long travel rear?

mattw204

LT would be any more travel then stock. you can get two more inches of up travel out of your stock linkage by drilling the lower shock mount 1.5" closer to the frame. also using a two over swingarm. its what dean sundahl uses

what im talking about is not the whole chassis that you have seen (like the blue trinity bike).. but a mod done to the stock rear linkage. i will post a pic as soon as i see my buddys bike. and LT isnt practical for anything but the desert..

this explains exactly what im talking about. on my friends bike...

from another thread..........

ont waste your money on a extension plate. If you go plus 2" you will loose some handling on the tighter trails. However, if your riding desert or dunes you will have more stability on the rythem sections, hole shots and jumping. If your swing arm is not damaged and you are looking for less expencive way for better handling on the trails and jumping, I reccomend you replace the rear shock. Or send you stock shock in and have it re-valved, lengthen the stroke and replace the spring. Also if you move the lower mounting bolt for the shock on the swing arm foward 1 and 1/2" towards the engine you will get more swing arm travel. Its easy to do. Remove the arm relay off the swing arm. Put it in a vice, measure 1 and 1/2" foward of the stock location of shock mounting hole center, drill your new hole for the shock mount. It should be 1 and 1/2 " center to center from new hole to old hole. If you have access to a drill press use it, but not critical to use. If you dont feel comfortable drilling it your self, measure and mark the spot for new hole and take to local machine shop and have them drill it. I have done this to my banshee. I also had my stock shock re-worked and replaced the stock spring with a eboch spring. I have 11 and 3/4" rear wheel travel. Its in-expencive and works great. I have learned this trick from Dean Sundahl. He has been racing Banshee's in Baja for over a decade. He has won King of the dessert 11 years in a row, several Baja 1000's 500's, and 250's. When it comes to Banshee's he is the man!!!!!!! [big Grin]

what does it do for the ride height of your seat though? that travel has to come from somewhere. but you said it was positive travel so does the rear stay the same height and the swinger just tucks up into the frame better?

post some pics, i wanna see this.

well on my friends setup he has a two over swinger but with a stock shock :confused: im not sure if dean revalved it or not but you would need to. the ride hieght looks as it would with a two over but you can adjust that to personal spec anyways.. all you are doing is puting more leverage on the rear shock wich in return gives a little more travel. im gonna build my own linkage that will give me the same result but using my elka zps.. this is all just from what ive seen and read so i havent cycled a rear setup like this.

Edited by DRI4life

well on my friends setup he has a two over swinger but with a stock shock :confused:  im not sure if dean revalved it or not but you would need to. the ride hieght looks as it would with a two over  but you can adjust that to personal spec anyways.. all you are doing is puting more leverage on the rear shock wich in return gives a little more travel. im gonna build my own linkage that will give me the same result but using my elka zps.. this is all just from what ive seen and read  so i havent cycled a rear setup like this.

495253[/snapback]

LT with the same rear shock that most shock builders have a hard time making a dual rate shock b/c it's so short? I wanna see pics...

Mike