Da Vinci Code

warwgn

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was Chomby from Pee Wee's Playhouse.

People don't remember, and its rarely said, but Lawrence Fishburne, the guy that played Morpheus in The Matrix, was Cowboy Curtis on that show.

He sure was. I saw that shit on tv last night. You ever watch Adult Swim? He was on there

last night.

You are partly correct but also very incorrect. The torah is the first 5 books of the old testament. The talmud is something completely different. The talmud is jewish rabbinical ORAL INTERPRETATION of the torah. That is to say, the talmud is what the rabbis THINK the torah means.

Jesus was against that type of oral tradition wasn't He rkc (against recording and passing

down these interpretations as if they were themselves scriptural)?

Hey 04le:

The talmud is now a set of printed instructions that sometimes goes hand in hand w/torah. If you did not catch my earlier post I married jewish.So I know a little about jewish practice. I did not know Shee-Male's back round (thought he might be jewish bcz of his ref.) I included it w/o thinking about it. When I reread my post I see the confusion. You are right though & thanks for your correction.It won't be the last time I need it! also I wanted to mention the christian church has plenty of talmud it's called doctrine/dogma.

Edited by rkc

Hey 04le:

The talmud is now a set of printed instructions that sometimes goes hand in hand w/torah. If you did not catch my earlier post I married jewish.So I know a little about jewish practice. I did not know Shee-Male's back round (thought he might be jewish bcz of his ref.) I included it w/o thinking about it. When I reread my post I see the confusion. You are right though & thanks for your correction.It won't be the last time I need it! also I wanted to mention the christian church has plenty of talmud it's called doctrine/dogma.

Actually I mispoke also. The jewish people call the first 5 books of the old testament the

pentatauch (sp?) and that combined with the talmud (jewish oral interpretation) comprise the torah. My point was that a knowledgeable Christian (that is not a requirement and I am not saying that you are NOT a knowledgeable Christian and I'm not saying that I am) would never equate the jewish talmud (not scripture) to the old testament (true scripture) and I was very surprised that you did not distinguish this. We could open up a really nasty can of worms over the talmud if we wanted to but I don't see anything positive that could come from it so I won't pursue it. The jewish talmud in fact negates the Christian view of scripture.

Hey 04le:

also I wanted to mention the christian church has plenty of talmud it's called doctrine/dogma.

No sir. The Christian "talmud" is not called doctrine/dogma, it is called The New Testament and it is not based on asinine extremes of exegesis. It is based on Jesus.

No sir. The Christian "talmud" is not called doctrine/dogma, it is called The New Testament and it is not based on asinine extremes of exegesis. It is based on Jesus.

Tongue in cheek! thats one of the problems w/internet no facial inflections!

Actually I mispoke also. The jewish people call the first 5 books of the old testament the

pentatauch (sp?) and that combined with the talmud (jewish oral interpretation) comprise the torah. My point was that a knowledgeable Christian (that is not a requirement and I am not saying that you are NOT a knowledgeable Christian and I'm not saying that I am) would never equate the jewish talmud (not scripture) to the old testament (true scripture) and I was very surprised that you did not distinguish this. We could open up a really nasty can of worms over the talmud if we wanted to but I don't see anything positive that could come from it so I won't pursue it. The jewish talmud in fact negates the Christian view of scripture.

...the next step is to pick up a rifle.

Hey Shee-Male, your right, your memory hasn't failed you. The torah or talmud is the 1st 5 books of the old testiment (instructions)

It's hard to find common ground sometimes when their's so much shouting (although it's kinda fun somtimes!) I'd like to tell you sometime why I converted. I did it on my own with my own thinking (mostly). You'll have to take my word on this I'm not religious even if I may sound that way. And yes other christians make me nuts sometimes even though some are my bro's & sis's.

oh yeah, Moosehead Lager is one of my favorite beers

rkc, you've peaked my interest and seethed my anger (that usually goses hand in hand), care to elaberate a little more?

The video that helldriver posted is what infuriates me, I see this all the time, people use religion as a mask so people drop their guard. Weather it be at a funeral or a slayer concert, it is always inappropriate, and I don't recall any scripture disribing these actions...well I guess it depends on how you interpate them. This is why we athiests can relate with one and other, you won't find us at any protest, anywhere, unless there was a athiest protest...but that seems like some kind of oxymoron?

...ah yes moosehead...mmmmmmmmm, I'm also a fan of the dark beers...mmmmmm