should i port or head?

And....once you start with porting and/or raising your compression...I'm just going to say it, get your stock crank trued and welded.

Some on here will tell you they've run stockers for 100 years, but...more will tell you it's a good idea at any point. If you're gonna get it ported, tear it down a little further and weld that crank.

If you're gonna go drag bike eventually, this is an absoloute must...so, why not get it done now?

if your goal and budget is to run pump gas you wil leasily get equal performance out of milling your stock head for 20cc rather than a 250$ coolhead ,also they cool the same once therye up to temperature ,really only a bigger radiator will cool your bike better .But,If your dead set on getting a coolhead definitly get a noss head over the other models .good porting can increase torque and hp

by over 75% on a piped banshee. adding 30lbs of static compression (ex;20cc domes)is only like a gain of 10%.down the road both should be done however. :beer:

very well put denny! thats what iv been trying to say the whole time... theres no reason to buy a 250 dollar head when you can do your stocker and get the same gains, i dont know many people that change thier domes yea its nice to have but wash your the first person i know that changes them once they got thier bike up and running.

as far as why do we suggest porting first denny hit it on the head..

all the bolt on mods are nice but they dont truly shie until yo get your motor ported , thats when you truely wake the monster inside... you can spend 500-600 bucks on bolt on parts and sure youll have some gains, or you can send 300-400 on a good port job and get GREAT gains, then to complment those gain by adding your bolt ons later.

:beer:

heres the thing about why people push porting.

you can add up all the performance benefits of a head, reeds, timing, air filter etc and all of those items wont even have 50% of the gains of a port job. plus all that stuff costs the same if not more than porting.

the 2 biggest gains on a stock banshee are pipes and porting. ill assume from here on out that everyone here already has pipes. thats probably the first thing any banshee owner gets.

look at the cost of porting. you can get a good port job for between $170 and $400. throw in a top end gasket kit for another $20. if you need new pistons another $160.

so between the cost of $200 and $580 you could have youre cylinders ported.

now look at the cost of bolt ons.

reeds: $220

timing plate: $35 + $15 flywheel tool

cool head: $260

filter: $30

total cost $560

to summarise, porting, $580. bolt ons, $560. the ported bike WILL have more power, alot more. im not going to throw out horsepower numbers because this is a very generic post and didnt even consider what type of porting would be done, the type of pipes, etc.

ok im gonna go ahead and get it ported first. i was planning on gettting drag porting from jeff. now when i get drag porting will i still be able to do mx style riding i will have no low to middle at all? what is the diffrences in the styles of porting? is it the way the material is ground away? once i do get porting wiht my listed mods do i need to do anything else? i will weld the crank but is that must do with poritng or is that gonna be one of those rainy day things? i have a tig welder and i am pretty proficient wiht it. can i weld it and then send it out to get balanced? what yall think?

Don't take this the wrong way....but, just because you are proficient with a welder (wish I was) doesn't mean you know how to properly weld the crank. I'd let Jeff do that as well...and he does it great.

He rewelded my hot rods 4mil I bought off him and did a hellva good job.

I'd get a dune/play port from Jeff.

Drag ports typically are all top end motor. They make the most power, but...the trade off is they do it at a very high RPM and for a very small RPM range. When you're drag racing, you're WOT...so, mid to low end mean nothing.

Porting is an art. It's not just about making holes bigger, it's about shape as well..probably more importantly, too.

Porting basically changed how the fuel/air is pulled into the motor, and how it gets out. The size/shape of the ports dictate how the power is made, at what RPM and for how long....

What you want it more "usable" power...not just MORE power period!!

Ill put my bone stock motor espically when I get suspention up against any of your dune/play or drag ported motors and I will eat you alive 10 times out of 10 in the woods. More power doesnt always mean more USEABLE POWER! Not to mention alot of you have + swingarms witch doesnt stand any chance in the woods against a stocker unless its one crappy rider riding the stocker.

ok i was just wondering about the welding the crank and stuff. ok so when i port it what all else am i gonna have to do? new pistons? weld the crank? timing plate? what is absolutely neccessary to do to have the right setup wiht a drap/play port?

Yes the Wiesico pro lites are the better stronger piston for the setup. That includes getting it bored .20 over. You can run stock pistons and just get the new top end kit for them but for the extra pistons $160 and bore $60 its worth it for preformance and reliability. I believe the correct recomended timing advance for the dune/play is +4. You also must get your crank trued and welded.

you dont "need" anything else if your porting, how ever it would be wise to go ahead and redo your top end while your at it... its hard to pick from a few mods, they all have a nice play in bringing your motor to life... you just got to take some and lose some until you got the bills to get them all...

keep in mind if you plan on doing a stroker your porting is wasted...

youlll need to have it reported to correct your port timings for the stroker..

Edited by Bansh-eman

• 3 months later...

a port job will give you the most power! You won't really notice too much with a noss heas w/domes. The bike will perform better, but won't have more power! With a port job, you will for sure notice a huge increase in power! My $.02

lol i can see this post opening up into a whole big can of worms. but im going to put my .02 cent in anyway. i will have to agree with washburn. get sime good reeds and you wil notic a big difference. your power is going to come on alot sooner. i went ahead and sent my bike to jeffs to get ported even before i got pipes, i will have everything once i get my motor back though lol. wish i would have just done all the bolt on now just so i could see the difference but if i where you i would get some reeds and a timing plate and just do the bolt on stuff until your motor gives up then once you hace it toren down for the rebuild then i would send it away along with your crank. if you get it ported before you have all the other stuff then its not going to preform to its best until you get the good bolt ons.