compression testers

MILO

have gotton a top and bottom box full of tools from the guy over the years........

511538[/snapback]

i workin towards that point. i really want a 53" inch wide roll cab and maybe a topbox later on if i still need one.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

d_25_01.jpg

I have a gauge like this one. The valve is in the main hose while the thread on adaptor is just hollow. I CC the adaptor and it is 3.5cc. That means that the actual size of the combustion chamber or dome size is +3.5CC's. I have 19cc domes at 2000 FT elevation with fresh top end and the compression test with this gauge shows 115 to 120 PSI. Acording to NOSS's Compression Table LINK

with 19cc domes i should be in the 160 psi range. There page shows with stock size domes at 2000ft is 118 psi. The +3.5CC that my compression gauge creates explains why my 19cc domes read 115 to 120 psi. Not a real accurate gauge at all. I am looking for a better one.

The snap on one has the valve right in the end of the hose so no volume is added to the combustion chamber.

19630.JPG

PS. If you think Craftsman is better than Snap On. Why is the standard Craftsman 3/8 ratchet have a shorter handle than the standard 3/8 Snap on ratchet. Maybe because shorter handle = less chance of warrenty work. Plus Snap on ratches have finner teeth in the ratchet so it works better in tighter places.

Edited by jbooker82

The extra cc's that are inside an adaptor has little affect on the amount of pressure that is built up in a tester. If you are at around 115-120 with 18 cc domes I think you have other problems that you have to look at. Reeds maybe leaking, air leak, head not properly torqued, etc...... :beer:

The extra cc's that are inside an adaptor has little affect on the amount of pressure that is built up in a tester. If you are at around 115-120 with 18 cc domes I think you have other problems that you have to look at. Reeds maybe leaking, air leak, head not properly torqued, etc...... :beer:

Yea but with that adaptor it is like adding 3.5cc to the size of the head. If the hose was longer (volume added after the little schrader valve) then it would just take more kicks. Since it is before then it adds to the head size. 19cc+3.5cc=22.5cc's I emaild noss machine and he told me that the stock banshee head was about 22 to 23cc's. If you dont think that 1cc matters the difference between 18cc's and the stock 22cc's is only 4 cc's, but the pressure ranges form 197 to 130 at sea level. You cant say that 1 cc doesnt matter.

I tested my banshee last night with a good snap on gauge and I got 154 on the left and 156 on the right.

• 4 weeks later...

kennedy makes a good heavy box Mine has been in shop enviroment for 14 yrs and I do roll from one end of building to other, i wish my box was loaded with snap on, if it were

I know I wouldnt be able to have my Banshee. ----$$$$$ I use proto, carftsman, bondhus, green lea, fluke, crescent, vise grip, milwaukee, makita, ingersoll rand, armstrong, more or less all covered life time warrenties, plus it helps if the industrial suppy salesmen is a cool dude or woman.

I stay away from pitsburg china, tae wkahanee, hong kong, and all that wonderful harbor salvage crap that your lucky if you get done with the job before it breaks, strips, bends, or gets tossed into never never land from that unexpected knuckle-buster.

• 1 year later...
d_25_01.jpg

I have a gauge like this one. The valve is in the main hose while the thread on adaptor is just hollow. I CC the adaptor and it is 3.5cc. That means that the actual size of the combustion chamber or dome size is +3.5CC's. I have 19cc domes at 2000 FT elevation with fresh top end and the compression test with this gauge shows 115 to 120 PSI. Acording to NOSS's Compression Table LINK

with 19cc domes i should be in the 160 psi range. There page shows with stock size domes at 2000ft is 118 psi. The +3.5CC that my compression gauge creates explains why my 19cc domes read 115 to 120 psi. Not a real accurate gauge at all. I am looking for a better one.

The snap on one has the valve right in the end of the hose so no volume is added to the combustion chamber.

19630.JPG

PS. If you think Craftsman is better than Snap On. Why is the standard Craftsman 3/8 ratchet have a shorter handle than the standard 3/8 Snap on ratchet. Maybe because shorter handle = less chance of warrenty work. Plus Snap on ratches have finner teeth in the ratchet so it works better in tighter places.

I have a similar testor with that nice adapter at the end. Mine is a Mighty Vac and seems to be fairly accurate. I was reading about 155 lbs with 19CC domes after porting, after the rings seated it read ~170 PSI.

How did you CC the area inside of the adapter? Also there is some area in the space around the base of the sparkplugs normally anyways? were you able to CC that?

It worked while it lasted.. Worked fine for me untill it took a crap.. Now it reads 15psi... I keep putting it off but I bought it at Sears so I'll see if they'll replace it for me. Next time I'm going with Craftsman with lifetime warranty! Oh... It's less than 6 months old, crap!!

Maybe your part of CA is 15 psi higher than everywhere else. :biggrin: