my YFZ450 a-arm install

Mullet Man

Well I talked to Santo Derisi (nice dude), and for the long-travel mod and triple rate springs on a set of TRX450R shocks is gonna cost $450...not bad for a little over 10" of travel. Still lookin' though, I did find one set of YFZ a-arms so far :beer:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok guys, I've been reading this post and drooling over the possibility. I have since purchased a set of 16.25" works shocks and a set of YFZ450 arms. The a-arms are on the way and the shocks are in the garage. I have also emailed the NOSS group for the billet tie rods and asked if they could make the spacers. I have not heard anything from them in over 5 days. I'm ready to do this so if anyone has any better contacts for the spacers and tie rods please let me know. I'll post the as built photos when I get done but it will be a couple of weeks from now I'm sure.

Mullet man....thanks. I owe you a beer or two. You can collect anytime you come down to the Houston area. Just give me a holler and I'll give you a place to stay for the weekend.

so honda 450 shocks willfit??? i worry bout the cans hitting pipes.. since they come back towards them.. also will 250r shocks fit???? i wanna try this i just been looking for cheap shocks cus i know banshee shocks are gonna be too short,.. but i do have a nice set of zps 250r shocks i could try out..

Mullet man....thanks. I owe you a beer or two. You can collect anytime you come down to the Houston area. Just give me a holler and I'll give you a place to stay for the weekend.

haha man :thumbsup:

its been a few years since i have been to Houston

NOSS was slow to get back to me also, maybe try and call. this is probably busy season for them/

• 3 weeks later...
negatory... the 450r shocks fit perfect... except for like i said the top mounts need some spacers made to center the shock in the frame mount...

if I remember correctly, the yfz's are 15.25 eye to eye? and the 450r's are 16.25? something like that... and my works were somewhere in the neighborhood of 14.25 eye to eye i believe...

The only thing that through me for a loop in this setup was the fact that you reverse the upper mounts... on the yfz 450s and raptors the gusset on the upper a-arms is in the front... on the banshee you need to mount that to the rear to clear your shocks...

also not paying attention i first went to put on my spindle on reverse... wow does that give you some wicked camber lol :banghead:

So, it sits higher with the 450R shocks or not? Can you please post front pics? Measure floor to frame?

Thanks, thanks, thanks!

So, it sits higher with the 450R shocks or not? Can you please post front pics? Measure floor to frame?

Thanks, thanks, thanks!

It should, according to Works' web page the OVERALL length of the shocks are:

Banshee 14.75"

YFZ450 15.75"

TRX450R 16.75"

And the Works LT shocks for a 450R and stock a-arms with 12" of travel measures 17.75" overall :woot:

I'm still waiting to hear from them about sponsorship for '07, and I need to sell a few more things before I'll have the money, but I'll be talking to them soon and see what they say. Oscar in service has hooked me up on more than one occasion so I'm confident he can help me figure it out...

WOW! There is a lot of great info in this thread. I need to keep a better eye on the suspension forum, because I didn't realize you could convert to 450 suspension so easily. So, with that in mind, I read some pages back that it wasn't clear yet whether 06 (and 07 more specifically for me) YFZ450 arms could be used. Do you still have to use 04-05, or can 06-07 arms be used as well. A guy has arms and tie rods for sale and I thought I would pick them up if they would work. Way cheaper than aftermarket. Also, I remember reading that you can use the stock brake lines? I would think the +2 width would make that impossible. Thanks!

WOW! There is a lot of great info in this thread. I need to keep a better eye on the suspension forum, because I didn't realize you could convert to 450 suspension so easily. So, with that in mind, I read some pages back that it wasn't clear yet whether 06 (and 07 more specifically for me) YFZ450 arms could be used. Do you still have to use 04-05, or can 06-07 arms be used as well. A guy has arms and tie rods for sale and I thought I would pick them up if they would work. Way cheaper than aftermarket. Also, I remember reading that you can use the stock brake lines? I would think the +2 width would make that impossible. Thanks!

yep, '04-'07 a-arms are the same. only thing different is the tie rods and tie rod ends/balljoints.

i would just get the arms off of him and then buy some aftermarket tie rods that measure 13-3/8" ($40 from NOSS Machine when you mention you are a BHQ member)

and yes, stock brake lines will work just fine! refer to the pictures on page 1 for info on how to route them.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Mullet Man

i'm thinking about trying some different front shocks, just to test them out and see whats what.

i can get some KFX/Z400 shocks in good condition for about $65 shipped. (about 16.5")

i can also get some TRX450 shocks for a little over $200 shipped. (about 16.75")

any other models you guys can think of that i could look for, cheap, that will measure 16.5" or more?

Edited by Mullet Man

i'm thinking about trying some different front shocks, just to test them out and see whats what.

i can get some KFX/Z400 shocks in good condition for about $65 shipped. (about 16.5")

i can also get some TRX450 shocks for a little over $200 shipped. (about 16.75")

any other models you guys can think of that i could look for, cheap, that will measure 16.5" or more?

I dunno man, I scoped a few 450R forums and looked on ebay and the stock 450R shocks aren't going cheap...maybe it's just me but over $200 for a pair of stock shocks is just nutty. I'd be willing to bet LT450R shocks are long and would work, but they are scarce too. If I had a chance to try those Z400 shocks for $65 I'd jump on it...

they should bolt up. they might need spacers or something for the mounts. (i dunno for sure). but they should bolt up enuf to take some pics, just to get an idea. gopher it.

the ones i was looking at dont have the reservoir either. not that big a deal to me

:huh:has anyone tried cutting and sectioning the stock tie rods and extending them an inch and welding them back together???? can it be done??

i havent heard of that being done. dont know if i would attempt it. but if you have skill and trust your work, anything is possible. me personally, i dont like that idea. it breaks, you get hurt!

anyway, the tierods would need to be extended more then just 1", you would want them to be 13-3/8" in length for the tie rod only.