What to expect from rebuild

I bought a 96 banshee rode it for a month and then found compression to be 100 psi in both cylinders. My pistons/rings were worn so I mapped / ported the cylinders, had em honed and replaced the stock pistons with a weisco pro lites. It is bone stock other than the reeds and porting what kind of horse should it be putting out? I may opt for pipes but need them 95db or less for my state. If I do get pipes Ill have the porting done a little more radical. What is the most youve heard of or know you can get out of a stock motor with stock pipes? I heard 55 or so horse but I know nothing!!

Any input would be great

I bought a 96 banshee rode it for a month and then found compression to be 100 psi in both cylinders. My pistons/rings were worn so I mapped / ported the cylinders, had em honed and replaced the stock pistons with a weisco pro lites. It is bone stock other than the reeds and porting what kind of horse should it be putting out? I may opt for pipes but need them 95db or less for my state. If I do get pipes Ill have the porting done a little more radical. What is the most youve heard of or know you can get out of a stock motor with stock pipes? I heard 55 or so horse but I know nothing!!

Any input would be great

55 horse for a stock banshee with just pipes is pretty damn high, but im not a dyno. I would think around 30ish. I know toomey has pipes with a hush thing to bring down the db's. If I were you i wouldnt worry about horsepower. A stock banshee is pretty damn fast. Pipes would really put some life to your banshee though.

Don't take this the wrong way...but, porting is an art.

If you've done it before, you can very easily get 55HP with porting and pipes, but...have you rejetted accordingly, opened up the air box a little, etc....

However, it really depends on how much you actually ported it. You could actually make it worse without knowing what you're doing!

For cheap mods, get some compression and timing in that thing, too!

The porting was done by a shop. They only ported it for stock pipes and a K&N it was actually recommended to use stock pipes with the porting they did. The quad came with an adjustable aftermarket cdi box that was never installed I have it somewhere Ill look for it. I jetted it for the K&N nothing more. When it was stock it took a little leaning back to get the wheels to come up in 1st thru 3rd just gasing it on a roll now it takes most of my big ass leaning forward to keep the front wheels on the ground while doing the same thing. Id say it was pretty impressive actually. The shop says that the porting with K&N should give me 8-11 horse give or take. If you guys are interested in learning about porting look up macdizzy.com its a great site about two strokes!!!

ive done a little simlutaion work with the stock pipes and to be honest they dont seem to have the geometry for high rpm power. i think you could build a mean midrange motor with them however.

grab an adjustable timing plate, thats a nice gain and its hidden so no one will know. have the stock head cut and oringed. again a good increase and no one will know. stick a k&n in the stock airbox but remove the snorkel. cut out the divider in the lid's opening for more flow. no one will know about that either.

you could have a nice midrange motor for pretty cheap. but dont expect it to run as well as the piped bikes on the faster parts of youre riding.

The porting was done by a shop. They only ported it for stock pipes and a K&N it was actually recommended to use stock pipes with the porting they did. The quad came with an adjustable aftermarket cdi box that was never installed I have it somewhere Ill look for it. I jetted it for the K&N nothing more. When it was stock it took a little leaning back to get the wheels to come up in 1st thru 3rd just gasing it on a roll now it takes most of my big ass leaning forward to keep the front wheels on the ground while doing the same thing. Id say it was pretty impressive actually. The shop says that the porting with K&N should give me 8-11 horse give or take. If you guys are interested in learning about porting look up macdizzy.com its a great site about two strokes!!!

I"m not trying to be a smart ass, really....just stating facts. 33 to 35HP is bone stock, you'd have to have one HELL of a port job to get over 50 on stock pipes....

If you think it's hard to keep the front end down now....put some good pipes on. WHOLE new ballgame!!!

• 4 months later...
ive done a little simlutaion work with the stock pipes and to be honest they dont seem to have the geometry for high rpm power. i think you could build a mean midrange motor with them however.

grab an adjustable timing plate, thats a nice gain and its hidden so no one will know. have the stock head cut and oringed. again a good increase and no one will know. stick a k&n in the stock airbox but remove the snorkel. cut out the divider in the lid's opening for more flow. no one will know about that either.

you could have a nice midrange motor for pretty cheap. but dont expect it to run as well as the piped bikes on the faster parts of youre riding.

Resurrection of an old post but i have a wee question.

In a full gasket kit you get two big o rings, i have had my head machined do i need the o rings as well as the standard heaad gasket as i couldnt see how that worked?? just dont want to do it wrong!

Resurrection of an old post but i have a wee question.

In a full gasket kit you get two big o rings, i have had my head machined do i need the o rings as well as the standard heaad gasket as i couldnt see how that worked?? just dont want to do it wrong!

Those big O rings are for your pipes.And as far as the port job ,Ive never heard of anyone porting their bike before buying atleast some pipes.Actually Ive never heard of a stock pipes port job.Dont get me wrong it may be possible ,but most people port after they have done some simpler mods like pipes, jet kit, adjustable timing plate, milled head, and a couple of others...

what does he mean by milled and o ringed then?

I was answering your question about the Orings in your gasket kit.Those big Orings are supposed to go on the small round tip of the pipe that connects to the motor.And as far as the milled head goes I was responding to the thread starters question about a port job..