Race Gas

banshee350twin

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that depends on if the race fuel is oxygenated ... oxygenated race fuel will definately give ya better throttle response and a slight amount of hp for ya. where as non oxygenated race fuel is only good if our running enough compression or a bit of timing advance. but remember higher octane does cause the combustion chamber to  run cooler, so all in all its up to you if it's worth it or not.

498900[/snapback]

In most places, regular pump gas is oxygenated.

But, yes, cooler combustion chamber temperatures will be often seen from running high octane. Why? Because it doesn't burn as efficiently as lower octane fuels.

End result, too high of octane will cause performance LOSS, not gain. Unless you have the compression/timing advance to need race fuel, it's not gonna gain you a damn thing.

A lot of people think "Higher Octane=Higher Power" when it's simply not correct.

Octane is a measure of detonation resistance--not power ability. You want gas to ignite and burn. The higher the octane rating (anti-knock index) the more the fuel resists ignition.

Once again boils down to my original statement. Unless you running high compression (static or mechanical) or increase the timing, race gas will do nothing for you. I'll add to that: Race gas used when not *needed* can actually cause power LOSS.

I've run C16 or VP import in 2.0 liter cars running 30+ psi and putting out 500+ whp, since the late 90s. Back before using standalone ECUs and being able to adjust the timing maps to compensate for even higher Octance-rated fuels, I'd see drops in MPH/Dyno figures.

A stock Banshee has no need for higher-then-pump gas Octane.

Alcohol is cheaper but alcohol bikes sure are thirsty.Mine is anyways so cost wise it's about the same.If you've ever seen a alcohol jet compared to a gas jet you'll know why they're sooooo thirsty.

Purging my bike isn't a big deal but there is times I get home and wish I could just throw it in the shop.If I run race gas I could though.For a drag bike,alcohol is worth it.For a play bike,I'd stick with gas.

Some of the money you guys have to give for it though is just insane.What do they think they're selling,Gold?

In most places, regular pump gas is oxygenated.

But, yes, cooler combustion chamber temperatures will be often seen from running high octane.  Why?  Because it doesn't burn as efficiently as lower octane fuels.

End result, too high of octane will cause performance LOSS, not gain.  Unless you have the compression/timing advance to need race fuel, it's not gonna gain you a damn thing.

A lot of people think "Higher Octane=Higher Power" when it's simply not correct.

Octane is a measure of detonation resistance--not power ability.  You want gas to ignite and burn.  The higher the octane rating (anti-knock index) the more the fuel resists ignition. 

Once again boils down to my original statement.  Unless you running high compression (static or mechanical) or increase the timing, race gas will do nothing for you.  I'll add to that:  Race gas used when not *needed* can actually cause power LOSS.

498974[/snapback]

Thats exactly what I heard from the place I get it. My best friend works at a performance shop and his boss and I got into the whole need or not need. Hit it on the head from what he told me. I belive he sells Sunoco 112 and it up to 6 bucks a gallon. No better deal buying by the drum :angry: .

RIPPEN

• 2 weeks later...