Boots

Well I've finally given in and decided I need to get some boots. But I refuse to get something as stiff as Alpinestars. Ive tried riding with them (not for a little bit, for a whole day), and can't stand them. From what Ive read online, and from talking to a few people, something like Gaernes Explorer boot would be perfect. It allows some movement, but still protective.

Does anybody have any experience with them, or any other similar boots? And know where to get a good price on them.

I just picked up a set of thor boots and I went ridingwith those last night, they work good but I just had to adjust my shift lever linkage. They are also pretty easy to walk in aswell. The boots cost $190 canadian

Edited by Banshee_19

If you don't like alpinestars I don't know what to tell you... they make just about every possible boot you can buy.... The only difference in the compared sixsixone or gaerne boot to the alpinestar model of equal price is the buckle closure and how the inside sole fits your foot.... Any good boot is going to be stiff for at least 2 months...

BTW, I can run in my tech 8's... there so comfortable I can leave them on after riding......

Mike

If you don't like alpinestars I don't know what to tell you... they make just about every possible boot you can buy.... The only difference in the compared sixsixone or gaerne boot to the alpinestar model of equal price is the buckle closure and how the inside sole fits your foot.... Any good boot is going to be stiff for at least 2 months...

BTW, I can run in my tech 8's... there so comfortable I can leave them on after riding......

Mike

:huh: Run in them? My problem with the Alpinestars is they are too narrow in the heel. I know its meant to be like that to hold your foot in place, but its too much for me. Plus it would be nice for them to flex a little. The ones I rode with were a buddies, and they are plenty broke in, so that wasn't the issue.

:huh: Run in them? My problem with the Alpinestars is they are too narrow in the heel. I know its meant to be like that to hold your foot in place, but its too much for me. Plus it would be nice for them to flex a little. The ones I rode with were a buddies, and they are plenty broke in, so that wasn't the issue.

That's when it comes down to personal preference... I like a stiff boot.. the gaerne sg-10's are a little wider than the 8's.... the fox forma pros are the sweetness too from what my buddies say.. they look to be a little wider and break in nice too...

Mike

Dude. You're gonna have to suffer at first. No matter what you buy. If you've been riding in shoes, EVERY boot is going to feel like shit, be uncomfortable and "unrideable".

I wore boots from day 1. Anything else just does'nt feel right to me.

I have a set of Thor T20s. Cheap. They are about 4 years old now. They feel just as comfortable as my sneakers.

You just have to deal with it for a while. Wear them around the house, do squats in them. Bottom line, RIDE in them. Stick with ANY boot and they'll grow on you. I've seen some nasty carnage from folks not wearing boots.

I have Alpinestar Tech 6's and for the first few trips it looked like i had a broomstick shoved up my ass when i tried to walk... but after an entire season I cant even notice I am wearing them and hardly ever take them off during a desert trip.

I have Alpinestar Tech 6's and for the first few trips it looked like i had a broomstick shoved up my ass when i tried to walk...

yeah, i know that feeling. my t6's took a lot of getting used to, especially with shifting - raised my shift lever quite a bit and missed lots of shifts till i got used to them. but i used to wear my old steel toe 8" work boots riding. big change, but now i love it and feel much safer in my t6's. besides, if they aren't somewhat stiff, how much good are they going to do you anyway?? one of my biggest reasons for getting boots was more ankle support/protection. once you ride a few times with them on, you'll forget that you're even wearing them anyway, you'll adjust to the change easier than you think.

i have two questions about boots. first is how should i choose the size. there are no 1/2 sizes so do i go with a boot a little tighter, being the size 9 were my toes can just feel the toe of the boot when i wear two pairs of socks, or do i go with the size ten were the boot seems a little big in the toe?

my second question is what do you guys wear under the bots for socks for winter when its cold and summer when its hot?

thanks for any help.

iv had my thor boots for 4 years now. i tried on a pair of fox boots last week and they make the thor ones feel very uncomfortable. they have always been stiff and they are quite narrow.

my advise.... dont get thor.

The upper line Fox boots already feel broken in when you buy them, they're awesome. As far as socks, they make coolmax for the summer and thick wool for the winter. Both are around $15 for a good pair. I'm assuming boots come in whole sizes because of the difference in socks, seems like it might give you a little more room depending on which type of sock you're wearing. Go with some Fox boots or 661, they're so close I'm betting the same people make them since they're both supposed to be Italian. Here's my dirty pair.

Picture314.jpg