two dust caps on one end and left the other capless. Sand does have a nasty habit of coating every speck of grease it can find, but I would think that as long as you grease the zerks regularly it wouldn't be an issue. Water would be more likely to try to get inside but I'd guess that sand would just coat the grease...either way I'm not real worried about it myself, but I do grease the piss out of mine...