02 electrical headaches

Woes: New wiring harness,new CDI,new stator,new coil and plugs with no fire. On the harness only the key switch wires are cut and pigtailed the TORS is disconnected because thats one thing i was sure of.The grounds at the coil and to the frame are making good contact.No lights are plugged in.

The pickup coil is .017 from the flywheel poles.Timing is +7.

Is there anything else on an 02 harness that needs to be cut and twisted together like the parking brake and throttle wires? Sucks when you're stumped and pissed at the same time it makes things worse. :banghead:

Hey buddy mind telling us if you have the TORS still on your bike? I would also check to make sure that the connections are well seated. I had same problem on my 96 banshee. If that doesnt work you may have an ignition problem being as that is the only thing that hasnt been replaced 52 dollars and all your electrical is good to go. My bike started acting up yesterday and now it doesnt spark. I will be tearing into it tonight i will let you know when i get into mine what else i find out.

Woes: New wiring harness,new CDI,new stator,new coil and plugs with no fire. On the harness only the key switch wires are cut and pigtailed the TORS is disconnected because thats one thing i was sure of.The grounds at the coil and to the frame are making good contact.No lights are plugged in.

The pickup coil is .017 from the flywheel poles.Timing is +7.

Is there anything else on an 02 harness that needs to be cut and twisted together like the parking brake and throttle wires? Sucks when you're stumped and pissed at the same time it makes things worse. :banghead:

When you cut the key switch wires, did you ground red/black??

Mr.96Drag: Thanks and I've double checked all connectors.Yeah post what you find after you've checked into your bike it may help.

Mr.Lizard: I'll be sure to send you my E-mail addy for the info.thanks!

Mr.Ben: I have not grounded the black and red switch wires.Just a quick twist.

I thought there was something tricky about the 02 and up harness's that are different than the previous years when it comes to tossing the tors.Everything is new and there has to be something I'm missing.

Would you thing I need to cut and pigtail the E-brake wires?

an ignition problem being as that is the only thing that hasnt been replaced

Not trying to be a smart ass, but he's replaced the stator, CDI, coil and wiring harness...what else is there? I'm assuming Bri bought an RS Stator, which comes with a new timing plate and pickup....

Brian...check the wires behind the timing plate to make sure they're not pinched. Did you buy a new harness, or redo yours?

I have two extra stock coils laying around...I could ship you if you think that'll help. The CDI and Stator I have is from my 96...so, wiring is different.

Did you remove and unplug the TORS brain under the tank?

I appreciate the offer Dajogejr and may need you're help if i find something odd when I take a meter to everything.

Every electrical part for the banshee is spankin new and i'm trying to avoid getting nuts by cutting and twisting a bunch of wires out of desperation.It's not practical.

Anther thing is I have spare stators and CDI's to swap and mess with if at all necessary.The CDI and stator is from ricky stator,the wiring harness is from Cascade and the coil is nology.The Nology coil is grounded to the head as reccomended.

Everything accociated with the TORS is long gone.Possibly just possibly I have a faulty new part on my hands.

I tested the black and orange and no juice is getting to the coil.Hmmm.

Been down that route...my friend.

Everything new here, too..but, I bought a dyna instead of a stock CDI.

I have my motor at my builder's right now...crank seal is bad, and I don't have the time to do it myself. Plus...I think I'm gonna get some more "goodies"...too.

Good luck, Brian...

On the newer CDI's there is an extra purple (usually) wire that has to do with the TORS, I would make sure that one is taped off and that the red/black is grounded well...

You need to make sure you have these wires connected (and continuity) to make it run:

Stator to CDI:

Black

Red

Green

Red/White

Green/White

CDI to coil:

Black

Orange

CDI to kill switch:

Black/White

Black

CDI & Stator to frame:

Black (you got that covered)

AND you need to make sure Red/Black is grounded somewhere, cut and twisted together to black before or after the connector for the key switch should be ok, for a cleaner look make a jumper with the key switch side connector so that Red/Black is connected straight to Black.

For the purple wire, one way to do it is at the CDI connector, on the harness side remove the terminal from the connector (use a sharp pick to release the terminal, there's a little plastic tab inside the connector that keeps it in place), lay the wire back on the harness and tape it off. Just make double sure you have everything else going to the stator (red, green, r/w, g/w, black, orange, black/white, black/red).

If all that's kosher and you've unplugged the TORS control box, the only thing that's left is the flywheel...unless one of the new components is DOA (not unheard of); you can test the stator with a meter or swap in one of those extra CDI's and see if it changes anything...

One more thing, you need to make sure black/white is NOT grounded, it'll tell the CDI to shut down; you might find that connector and unplug it and see if that changes anything, if so the kill switch is either "off" or completing the circuit when it shouldn't...

I can't thank all of you enough for the replies.I'll be busy in my garage going like hell tomorrow to find the problem.Poor ol'girl is just a lawn ornament without spark.I will thoroughly review all info posted and go step by step by step.

Too bad I haven't hit it rich yet ,you all would have booked flights to Connecticut to give me a hand.