Can someone explain the differnt fishing reels to me

I see there are spinning reels, bait casting reels and then just casting reels.

I bought a very nice reel the other year but you cant cast with it for some reason. It looks like a baitcast reel, but its used to drop your line from when your in a boat, you have to pull the line out yourself.

I did the whole weight thing and i set up the drag really loose and it will cast but nothing further than 4 -6 feet lol. And im pretty sure the real isnt broken it was a top of the line back then and works perfect except for the casting part.

Well a baitcaster you have to keep you're thumb on the spool when you cast out or your line will snarl.

Spincaster has a bail on it.You pull the bail over keeping your index finger on the line then when you cast,just release your finger and the line goes out.

Posting a pic of the reel you bought would help out alot.

ima florida boy i live for fishing ... go tarpon fishing probly once a week . i got some good spots to catch tarpon from shore . Anyways

A bait caster reel is only really good for small lake fishing. And they are tricky due to getting back lash when you cast. You have to make sure you keep your thumb on the spool or lese you will get a knot and itll ruin your fishing day. TRUST ME I HATE BAIT CASTERS !!!!!!

Your best bet is a spinning reel , i prefer to run the saltwater series penn's i have over 25 differnt penn reels ranging from 100 bucks to over 900 . Me and my ol man have been fishing for years we have owend many boats , but at the moment we are wokin on getting a flats boat.

The rod you describe to me , is more of a bottom fishing style , not so much for casting .

I got into fly fishing at a early age , and started tying my own flys... There is nothing like catching a fish on a " fly " you made yourself . Aswell as fly rods are 14+ feet tall and they make the smallest fish a challenge to catch.

If you are looking to get some decent style rod for fishing without spending a fortune, wether its inshore , offshore , pond fishing etc. Look into shakespear UGLY STICKS . sports authority carries the rod alone for around 30 bucks , you can pickup a nice gold penn reel for about 70 or so. They are both garuntee'd for life agasint any breaking or any fuck ups...

Hope any of this info has helped you into understanding differnt fishing reels , aswell give you a insight on fishing styles.

that rod you explained is for drop lining

like from the side of a boat for bottom fishing

no matter how much weight you put on it its not going to cast

spinning reels are the all around ones that you can do everything with

that rod you explained is for drop lining

like from the side of a boat for bottom fishing

no matter how much weight you put on it its not going to cast

spinning reels are the all around ones that you can do everything with

Thats what I thought.... and you mean reel im guessing, never said anything about a rod.

So the only difference is the type of casting with these reels, 1 you hold a button, the other you dont.

yes i meant reel but those type of reels are mostly found on stiffer shorter poles. and yes the only difference is a button and the other has a bail. now there are bait casters that have a button also and you can cast them but only the pro's really use them. i fuckin hate em.

yes i meant reel but those type of reels are mostly found on stiffer shorter poles. and yes the only difference is a button and the other has a bail. now there are bait casters that have a button also and you can cast them but only the pro's really use them. i fuckin hate em.

Thats what i thought I bought but then i tried casting it and it wont go anywhere. I kinda wanted a reel that I can use for casting but looks like a bait caster.