Suspension comparisons - 450's 100% better?

DieselTech

My New Custom Creations Arms seem to fit, I can't wait to test tehm out but I might have to wait till october, I have sceen other A-arms that look like they would have hit even worse. 

I dunno about TCS being the only company who cares, I got just as good of customer service from elka whowere working with me to change to shorter resevoirs because of my problem.  But it was better and cheaper to just change -arms.  I'm not to happy with TCS at the moment but perhaps if I bug them enough they will fix my rear shock.

And I Disagree with the 450 doing everything better than the banshee other than going in a straight line...Maybe on a track but the dunes are another story.

A dual rate or self sagging spring on the stock size banshee rear shock would likely just make the rider lose even more travel but would likely be beneficial for an MX track, however a 450 would be better suited for that kind of racing.

494503[/snapback]

I had a terrible experience with elka... I don't feel like going into it on here but i'd fill you in via pm if you want... I tend to forget about the dunes.. closest ones are 6 hours away..... I'd like to see some pics of your bike again justin.. I forgot what it looked like..

Mike

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everybody in here gave you a reasonable reply..... I am a huge smart ass... but I was actualy trying to take this topic somehwere... hoping you would reply with something other than you did.... I can think of 5 threads off hand were this has been discussed at length... Go head and type in "long travel" in the search... Or do you know how to use it? . I have BOTH a 450 and a 'shee.. yes... the 450's are 300times better than the 'shee at doing anything but going in a straight line...I would be more than happy to help you out but this is a LOOOOONNGG discussion... If your going to be a prick to anybody that replies you can go find your help somewhere else :flush: ...

Mike

493725[/snapback]

Mike,

Well, I'm sorry, but maybe you should go back and re-read the 3 responses that I got immediately after my first post and before my second (which you quoted). Not only were they not very helpful, but they didn't even meet the criteria of my question - I was simply asking for substantiated opinions about the differences in a Banshee's suspension and the 450's suspension. The first 3 responses I got (to which I replied as a "prick", according to you) didn't address this AT ALL. What I expected to get were some responses from some people who had owned and ridden Banshees and at least one of the new 450's, and had some substance to them, as opposed to just opinions like "I think the 450's are better".

Now, as far as long travel setups go, well again, since neither Banshees nor the new 450's are equipped with long travel suspensions in stock form, I didn't see how that was relevent, and therefore why I didn't do a search for it. Your comment about the 450's being 300% better than a 'Shee at anything except going in a straight line interests me - I'd like to hear the WHYs behind that statement, because as I said, a friend of mine that has ridden all 3 ('Shee, TRX & YFZ) said he wasn't really that impressed with the 450's. Maybe he's just not astute enough to notice, I'm not sure, as we've never ridden together (I've known hime from work for about a year now).

I came to this site and joined because I expected to get better responses here than at some other forums that I visit, and the first few responses to this post left me a little disappointed. I wasn't trying to be a prick, but I realize that I must have come accross that way. I just want to make the most cost-effective upgrades possible to my 'Shee's suspension because I'm 34 and I can't handle the same level of pounding as I did 15-20 years ago. And I really can't afford to miss work for an extended period of time due to an injury (I'm already out now for at least 4 months due to a shattered tibia in my right leg). So, IF the 450's really are 300% better, then maybe I'm better off selling the 'Shee and buying a 450 (though I'd likely get the new Suzuki over the TRX or YFZ) as opposed to sinking huge money into the 'Shee's suspension. There are things about my Banshee that I really like, and it's paid for. I'm not spending $7000 on a new 450 if I can make my 'Shee handle on par or better for $2-3k, as I feel the powerplant it superior (and cheaper to add power to, $ for $).

first off why does someone keep saying the banshee rear shock is too small... doesnt make sense :huh: . i have a duel rate that works perfect.. it all depends on what kind of riding you do for what spring ate you use. or persenal spec (no preload or single rate).. imo the 450 shocks on a banshee is a joke.. and after riding hard on them for twenty minutes there toast. dont waste your time..

now to say that elka is a step down from axis or tcs is just BS. they are all top of the line shocks and all perform simular (yes i have rode on all shocks and even the 450 stockers)

bottom line is you can bolt anything to your banshee that makes it handle better but are you good enough to put it to use to tell a diference.. buying another quad wont make you a better rider.. my suggestion to you is to keep what you got and search ebay for a front end kit. you dont want a lawn mower :D

bottom line is you can bolt anything to your banshee that makes it handle better but are you good enough to put it to use to tell a diference.. buying another quad wont make you a better rider.. my suggestion to you is to keep what you got and search ebay for a front end kit. you dont want a lawn mower :D

495992[/snapback]

Yes, this is true. Basically, I like to ride MX, and I have pushed the Shee's suspension to the point (at least the front) where I feel that the bike limits my ability as a rider, but more importantly, that IF I don't get my landing NEAR-PERFECT, I'm gonna get hurt. That's what happened last year at the track when I hurt my chest. So, it's a matter of economics - stick major money into the Banshee's suspension (my 1st choice, as I like my ride) or ditch it and get a 450 (seems to be the majority of what people think based on the suspension's superiority).

I'm always trying to better my skills as a rider - that's the most effective way to go faster (at least safely). Thanks for your input - so do you have any recommendations for front end kits?

I own a yfz and a banshee. I've ridden a few TRX's. I've ridden quite a few of the aftermarket banshee shocks out there.

YFZ shocks are better than stock banshee shocks, but they still blow.

TRX shocks are pretty similar to YFZ shocks

Old style Works are slightly better than stock YFZ/TRX shocks, but are still pretty harsh

TCS is the best bang for the buck when it comes to front suspension

TCS rear is okay, but not great

Axis is cherry, period!

Elkas are good shocks, but I have yet to try one that really impressed me like TCS or Axis

For the price conscious looking for a really sweet setup, I'd recommend TCS up front and something else in the rear. You could save urself some bucks by going with a TCS rear shock rebuild in the rear, but its not nearly as nice. Diesel, even if you buy a new 450 ur still gonna get the shit beat out of you on their stock suspension - ur better off spending the money on arms, swingarm, axle and shocks for your shee. With good suspension, you'll be looking at ur front tires to see if they're even on the ground (its that smooth)!

Yes, this is true. Basically, I like to ride MX, and I have pushed the Shee's suspension to the point (at least the front) where I feel that the bike limits my ability as a rider, but more importantly, that IF I don't get my landing NEAR-PERFECT, I'm gonna get hurt. That's what happened last year at the track when I hurt my chest. So, it's a matter of economics - stick major money into the Banshee's suspension (my 1st choice, as I like my ride) or ditch it and get a 450 (seems to be the majority of what people think based on the suspension's superiority).

I'm always trying to better my skills as a rider - that's the most effective way to go faster (at least safely). Thanks for your input - so do you have any recommendations for front end kits?

496018[/snapback]

If you're riding mx the stock suspension is definately un-safe... If all you ride is mx... and by mx I mean nothing but actual tracks... I would look into another option (ltr, yfz, trx)... It'll cost you a good 2g's to get a 'shee (or anything for that matter) close to mx spec..... Even with a perfect setup 'shee... it's no match for a 450 with the right setup... Which is what your competition will be... I don't even think I could ride a stock 'shee... I'd prolly kill myself...

Mike

wallrat - thanks for the info - I've never even heard of TCS. I'll have to check them out. I saw Alba arms (+2+1) w/Elka rec's for $850, and thought that was a helluva deal.......

txblueshee - thanks for your thoughts as well. I do hope that I didn't offend anyone here with my previous remarks. I don't ride MX exclusively - I also trail/woods ride, kinda like XC style stuff too. I'm not really planning to be a super-competative MXer - I've just always wanted to try it, and I would *like* to not get seriously injured while also at least keep from being in last place all the time.

Thanks to everyone else that replied as well. Can anyone give me thier opinions on actual suspension components that you've used, and how you liked (or disliked) them?

wallrat - thanks for the info - I've never even heard of TCS. I'll have to check them out. I saw Alba arms (+2+1) w/Elka rec's for $850, and thought that was a helluva deal.......

txblueshee - thanks for your thoughts as well. I do hope that I didn't offend anyone here with my previous remarks. I don't ride MX exclusively - I also trail/woods ride, kinda like XC style stuff too. I'm not really planning to be a super-competative MXer - I've just always wanted to try it, and I would *like* to not get seriously injured while also at least keep from being in last place all the time.

Thanks to everyone else that replied as well. Can anyone give me thier opinions on actual suspension components that you've used, and how you liked (or disliked) them?

496197[/snapback]

Takes more than that to get me riled up....

I loved the way my elkas worked with the quicksand arms on my 'shee... the guy doing there valving now sucks ass... I also don't think they use as high quality internals as axis and PEP do.... I have seen these three shocks apart at johhny hale's race shop... he tried explaining on what was what....man there's alot of shit in there :confused: ... The only shocks I've had serious seat time in on a 'shee are TCS and ELKA... TCS stomped them... Granted the elkas were straight from them... Your best off buying them from a race shop.. I've never ridden a set of axis on a 'shee but I don't see how they could be anything short of amazing..... Ohlins and progressive are REALLY stepping it up but none of this pertains to 'shees since they are a dying breed...

Mike

450 shocks are too long. My brother insisted on the 450 shocks on his shee and ripped out the lower ball joints. They are 300% better to someone that has never rode on anything else besides stock shocks. Axis would then be 900% better. You race mx call shane and have your rear rebuilt with a dual rate set up. For your front just buy some used works and send them to shane. http://wolfpackracing.com/

I have 2 shee's i ride on a regular basis (almost 90% of my riding is at glamis mind you)

One has COMPLETELY stock shocks and suspension (2003 LE)

The second(2000) has +2+1 roll arms and PEP rezzies up front with stock swingarm and Precision concepts rebuilt stock rear (single rate spring.)It also has a +4 width axle too.

All set shocks up for a 200# rider.

You can fly through the whoops faster and for longer stretches before arm pump sets in on the suspension worked bike. it rides smoother. Is more stable.

But, From stock to worked you will notice a huge difference.

Edited by Toybreaker