Shearer inframe jetting

I just installed a 4mm stroker, lightened flywheel (Boonman), Prodesign adjustable advance plate, v-force 2 reeds,boss racing intake manifold,cool head, Passion 12 port stroker porting, Shearer inframe pipes, 35mm PWK's with Dual K+N filters.

The carbs are currently jetted with 52 pilots, DEK needles on the 5th clip position from the top, I recently moved up to 175 mains from the reccomended 160's (starting point).

I have never ridden with these pipes before and seem to have a major bog at full throttle at lower rpm. The bog was worse when I had the 160 mains in. I am finally through with the break in period and was wondering if the main jets seemed a bit big considering most people seem to run 145-160 range. I didn't have much color on the plugs when using the 160's. This thing pulls like a mother on the top end and revs to the moon. Midrange throttle between 1/4-3/4 is all good. I'm at sea level with the temp between 40-60 degrees right now. So I need a sugestion on what to do with the main jets and also how much to advance my adjustable timing plate. Thanks

Hiya,

I Have almost the exact same setup... I'm at sea level. 12 port, Trinity heads with 17cc domes, V-Force 3, Modquad intake, 35mm PWK A/S carbs, Timing +5, and shearer pipes.

Here's what I am running. 165 mains and CEL needles on the middle clip position. 45 pilots. Runs like a dream.

I have about 30 sets of keihin needles... Every combination you can image... every main jet from 140 up to 190+. I experimented with each needle, until I found the one that worked the best.

Basically, what I found was that any needle ending in "L" would make my low-end nice and crisp. The CGL needle ran great, but there was a tiny bit of missing/surging in the 1/2 to 3/4 range. When I moved to a richer taper, DGL, then the midrange was rich and flat. So I went to CEL and the rest is history.

I experimented with alot of other needles with no success... DEK, DGM, DGN, EGL, EGM, EGK, CGM, CEK, CGK... The list goes on...

Good Luck,

BG

BG

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll pick up some more main jets and start lower. I think the problem with the plug color was due to running a little lean on the needle when breaking it in and not going full throttle that much (started with the needles in the 3rd clip from the top when first assembled). I guess I'm being a little to worried about running it lean after dumping some $$$ in to the motor.