Need new clutch

bad boyz cycles

Ive burn the stock clutch in 2 passes and the barnett in one is there a good clutch out there that will hold up more than 2 passes before slipping.

I have everything installed correctly and adjusted perfect so that cant be the problem.

I dont want to put a lock up clutch cause I dont like the way it looks

Any suggestions on what I can try

you dont like the solid covers ether but you will not need to mod the cover for the 8 disk set up. But from a performance stand point and money stand point you may want to run a lock up to get all the power you spent money on, to the ground and stop wasting money on clutches thats just my .02

I have a stock stroke with about 70 hp to the rear wheel and I want to keep the stock look as much as possible. that is why i dont want the lock up clutch.

I do believe you can get a lockup cover in black. They don't really look different than the stocker, just half inch wider.

Its the only way you're gonna get all 70hp to the ground and keep a clutch in it.

We have guys running our clutch in 100hp bikes for years with no problems (and no lockup) so i dont think 70 hp is gonna pose a problem. Its all in the setup! :wink:

We have guys running our clutch in 100hp bikes for years with no problems (and no lockup) so i dont think 70 hp is gonna pose a problem. Its all in the setup! :wink:

Hmm...guess I don't know how to set em up cause my cub on gas turned the plates purple before I went to a lockup. Didn't really know there was a science to it! :wink:

I was using barnetts in my banshee last year when my banshee had ported cylinders and they did fine.When I switched pipes and to alcohol they went bad quick.I switched to Jeff's clutches with the new set-up and they worked great.

I have since got drag ported cylinders,lock-up,etc...from Jeff and again,they have worked great. :thanks:

Hmm...guess I don't know how to set em up cause my cub on gas turned the plates purple before I went to a lockup. Didn't really know there was a science to it! :wink:

hmm, i ran my FAST clutch in my old 4mm cairo motor that made almost 80 hp for a good year. about 10 hillclimbs, 2 dune trips, and about 20 dyno passes with no issues whatsoever. then i ran that same clutch in my 4mm cub motor for a year without a lockup in prolly 10 more hillclimbs, and a dune trip. not to mention all the passes i had in my field testing and tuning..maybe you did set yours up wrong because mine worked great for 2 years on 2 different motors that made more than 70 hp easy.. :shrug:

Right or wrong, I think I'll leave it as it is. Sure does seem to run down the track at a good pace. I think even Jeff will attest to that!

street bike clutches such as fzr fibers hold up just fine with 70 hp.EBC uses the same fibers in they're aftermarket clutches.barnett carbon fibers and dirt diggers will hold up too if you install the fibers and steels properly and adjust them properly.most people think they need to run out and buy a high priced clutch or some miracle clutch fiber when they actually overlook a few minor things when they put the clutch assembly together.check your pressure plate and inner hub for wear.the surface the clutch runs on should be flat from one edge to the other edge.if theres a small ridge on the inner edge it should be replaced.that little ridge will show you how much the pressure plate and inner hub is worn down.when you get to the steels there is a proper way to install them.when they are made they are stamped from a steel sheet .they have a slightly rounded edge on one side and a sightly sharp edge on the other side .look closely at them and install them with the same edge all in one direction .i install mine with all the slightly rounded edges outward.there's probally a few on here that will disagree with me but i ran the same clutch for a couple years at the drags and had 70+ hp and 48 ft lbs of torque.that was a barnett clutch.

street bike clutches such as fzr fibers hold up just fine with 70 hp.EBC uses the same fibers in they're aftermarket clutches.barnett carbon fibers and dirt diggers will hold up too if you install the fibers and steels properly and adjust them properly.most people think they need to run out and buy a high priced clutch or some miracle clutch fiber when they actually overlook a few minor things when they put the clutch assembly together.check your pressure plate and inner hub for wear.the surface the clutch runs on should be flat from one edge to the other edge.if theres a small ridge on the inner edge it should be replaced.that little ridge will show you how much the pressure plate and inner hub is worn down.when you get to the steels there is a proper way to install them.when they are made they are stamped from a steel sheet .they have a slightly rounded edge on one side and a sightly sharp edge on the other side .look closely at them and install them with the same edge all in one direction .i install mine with all the slightly rounded edges outward.there's probally a few on here that will disagree with me but i ran the same clutch for a couple years at the drags and had 70+ hp and 48 ft lbs of torque.that was a barnett clutch.

Excellent technical advice Steve! I was already aware of all this information due to my long background with MX bikes but I'm sure there are many others on here who could use the information.

If I can add one tip to your write up.

There should be some freeplay at the lever as well. As a rule of thumb if you can slide a nickel between the lever and perch it is adjusted properly there as well.

I'm not saying one clutch is better than the others (although in Hondas I have had better luck with stock parts than any aftermarket brand), just that I bought the expensive clutch as insurance. It was set up according to the write up and all the parts were in excellent shape. For one reason or another it turned purple after only a couple times at the strip which led me to believe that a lockup was in order. Since installing it, I have seen no more evidence of wear or slippage, hence the recommendation.

Edited by reded