How do you repair holes in fiberglass boat?

I have had 2 boats and the best bet it to let a pro do it, not woth sinking in the middle of the lake when you are dealing with a high powered boat and a fiberglass hull it will shak rattle loose if not done right.

we have several boats and waverunners and have had to do many things with fiberglass over the past few years. Its really not that hard to fiberglass, actually really simple as long as you have the right supply's you should be able to do it yourself and its pretty inexpensive, or i guess you could pay someone to do it but that requires some $. When you fiber glass i wouldnt do it over wood really (thats how our transom (sp) on our bassboat almost came off almost loosing the motor, instead use metal and a thick coat of fiberglassing, (fiberglass let it dry, sand it smooth and you should be done or if you want to add another coat just incase do the same thing) this is for if you pulled the boat out on land too.I dont know if this helped but eh o well :wacko:

good luck :cheers:

Edited by quadwanter

permalite plastics orange county california (costa mesa) your looking for there rapid set epoxy( sets up in ten minutes) you snorkol under the boat do the repair and your done .....200 bucks for a gallon kit you got part A and B mix it 50/50, the shits like JB weld for under water use

I dont know how to do fiberglass was hoping I could do something simple and cheap, I think i figured out a way.

508493[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure he has the boat out of the water Jim, but that is good to know

sir. :cheers:

Like Daryn said, fix fiberglass with fiberglass. It doesn't get any easier.

Cut strips of fiberglass cloth (comes with the repair kit). Pour the resin out on a

large oven pan or other shallow pan and add the required number of drops of the resin hardener. Stir it up, soak the strips really good and slap it on. Then smooth it out with a gloved hand soaked in the resin/hardener. Get it as smooth as you can while its wet because it's kind of hard to sand. Roughen up the surrounding surface a little before you mix the resin and I would also probably drill a couple of small holes around the large holes and make sure the resin soaked cloth dimples and sets up on the inside of those holes, locking the repair in place. Sand, skim coat bondo, sand again and match the paint. :shrugani:

the epoxy im talking about is made for under water applictions........ive used it to repair my boat, works like a charm goes off under water dries in 10 minutes, they also have a 24 hour cold epoxy, but the hot stuff you stir up on the dock, dive and apply it, surface go back in ten or 15 minutes and its a done deal...its as expensive as hell but works great.......if the boats dry docked, shit you got tons of options.........

Edited by Blue Duece